• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Reds 2024

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
HMP hasn't even debuted in the senior team - there's absolutely no chance he is this season's 10. It will be Lynagh/Creighton/O'Connor.

A reminder that Lynagh also featured in 12 of the Reds' 16 matches in 2023... I'm not sure how you can suggest writing off a 20yo who has shown immense potential because he's had a run of injuries in the late/post season.

Don’t think Im writing off Lynagh but more to do with the season that HMP just had. - Just because someone has played more games or is older doesn’t mean they are better.

HMP is the talent and everyone talking about whilst not much going on with lynagh because of his health.

Anyways I’ve given my Smokey for 10. Let’s see what transpires

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
HMP is talented and exciting; the game control and maturity required at Super Rugby for a playmaker is a further step up though.

Hope they don’t rush him

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Let him hopefully brain QPR and come off the bench if up to it for the Reds.

Very talented kid but it's a huge ask to take the U20s backup right into Super Rugby.

Well in regards to Lynagh - he was playing colts and dropped straight into super rugby…

I personally think he was rushed. Only thing he looked good was his kicking…. A bit of qpr rugby could do Tom some good as well

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Well in regards to Lynagh - he was playing colts and dropped straight into super rugby…

I personally think he was rushed. Only thing he looked good was his kicking…. A bit of qpr rugby could do Tom some good as well
I don't disagree that Lynagh was played too early (or at least too much too early), but the solution to that is hardly to do it to McLaughlin-Phillips too. Lynagh's kicking game and control is a significant advantage there too - it's developed well beyond most tens his age and something that is less effected by the step up to super. Even then I would've preferred we were in a place where we could've played him less last year.

As it stands I'd like to see Creighton getting first shot and sharing the role with Lynagh. A couple of cameos feels about right for McLaughlin-Phillips at this stage, maybe a bit more if he's viable as a utility option. Ideally you just want him to get enough of a taste to know what the level above feels like before heading back to club rugby.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)

I thought Lynagh had some very solid outings at 10, demonstrating a composure and ability to read the game that wouldn't be expected for someone his age / experience level.

Absolutely agree that he could do with some more QPR under his belt, and just game time in general - and the same can be said for HMP. I would be surprised if this wasn't the plan for Lynagh in '23, but the Reds' hand was forced due O'Connor and Creighton's injuries at various times throughout the season.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I think this is pretty on the money - 10 and 12 will be the interesting decisions imo. If Lynagh doesn't start 10 (which I think he will), I reckon we'll see Creighton there, with JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) at 12 regardless. One of Creighton/Lynagh (whichever isn't starting) and Paisami/Henry/Annan fighting for 22 and 23.

I also wouldn't mind persisting with Petaia at 15, where he looked very strong last season - but I'm not sure what that means for Campbell who has looked a bit out of place at 14. I'd have Wright starting over Uru too.

1696452624860.png

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I would have Wright in the starting team, if he stays fit I think he will be best in team and be a Wallaby 6 by seasons end.
Yeah - at some point in the past I suggested Uru, Wilson & McReight as our best back row but Wright last year reminded me just how good he is. His impact is delivered by his nous not brute force but a very, very good player, at super level at least. The only thing that might count against him is if we think we need another player to provide physical impact to lighten the load on Wilson.

Last year was also a reminder though that these discussions, while always fun, are normally purely theoretical as injury always plays a significant part. Given our improvement in the front row if we could play even half of our games with our best 7 players for lock and backrow positions I would be very happy. If we can’t then it still looks a decent step down to the next best in each spot from what I’ve seen.

From the little posted here Cormac Daly sounds like a good pick up in a position where we had room for an emerging talent. It would be great to see another lock pick up who was already at Super level. Maybe someone with a bit of experience to fill a 12 month void to give Daly show if he can step up and to allow us to secure a top line lock for 2025 (would love to see Hockings lured back).

With regards to the respective 10s it is just good to have some genuine options across the development profile. I feel O’Connor is more likely at 12, but gives us an experienced head at 10. I think Creighton has come along quite nicely but at this point he seems more a depth player who can cover 10, 12 & 15 (which are extremely important) than a long term fixture in the 10. I like what I see in both Lynagh & McLaughlin-Phillips and I really look forward to seeing them grow/develop over the next 2 yrs.

Last edited:

Sauron

Larry Dwyer (12)
Can anybody tell me what is available in the reds membership store, especially for kids? You have to become a member before you can even see what’s available.
Cheers

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Can anybody tell me what is available in the reds membership store, especially for kids? You have to become a member before you can even see what’s available.
Cheers

in terms of merchandise?

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
in terms of merchandise?

I assume the question was regarding the store where the membership credit can be spent which, if I recall correctly from last season, had separate products.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
The press release is full of silly overblown numbers.

If there is 16,000 genuine female participants of rugby well then they definitely don’t live near my club or any of the clubs we play. Why do we consistently peddle out numbers like this to try and fool people about the health of the game.

What is a participant? Someone that was exposed to a 25min HPE lesson once a year at their school? It’s like a Brussel sprout farmer claiming 2 million Australians love their product because they walked past it while in the supermarket.

I think we are going to get a half baked centralization but I guess that’s better than currently offered.

I have been shocked at the decline of rugby numbers in qld since I returned a year ago. It maybe healthy in Brisbane and against the national trend, but where I live it definitely isn’t strong. It’s not on life support either, don’t get me wrong but it’s a shadow of where it was.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The press release is full of silly overblown numbers.

If there is 16,000 genuine female participants of rugby well then they definitely don’t live near my club or any of the clubs we play. Why do we consistently peddle out numbers like this to try and fool people about the health of the game.

What is a participant? Someone that was exposed to a 25min HPE lesson once a year at their school? It’s like a Brussel sprout farmer claiming 2 million Australians love their product because they walked past it while in the supermarket.

I think we are going to get a half baked centralization but I guess that’s better than currently offered.

Participation criteria is the same across all sports.

I agree with you that it inflates the numbers compared to what most people would consider an active participant (registered with a club for a full season) but there is no point trying to opt out of the agreed criteria given it is linked to public funding etc.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I have been shocked at the decline of rugby numbers in qld since I returned a year ago. It maybe healthy in Brisbane and against the national trend, but where I live it definitely isn’t strong. It’s not on life support either, don’t get me wrong but it’s a shadow of where it was.
The release stops short of saying there was an increase in the number of players in the state.

I think anyone with a pulse on the game at school level knows those numbers have been dropping off, pretty much for the last 5 years.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
The release stops short of saying there was an increase in the number of players in the state.

I think anyone with a pulse on the game at school level knows those numbers have been dropping off, pretty much for the last 5 years.
Longer - I was coaching at a school from ‘14-‘18 and numbers were dropping year on year during that time, and even before that. I think I’ve said this before, but when they moved rugby to Term 3, a not-insignificant number chose to continue with basketball instead.