• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Reds 2024

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
My theory is that Vunivalu has been playing through a long term injury and has only started coming good in the last couple of games. Obviously pure speculation on my part, but every time he tries to put the pedal to the metal, he clutches a hamstring.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
My theory is that Vunivalu has been playing through a long term injury and has only started coming good in the last couple of games. Obviously pure speculation on my part, but every time he tries to put the pedal to the metal, he clutches a hamstring.
Agree that certainly looked a big part of it and there has been plenty of talk about his problems with his hammys.

Last night definitely seemed the most comfortable I’ve seen him moving.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I think some credit must go to the attack coach. So often the frustration watching Suli and the like is that they get shit ball (or bugger all ball). Last night he was being put into space or at least one on one situations. And we saw the results.
Is there a specific attack coach or is it just Les Kiss running the attack?

NCT

Herbert Moran (7)
I think some credit must go to the attack coach. So often the frustration watching Suli and the like is that they get shit ball (or bugger all ball). Last night he was being put into space or at least one on one situations. And we saw the results.
Agree Reg, however I have noticed that he seems surprisingly easy to bring to ground for such a big man. Also his off the ball work seems to be being on the back of rucks where he isn't much value, I would prefer he was ranging off the ruck to take a pass and use his power to get over the gain line.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
article during the week about Ryan Smith mentions this:

He’s made 22 tackles in the opening two games and hasn’t missed one. It’s the sort of completion rate that you need to put a stutter in one of the best attacking sides in Super Rugby Pacific at Suncorp Stadium on Saturday night.

well he made 21 tackles last night without a miss. Including a huge one at the end that we got the turnover on. Legend

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
It was also evident how hard he was working to keep connected with his outside defender a couple of times when the Chiefs threatened to break out.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
With Suli - yes his opportunities have increased, yes his fitness seems improved, no he didnt clutch a hammy in Round 3 - first time I can remember.

But ALSO - his defensive positioning and set up in attack was hugely improved last night.

And mostly - gee he seemed to be enjoying himself.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Not sure how true it is but the word is RA aren't in negotiations to offer him a top up. Whether that is due to the temporary void at the top and will change with Horne and Schmidt in their riles or if he's not seen as worth it I don't know, but if they aren't interested in making him a serious offer I can't see how we could keep him on his own. Not with the money he could command in Japan, Europe or the NRL.

wamberal99

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Not sure how true it is but the word is RA aren't in negotiations to offer him a top up. Whether that is due to the temporary void at the top and will change with Horne and Schmidt in their riles or if he's not seen as worth it I don't know, but if they aren't interested in making him a serious offer I can't see how we could keep him on his own. Not with the money he could command in Japan, Europe or the NRL.
He had such huge promise, but he just hasn't fulfilled it. Let him go.

dru

Tim Horan (67)

Fabulous player, but but funds need to be prioritised. I'll be wtching closely to see some consistency and not just malfeasance where Petaia is simply "lucky" due to timing.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
He was pretty much the best Australian winger in super last year before injury.

He has all the attributes to be a good 13 or 15 but he just isn’t consistent there. I’d really like to see him put on the wing and left there for an extended period. Campbell covers fullback.

From a salary point of view that probably means he doesn’t command as much and the reality is it means we are going to continue to lose some guys but I don’t think we should be just letting talent walk with trying to keep them either.

Reactions: dru

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
It seems a bit odd to not offer a top up to a player picked in just about every Wallabies team when available for the last several years
That's kind of the problem though isn't it.....

Despite his obvious talents, he's started 20 out of 48 matches since his debut at the WC and only around half the Red's games

You probably aren't getting a huge amount of value for money

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Petaia has a relatively long list of injuries for a bloke who’s only 24. Clearly not everything working so if there is money on the table outside of Super Rugby worth more than his current deal, I think he would take it.

If anything, games like last night show that the Reds gameplan almost looked more fluid without him.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Bit odd if JP doesn't get a top up.

With Marika gone, the only outside backs I can name off the top of my head getting a RA top up would be Kellaway and Wright (surely Jorgensen doesn't get a huge top up just yet)?