• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Reds 2024

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
That's kind of the problem though isn't it.....

Despite his obvious talents, he's started 20 out of 48 matches since his debut at the WC and only around half the Red's games

You probably aren't getting a huge amount of value for money
He's got 27 caps total - so 56% of the 48 matches. Not bad considering he was out for basically two full international seasons. The injuries are of course a concern, but (touch wood) it's seeming more and more like he's on top of them. He played basically every game last season for the Reds, with concussion being why he missed a couple.

To me, it would just seem bizarre that RA (both Schmidt and other decision makers) have decided they no longer see him, an incumbent Wallaby, as worthwhile - especially after a run of good health, a very strong 2023, and this early in the Super season.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
We really poked the bear nearly bankrupting ourselves with this Sua'ali'i caper...
Possibly a case of Jordan's agent just doing his job, but sadly right now the pull of a Wallabies jersey isnt what it was. It will change in time and we will rightly condemn those who who use it as a bargaining chip to play jail rugby. Sadly, now we just have to suck it up.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Rumours are, he has a pretty big offer from Japanese rugby, and RA couldn't (wouldn't?) get close to it, so haven't even entered into negotiations.

This is an NRL v Japan battle for his signature now

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Rumours are, he has a pretty big offer from Japanese rugby, and RA couldn't (wouldn't?) get close to it, so haven't even entered into negotiations.

If true… it’s pretty stupid negotiating by RA…. St George make some pretty stupid decisions, but cant see an offer by them blowing RA out of the water on a player unproven in the NRL.

Lets just hope this is all part of the negotiating dance taking place with managers leaking rumours(made up or not) to inflate the clients value.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
If true… it’s pretty stupid negotiating by RA…. St George make some pretty stupid decisions, but cant see an offer by them blowing RA out of the water on a player unproven in the NRL.

Lets just hope this is all part of the negotiating dance taking place with managers leaking rumours(made up or not) to inflate the clients value.
I’d think a sabattical program maybe comes into play here whether officially or unofficially.
it should be the norm to offer with talented players with 25+ Caps or so who are still in the frame.
Maybe he does 2025 in aus and 2026 in Japan and 2027 in aus
Frees up money for RA.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
If I’m Petaia I’m looking for a multi year guaranteed deal and I think he’s more likely to find that outside of Super Rugby.

Not so far fetched for him to try and go for a 3 year deal with the hope he’s air dropped into the Wallabies for the RWC in 2027.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
thats why Marky M (Nawaqanitawase) left. Wanted a long contract ( which these days is a tick), RA wouldnt give him one. they then sign JS for nearly $2 million and he said, righto I'm off.
I hate jail rugby more than syphilis but hard to disagree with MM on this - though I think he's probably fucked his rugby career (missing Lions and RWC) with the number of talented wingers and outside backs coming through the system.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Thats a bummer. At least from Japan he'd still be Wallaby eligible.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So for our Wales game, expect wallabies to be unavailable. Which rules out (likely) McDermott, McReight, Faessler and perhaps Wilson, Paisami, Vunivalu and Petaia. I’d like to think a few more but let’s not go crazy.

So we could see a team like:

1 Hodgman
2 Nasser
3 Nonggorr
4 Blyth
5 Smith
6 Bryant
7 Wright [c]
8 Uru
9 Thomas
10 Lynagh
11 Ryan
12 Henry
13 Flook
14 Grealy
15 Campbell

16 Asiata
17 Ravai
18 JTA
19 Daly
20 Brial
21 Werchon
22 McLaughlin-Phillips
23 Aubrey

Wilson

David Codey (61)
So for our Wales game, expect wallabies to be unavailable. Which rules out (likely) McDermott, McReight, Faessler and perhaps Wilson, Paisami, Vunivalu and Petaia. I’d like to think a few more but let’s not go crazy.

So we could see a team like:

1 Hodgman
2 Nasser
3 Nonggorr
4 Blyth
5 Smith
6 Bryant
7 Wright [c]
8 Uru
9 Thomas
10 Lynagh
11 Ryan
12 Henry
13 Flook
14 Grealy
15 Campbell

16 Asiata
17 Ravai
18 JTA
19 Daly
20 Brial
21 Werchon
22 McLaughlin-Phillips
23 Aubrey
Not sure what Fiji's test schedule looks like, but assuming they have something on Ravai will probably also be unavailable. Also the under 20s world cup runs through to the 19th of July, so I'd expect players like McLaughlin-Phillips to be unavailable. Hopefully RA isn't trying to schedule an Australia A game that weekend.

Last edited:

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Nonggorr likely to be with Wobs yeh? Hasn’t been playing badly and is already part of the last squad.
Given its the Georgia game that weekend I expect they might release most of the guys from outside the 23 for this. So Nonggorr would have to be ahead of Tupou and Ala'alatoa to miss out. He's definitely putting himself in the Wallabies frame though.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Australia would be pretty likely to run out a bit of a dirt tracker team for the Georgia game wouldn't they?
Other years yeah, but I don't think they'll muck around too much this year. Schmidt will want to work out his best 23 and give them as much time together as possible before the rugby championship.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Bit odd if JP doesn't get a top up.

With Marika gone, the only outside backs I can name off the top of my head getting a RA top up would be Kellaway and Wright (surely Jorgensen doesn't get a huge top up just yet)?
Suli is still on one

They offered Markymark 750 or 800 total, he took a big cut to go to league. I imagine they would have a similar offer for Petaia, especially as they would have likely been expecting to offer both a topup (albeit a smaller one for petaia originally i suppose)