• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Reds 2024

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I reckon people are currently only seeing the mistakes Petaia makes in his transition to a fullback whilst not crediting what he does very well. He's an excellent defender, very powerful in contact, has a relatively rare combination of size and pace and finishes chances.

He's finally getting on top of his fitness, is developing a broader skillset, is an experienced test player and is still just 24. People saying he is 'only a winger' are crazy. Guys like Grealy might be good enough to stand in when he's absent at Super Rugby level but its a big step down on Petaia IMO.

I still have him starting in the Wallabies (assuming Koroibete will retire).

Homer

Ted Fahey (11)
Watching that section of play trying to find when the red card tackle was - it was pretty evident just how often the Reds were having to make their front-on tackles on the ball carrier from "above", because the carrier was getting down so low. Like this....

View attachment 18416

I wonder if that's trained now, to avoid the front-on head-to-head risk?
Sorry if the tackler has bent his knees and hips to get into a tackling position and then the attacker drops his height into the defence that's not red. Head contact unavoidable but there is mitigation, yellow only.
Compare that to Lachy Swinton's red last year.

Reactions: Ras

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Sorry if the tackler has bent his knees and hips to get into a tackling position and then the attacker drops his height into the defence that's not red. Head contact unavoidable but there is mitigation, yellow only.
Compare that to Lachy Swinton's red last year.
Presumably the Reds would quite like to avoid yellow cards as well, so they are avoiding some of these the head-on tackles

Wallabies

Frank Nicholson (4)
I hate to be that guy but I haven’t seen any previous chats in this thread on this topic. Do you think the reds have a chance of winning or at going to grand finals this year. I personally genuinely think they have a shot but I want to hear your guys opinion.

LevitatingSocks

Chris McKivat (8)
I reckon people are currently only seeing the mistakes Petaia makes in his transition to a fullback whilst not crediting what he does very well. He's an excellent defender, very powerful in contact, has a relatively rare combination of size and pace and finishes chances.

He's finally getting on top of his fitness, is developing a broader skillset, is an experienced test player and is still just 24. People saying he is 'only a winger' are crazy. Guys like Grealy might be good enough to stand in when he's absent at Super Rugby level but its a big step down on Petaia IMO.

Petaia definitely has the higher ceiling between him and Jock Campbell, but Campbell is a safer set of hands that will do the basics right and allow the team around him to function better.

Maybe that changes as Petaia has a consistent run of games at 15.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I hate to be that guy but I haven’t seen any previous chats in this thread on this topic. Do you think the reds have a chance of winning or at going to grand finals this year. I personally genuinely think they have a shot but I want to hear your guys opinion.
If they can maintain their current levels of performance - clearly yes.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
It’s too early to say. The games so far have been very positive but still with plenty of room for improvement. But teams will also only now be starting to see patterns in how Les has them operating and teams will start working on breaking that down a lot more.

We also have very young playmakers. Often with young players in their first season or so of pro rugby they start off like world beaters but fall off as a full pro season hits them.

Having said that there is actually a lot of experience in the squad and there has always been plenty of talent in this group. And I really like that our game is being built around strong fundamentals - strong lineout, good/improving scrum, solid kicking game, accurate tackle completion, good discipline. Over the last 2 yrs a recurring theme has been our tackle accuracy has been blown out when we’ve played the Kiwi teams. This year we played two of the strongest Kiwi teams and matches up very well. So there are plenty of good signs.

But I’ve just seen too many teams start looking like champions and end the season looking like chumps. If Kiss can keep building the team off this base than at the very least will be tough to play.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Is the hit on Tom Lynagh more than a penalty? It is late but it isn't high. I don't think it is egregiously late that it would be considered for a yellow card. I think there's enough of a wrap to suggest that the tackler has used arms in the tackle.
Yea it should be more then a penalty, it was blatantly late blindsiding a player unprepared for a collision

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yea it should be more then a penalty, it was blatantly late blindsiding a player unprepared for a collision

Looking at it a few more times, I agree. It is definitely late enough to warrant a yellow card.

Ben O'Keefe consistently seems to ignore foul play or try and mitigate what should be yellow and red card offences down to penalties or nothing. Given World Rugby's stance on dangerous play I'm amazed it hasn't worked against him in getting big test matches etc.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)

I agree I think Petaia is the second best winger we have, I'd have him in front of everyone but Koro.. That includes Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase).