• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Reds 2024

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I don't see getting either Jordan or Mafi as being a huge upgrade, especially not in an area we should be spending a significant amount of money for depth on.

Ravai will be close to retirement so we need to find another loose head. We would also do well to find centres who can stay healthy for more than 3 days. We probably need someone with a cool head to replace JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) as well.

Yes if Ravai is done after this season, I actually see a 'cheaper' Rebels option as a good one (I imagine Gibbon and Eloff to have higher costs). Kailea has been the regular bench prop, is Big broad body who hasn't put a foot wrong and spent time here I believe? Would like to see the Force pick up the bulk of players, they don't have a decent LHP and Medrano is just as likely to leave as Ravai.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Angry meme face' Baby Organic T-Shirt | Spreadshirt

Red Twist

Allen Oxlade (6)
I feel hooker, (after Faessler) has scope for a bit of an upgrade. We have Nasser, Asiata and Craig (devel).

IF the Rebels fold, Uelese, Mafi & Dobbins are available, and it seems like that the force Kaituu will be out of the Force, with the pickup of BPA, Dolly and a strong performing Horton.

Do we shift along a Nasser or Asiata and strengthen our top hooking duo with a drive for a Super Rugby starter quality hooker like the force have done?
Its a shame BPA didn't come back.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
He's nowhere near the same class but its good timing that Floyd Aubrey has been in great club form of late.

Only issue I have with the next generation coming through Reg is, they're still built like boys coming up against Orcs. That goes for Taj, Tim and Flloyd. We're very light (both depth and weight) in the backs with Henry, Petaia, JOC (James O'Connor) and Flook all out.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
That goes for Taj, Tim and Flloyd. We're very light (both depth and weight) in the backs with Henry, Petaia, JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) and Flook all out.
Pre-season when I was crowing about our centres depth there was always a little voice saying 'what if' in respect to injuries, given the players' histories. Honestly unbelievable that it's transpired, but even still, our backline isn't looking that weak. It really highlights the usefulness of having a number of versatile backs who can plug holes as required.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Only issue I have with the next generation coming through Reg is, they're still built like boys coming up against Orcs. That goes for Taj, Tim and Flloyd. We're very light (both depth and weight) in the backs with Henry, Petaia, JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) and Flook all out.
JOC (James O'Connor) is done, surely?

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
Petaia is a loss but how many games in a row has he played? How much team cohesion has he built constantly coming in and out of the side? And all the positions he has played don’t make him an asset for the Reds when he gets injured so frequently. On his day, he can help win a game but I haven’t seen him dominate a match since he was in year 12.

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
  • Center : 25 times ( Outside Centre 34% )
  • Winger : 35 times ( Right Wing 32%, Left Wing 16% )
  • Fullback : 13 times ( Fullback 18% )

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Before this, he has played 70% of Reds games in past 4 seasons, not a great figure but not the worst.

I’d say he is a victim of his own talent in the way he gets shoved around positions, I think he is an excellent winger but has potential to play other positions so constantly gets shunted around

LevitatingSocks

Chris McKivat (8)
IMO - best position is fullback.
It's an interesting debate. His theoretical best position is fullback if you look at his athleticism, physical gifts, and talent. But somehow the player on the field has never equaled the sum of the parts when he's wearing the 15 jersey.

He seems far more comfortable on the wing to me. I feel better when Jock Campbell is at fullback for the Reds if that says anything.

Sad outcome for Petaia, hope he heals fast and comes back better than ever.