• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Reds 2025

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
So a lot of it’s been covered on here but listening to this weeks Inside Line podcast and their mail on player movements - saying reds are looking good for Canham, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Daugunu and solid interest in Lancaster
Fuck me that's huge if true. Directly addresses two of their key deficiencies being a lack of depth in the outside backs and a lack of size/physicality in the pack.

Is Vunivalu still on some kind of contract for next year? Need to jettison that bloke asap.

Last edited:

Reds Rick

Frank Nicholson (4)
Fuck me that's huge if true. Directly addresses two of their key deficiencies being a lack of depth in the outside backs and a lack of size/physicality in the pack.

Is Vunivalu still on some kind of contract for next year? Need to jettison that bloke asap.
Yeah would be a pretty stacked squad if all comes to pass.
You’d think there’d be a fair bit of money tied up with vunivalu. It was also mentioned Petaia may not be sticking around too.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
It's a group of moves which make sense based on the other rumours that were floating about. Not sure Reds is where I'd send Lancaster but all the teams seem... ok for wingers.

I also don't imagine the permission to re-sign Ravi will be forthcoming, so I envisage you seeking to add one of Gibbon and IAK to the squad too depending on how much faith/long term planning there is in Fa'agase and/or ETS Looseheads.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I would put Lancaster only behind Petaia and roughly on the level with Ryan. He'd certainly be an upgrade on blokes like Grealy and Vunivalu. Daugunu also covers both wings and 13 so great depth option.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
The "problem" is see with signing Daugunu is that he is another lighter back to go with all our other lighter backs. The Reds are crying out for a good big body in their backline and playing above your weight just doesn't cut it when you're playing against guys 10-15 kgs heavier than you. Like ALB last weekend.

Reactions: TSR

Sword of Justice

Bill McLean (32)
The "problem" is see with signing Daugunu is that he is another lighter back to go with all our other lighter backs. The Reds are crying out for a good big body in their backline and playing above your weight just doesn't cut it when you're playing against guys 10-15 kgs heavier than you. Like ALB last weekend.
True but Ardie Savea is technically pretty light and doesn’t seem it. Whilst Daugunu is not Savea but he does play heavier. He is probably the best back I have personally ever seen at the breakdown, without hyperbole.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I would put Lancaster only behind Petaia and roughly on the level with Ryan. He'd certainly be an upgrade on blokes like Grealy and Vunivalu. Daugunu also covers both wings and 13 so great depth option.
Grealy has done enough that he won't be out of a starting job somewhere. Nice contrast style on the field if you have the big athlete on the other.

Reds have to juggle how many outside backs can fill up a squad and cause issues elsewhere. A lot depends on Petaia still. Lancaster is a big unit at almost 6'3 and 95kg and the scope to carry a bit more weight. He was tracked in the same speed metrics as Toole at the 7s program which is pretty impressive given he'd have 10kg on Ryan and Toole.

Henry is the other question mark in the squad.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
I dunno about that one Sully. Flipio has definitely put some size on him in the last year or two, to the point where outside of Vunivalu and Petaia, Flipio would be the "biggest" in the Reds back line for the 25 season.

Flipio and Flook both cover that 13/14/11 position which we struggled with covering when Flook went down.

Henry is the only one built solidly enough, but he just can't string the games together.

Homer

Larry Dwyer (12)
So a lot of it’s been covered on here but listening to this weeks Inside Line podcast and their mail on player movements - saying reds are looking good for Canham, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Daugunu and solid interest in Lancaster
so who gets punted from the current 2nd row? Players wont stick around if they arent playing.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Assuming Uru plays backrow, i rate the current locks in the below order, however out of those only Daly and Rori haven't re-signed for 2025 so not so clean-cut.

Smith
Blyth
Daly
Vest
Rori

Top Bottom