• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I imagine this elite club is much appreciated around here?

In which case, show me the dotted line . . .

Reactions: DPK

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
LLoyd does not hold any sprint records, but the bloke could be a fantastic player. Lets just hope he knuckles down, white knuckles and all, and has a genuine crack at it.
Was going to say that he did a great job of masking his speed on the footy field (Don't know how to add a smiley). Enormous talent when he was a lad so hope he makes the most of this second chance.

bobdog

Frank Nicholson (4)
re lloyd

I watched most of his games at TSS in the first XV the year they won and he does have serious speed over 30 meters along with a handy swerve and blockbusting power. Very hard to stop and always took 2+ to drag him down. Defense is likewise up there and he loves putting on a big hit. Illegal is not his way. He's over his showpony days Im told so look for some powerhouse stuff from him.

D

DJC

Agree bobdog. I saw him in the Rebels game against Worcester and he continually dragged two or three defenders to him everytime he took the ball forward. Created plenty of space on the outside, unfortunately in that game no one actually took advantage of the space.

A

Army_Gav

Agree bobdog. I saw him in the Rebels game against Worcester and he continually dragged two or three defenders to him everytime he took the ball forward. Created plenty of space on the outside, unfortunately in that game no one actually took advantage of the space.

The story of season 2011.

T

tranquility

Umm guys.. The story of 2011 was clearly, refusing to defend at all costs.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
The likes of Beale and O'Connor will lap that sort of opportunity up. Where will he play though, outside centre?

25526ben

proposed backline for the 2012 season (9-15)
phipps, cips, vuna, o'connor (like him at 13 for wallabies though), mortlock, gerrard, beale

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Most people are probably thinking about improved attacking opportunities when Beale and JOC (James O'Connor) run on for the Rebels next year. In truth, their presence will probably see more attack and less kicking of the ball into the other teams real estate. Mind you, if they want to kick long these two, and especially JOC (James O'Connor) can hoof the ball.

But I think they will be able to help out Mortlock with defence behind the pigs more than we think. They are both rugged tacklers and good readers of the play of the other team.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
I wonder how long Mortlock will last next season? Can't see him doing the full course. Quite an impressive backline when you look at it, and pretty bloody big as well!

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Most people are probably thinking about improved attacking opportunities when Beale and JOC (James O'Connor) run on for the Rebels next year. In truth, their presence will probably see more attack and less kicking of the ball into the other teams real estate. Mind you, if they want to kick long these two, and especially JOC (James O'Connor) can hoof the ball.

But I think they will be able to help out Mortlock with defence behind the pigs more than we think. They are both rugged tacklers and good readers of the play of the other team.

Cipriani has an outstanding kicking game as well. He makes Quade look like Jerry Collins on defence, but he's got the ball on a string.

I expect the first choice backline to end up looking like:

9. Phipps
10. Cipriani
11. Vuna
12. JOC (James O'Connor)
13. Inman
14. Kingi
15. Beale

Predicting Mortlock and Gerrard will both break down at some point, if they don't then they'll play in place of Inman and Kingi. Cips and Vuna will have to seriously, seriously, harden up on defence but apart from that it's a pretty decent backline. Good balance between ball runners and ball players, three viable play making options and a very decent scrumhalf.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Melbourne are buying themselves are great team. Be good when the cap comes in, keep the players people come to see in different teams instead of a star struck team..
Better for the game that way,

Hope it has better success than Western Force.
JOC (James O'Connor) and Beale are bums on seat, and that what the Rebels are after...

A

Army_Gav

As one mentioned earlier: be warned that all the foreign players who played in 2011 will not be permitted to play for the Rebels in 2013. Delve, Cipriani etc will have to go home, though perhaps Lipman, a long time resident of Australia, during which he played for Joeys and the Rats, could get dispensation if he is back living permanently in Oz.

Come to think of it: the wording of the regulation indicates that they can't play for an Oz Super team for more than two years (IIRR). That supposes that they could play for a different Oz Super team in 2013.

I'll take Delve at the Tahs thank you.

Not the case, I think this only applies when the Rebels are under the same foreign player conditions as the other franchises. Ged is signed for seasons 2012/2013: http://www.rebel-army.com/archives/1593

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
25526Ben and Dumbledore, I thought Cooper Vuna wasn't playing at the Rebels this year? Left of his own accord for undisclosed reasons a while ago.

A

Army_Gav

25526Ben and Dumbledore, I thought Cooper Vuna wasn't playing at the Rebels this year? Left of his own accord for undisclosed reasons a while ago.
Rumor was that it was relating to his family not settling in. I'd assume that the Rebels obviously assisted and fixed the situation.

I'm not one to indulge in the private affairs of players, as long as there happy, and his happy playing footy here, that's good for me.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Not the case, I think this only applies when the Rebels are under the same foreign player conditions as the other franchises. Ged is signed for seasons 2012/2013: http://www.rebel-army.com/archives/1593

Thanks for that AG - I should have checked the excellent Wiki on Super contracts.

I thought being allowed to have 10 players and then phasing them out were the only differences between the Rebels and the other teams, but they have the other advantage also: that players can play for more than 2 years for them. They were indeed given a leg up and Oz rugby would have been better served if the Force (and, as it turned out, the Reds) had the same benefit when they commenced operations in 2006.

Do you know if there are any phasing out of the foreigners requirements - or could the Rebels theoretically have 10 foreigners in 2014 then be the same as everybody else in 2015 - not that they would do that from a prudential point of view.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
Do you know if there are any phasing out of the foreigners requirements - or could the Rebels theoretically have 10 foreigners in 2014 then be the same as everybody else in 2015 - not that they would do that from a prudential point of view.

2 per year Lee.

2011 - 10, 2012 - 8, 2013 - 6, 2014 - 4, 2015+ - 2

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Thanks JB, I never liked you as a president but you are on the ball in rugby matters.

Now I remember that somebody (Eyes and Ears?) mentioned this before when I asked the question earlier.

I just have to remember your answer when I think of the matter later on.

Status
Not open for further replies.