• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I think half back - he was originally played as a hooker in league wasn't he?
If he was originally a half in league then he was a hooker in union.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
I like his the article suggests he will play in the lions tour cos the wallabies need him and also cos he will earn more money. Dude is 28, yes he was a rugby player, yes he is a good league player, but when will the new teams (rebels and force) start buying for the future.

Informer

Ward Prentice (10)
I like his the article suggests he will play in the lions tour cos the wallabies need him and also cos he will earn more money. Dude is 28, yes he was a rugby player, yes he is a good league player, but when will the new teams (rebels and force) start buying for the future.

The Rebels have a sharp young no 9 in Nick Stirzacker who I believe is one to watch in the future. I hope he gets a run during the season.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Cronk played inside centre when he played union. Anyway you don't go from playing 5/8 in league to halfback in Union- he ll play in the 10 jersey

*He actually plays halfback in league but that is pretty much fly half in union

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
The Rebels have a sharp young no 9 in Nick Stirzacker who I believe is one to watch in the future. I hope he gets a run during the season.
Very impressed with Stirzacker (is that the correct spelling?). The kid has a sharp pass and seems to have vision. The only caveat I would place on my rating of him is that I have only seen him play a handful of times.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Obviously we can't drop Genia from the Wallaby XV, so Cronk can't play 9.

We have a lot of quality 10s, so I think he should play 12 for the Wallabies. To me it's largely irrelevant what Super team (or club) he plays for. Cronk against Jamie Roberts will be a titanic encounter in 2013 when the Lions are here.

I bet Roberts is reading the news about Cronk and rethinking his desire to play for the Lions!!

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
I disagree with these comments on Kurtley and JOC (James O'Connor). First of all, there seems little evidence of a drinking culture in melbourne, rather, as mentioned there seems to be a drinking culture in danny cipriani. The Melbourne drinking culture seems to be fabricated by that numbskull growden. The majority of the press on the rebels off the field last year was positive. Only with Cipriani did it turn into drinking. Melbourne isn't/wasn't the problem, Cipriani was and is. JOC (James O'Connor) and Kurtley will be affected by his bad influence if they let themselves. It will have nothing to do with them being in melbourne and at the rebels. if they are that way inclined, then they could be playing club rugby in wagga and the issue would present itself. They have both had a few off field issues in the past, but I think both are growing beyond it and recognize that it isn't the path for them. I think we'll continue to see danny pushed out of the group in the rebels and the more mature players (in attitude not necessarily age) shun his immature ways. I will not be surprised if we see him completely on the outer edge of the group this year coming up, ultimately ending up with him leaving early. Personally, I would be happy with that. I think he is a negative force within the organisation and on top of that, one nice try and one good kick aside, I don't rate him as a player.

Point being I don't see Kurtley heading down a dangerous slope. He's carrying a niggle....doesn't mean he's a boozehound and a player with Cipriani.

no one would be talking about JOC (James O'Connor) having problems if he hadn't missed that team announcement. he's done nothing else to suggest he's a wild one. a mistake was made and I am quite confident horwill laid into him. if he screws up again, I have no doubt the likes of delve, mortlock, saffy etc will pull his head in. Having stirlo tell you you're a disgrace and immature should be enough for anyone to correct their ways....unless you're cipriani...then your problems run deeper.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Let me put it another way - Considering the 'alledged' incidences in the past involving Kurtley, and for that matter JOC (James O'Connor), is Melbourne the best place for them? Starting to think that perhaps QLDnot the best place for QC (Quade Cooper) too.
Again. The problem isn't brisbane for quade, the problem is quade. he seems to be doing somewhat better lately. I think the world cup and his injury will force an attitude adjustment.
I think his ongoing relationship with Khoder is damaging him. It is a terrible strategy for a player such as himself to go on a year to year contract. you're leveraging a short term position against the belief you will always command such high value over the long term in two sports codes. he now has a serious knee injury....that becomes a question mark on his resume. His form was wretched during the world cup, that becomes a question mark. his value would have to be diminished in the eyes of both codes. add into that the form of alternatives, JOC (James O'Connor), Beale, Harris, Barnes. I think their rise in value takes away in part from cooper's value.

Cooper needs to make a decision on who he wants to be and who he wants to surround himself with. Ditto Sonny Bill. I think the year to year strategy for him is partly working, but probably in large part due to the fact he hardly played during the world cup.
Such a short term view and for professional sportsmen in such a high paced full contact game i think its a terrible tactic. I think Khoder is both a bad influence and a bad agent, interested in maximising his players short term value and directly as a result, his fees.

A

Army_Gav

Wish we had an 8 man leadership group like the Tahs to rein in Cips, JOC (James O'Connor) & Beale...

Way too much liberal tweeting since moving to Melbourne.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Obviously we can't drop Genia from the Wallaby XV, so Cronk can't play 9.

We have a lot of quality 10s, so I think he should play 12 for the Wallabies. To me it's largely irrelevant what Super team (or club) he plays for. Cronk against Jamie Roberts will be a titanic encounter in 2013 when the Lions are here.

I bet Roberts is reading the news about Cronk and rethinking his desire to play for the Lions!!

Roberts is 110kg - bigger than Nonu at 106kg
Cronk is 89
Barnes is 87

we need a big IC like tom carter @103

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Wish we had an 8 man leadership group like the Tahs to rein in Cips, JOC (James O'Connor) & Beale...

Way too much liberal tweeting since moving to Melbourne.

U probably do. There has been a group at pretty much every sporting team like it for years that rule on player behavior etc. The Tahs have gone over the top with it, but it's nothing new.

There will be more problems in Melbourne with player behavior due to the fact it's such a boring place. Only so many times Kurts can ride the tram before he decides to act up.

A

Army_Gav

Thumbs up
let's stop this before it starts up. this place isn't a forum for which city is better so let's not get into melbourne v sydney.
Hence why I don't bother with this forum at times. If I wanted to listen to NSW bullshit (in a Rebels thread), I'd read Growden's articles.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Again. The problem isn't brisbane for quade, the problem is quade. he seems to be doing somewhat better lately. I think the world cup and his injury will force an attitude adjustment.
I think his ongoing relationship with Khoder is damaging him. It is a terrible strategy for a player such as himself to go on a year to year contract. you're leveraging a short term position against the belief you will always command such high value over the long term in two sports codes. he now has a serious knee injury....that becomes a question mark on his resume. His form was wretched during the world cup, that becomes a question mark. his value would have to be diminished in the eyes of both codes. add into that the form of alternatives, JOC (James O'Connor), Beale, Harris, Barnes. I think their rise in value takes away in part from cooper's value.

Cooper needs to make a decision on who he wants to be and who he wants to surround himself with. Ditto Sonny Bill. I think the year to year strategy for him is partly working, but probably in large part due to the fact he hardly played during the world cup.
Such a short term view and for professional sportsmen in such a high paced full contact game i think its a terrible tactic. I think Khoder is both a bad influence and a bad agent, interested in maximising his players short term value and directly as a result, his fees.

Just to put it to bed. Agree totally with you about Cooper. And you have answered my question re Kurtley & JOC (James O'Connor).

Here's hopeing the Rebels have a good year this year.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Thumbs up

Hence why I don't bother with this forum at times. If I wanted to listen to NSW bullshit (in a Rebels thread), I'd read Growden's articles.

I object to this in the strongest possible terms: he doesn't just write NSW Bullshit - everything he writes is crap

Status
Not open for further replies.