• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Moono75

A car accident could happen to anyone, unless knowing if they had been drinking etc I don't think we can add this to his list of off field indiscretions.
Very true, but I can't say I've ever failed to take a bend, run over a shrub (and the shrub is the real victim here) and then hit a parked car. Maybe they were all busy updating their twitter feeds at the time or seeking JOC (James O'Connor)'s advice on what colour boots to wear in the next game. All 100% speculation of course.

wilful

Larry Dwyer (12)
A car accident could happen to anyone, unless knowing if they had been drinking etc I don't think we can add this to his list of off field indiscretions.
Funny, most everybody I know can manage to get around corners and not crash into cars. Dunno WTF was going on, but it's got to be stupid.

wilful

Larry Dwyer (12)
Something very strange happened in Melbourne today. The back page of the sports section, in early March, did not have a footy story. Instead it had a half page pic of JO'C and a soccer story, backed up with a full page interview with Rabbit.

Trying to keep the big media buyer happy? Anyway, great.

SuperGrover

Darby Loudon (17)
So Byrnes is banned for 10 weeks for eye-gouging. Wish I could say it's a surprise.

Now that he is gone who comes into the second-row? As far as I can tell it has to be one of Luke Jones, Al Campbell, James King or Cadeyrn Neville.

I'm not even sure whether Cadeyrn Neville is eligible as he is part of the EPS and Byrnes is suspended not injured, but if it's possible, I would like to see him get a chance. He could pull a Pyle and excel in his first year of Super Rugby.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
So Byrnes is banned for 10 weeks for eye-gouging. Wish I could say it's a surprise.

Now that he is gone who comes into the second-row? As far as I can tell it has to be one of Luke Jones, Al Campbell, James King or Cadeyrn Neville.
I liked the look of Jones at 6 so I wouldn't be moving him. Bring in Al Campbell, he is reliable without being outstanding, so its a straight swap with Byrnes, minus the foul play.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
I am also platinum. I've moved my seats from last years location (section 7) due to the worst fan in the universe also being in section 7. unfortunately when i rang up this year, it was confirmed that this young wretch had already renewed.....to say I was distraught is an understatement. though i'm now platinum and front frow in the top deck - superb viewing and should this young fan keep up his loud mouthed obnoxious ways, i am in a prime position to throw an egg at him.

I believe I encountered your friend at the game on Friday. He lived up to your description eminently, being loud, obnoxious and not really knowing the first thing about the game.

My interpretation of him was either a) a non-player/AFL convert or b) one of those annoying backs who always used to shout at the forwards "give it to me, give it to me! Why aren't you getting it fast enough?" (my apologies to the [admittedly few :D] quality backs out there).

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
interesting....age? the target of my distaste was a youngish fellow who was there with his dad. knows what the rebels should be doing every time and yells it at them as well as whats wrong with what they actually did.

i took him to be a private school boy who plays rugby at a poorly rated rugby private school. not knocking private schools as i attended one, but i get the impression he might have been a "star pupil" at a school that lacks a real rugby program.

hopefully this is the same fellow, otherwise you might have two coming at you for the cheetahs game.

loved the seats and the view up in section 76. excellent ability to see the plays unfold. dane swan of collingwood sat behind me....he is pretty ferrel.

D

daz

I believe I encountered your friend at the game on Friday. He lived up to your description eminently, being loud, obnoxious and not really knowing the first thing about the game.

My interpretation of him was either a) a non-player/AFL convert or b) one of those annoying backs who always used to shout at the forwards "give it to me, give it to me! Why aren't you getting it fast enough?" (my apologies to the [admittedly few :D] quality backs out there).

Now, at the risk of starting a flame war all over again, for the last 3 years I was in Perth and I did raise the point that there seemed to be an AFL influence in the way the majority of the crowd over there vocalised their support; i.e. the default position was that the ref was a mug, and the opposition had been "doing it all day".

You know, sometimes it is possible for a player from your team to actually infringe and be responsible for giving away a penalty.

I find the Melbourne crowds to be as passionate, and a bit more knowledgeable (sorry TBH!) but there is still the odd muppet or two who just can't seem to get both eyes open at once.

There was a guy 3 seats across from me who fits that mold. Yap, yap, yap. I wouldn't mind if he actually had a clue about the game but mindless vocal support without knowledge is worse than no support. You could see a dozen people wincing everytime this bloke opened his mouth.

Anyway, the upshot is that a rugby-to-his-bootstraps-tweed-jacketed gentleman turned to this muppet at about the 60 minute mark and asked him to please return to the MCG for the AFL season. Cue a wave of applause from my section that probably confused the hell out of the rest of the stand given what was happening on the ground.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
Interesting. Mine was older SAH, probably mid-30s. I didn't notice any such individuals as the young boy you described.

Mine was more of the type Daz describes; I heard "all day" a few times from him. Although his default position seemed to be to criticise the Rebels play, about how they weren't getting the ball out fast enough; which is what prompted my noisy back analogy. Oh, also he loved to yap about Tom Carter too, so I wasn't sure if he comes on here or not. If so, to the gentleman in question, straighten up.

Don't get me wrong, I am not cucumber sandwiches and tweed jackets old school ruby myself. I am a loud and passionate supporter, which sometimes gets the best of me, but it is normally more likely to be expressed by a "C'mon (occassionally a C'arn) playername". Although I have been known to appeal for a penalty, if I think its there. But its the negativity and as Daz refers to, the one eyed AFL supporter mindset which gets to me occasionally (except when I am supporting the Hawks, then its game on).

Reactions: daz

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Drop Chamberlain for Saffy?
Please, please let it be so.

A Jones - Saffy - Delve backrow looks perfectly acceptable, although perhaps light a real ball-running player. Has anyone got the stats for Chamberlain? Can't think of the last time I saw a player look more anonymous.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I would rate Saffy a devasting ball runner, we just saw very little of him with the ball, which isn't saying much given how little the Rebs had the ball last year. Ftom my anecdotal review of some games last year I am sure that with the right structures and people around him he could be as devastating a backrower as Pocock.

Now isn't that a salivating concept in a Gold jersey.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Hopefully this week. He rode the pine last week and didn't get on. I figure he'll do the same in the first half, and supersub in the second half.

I read he had a sore quad from the warm up hence, him not playing. great news he might be back though.

Do you have any idea about Lipman?

probable squad (what i'd like to see)
1 Henderson
2 Freier
3 Weeks
4 Pyle
5 Campbell
6 Jones
7 Saffy
8 Delve
9 Phipps
10 Cips (JOC (James O'Connor))
11Vuna
12 JOC (James O'Connor) (Inman - He could be a great Jamie Roberts style 12)
13 Inman (Gerrard)
14 Gerrard (Mitchell)
15 Beale

16 Ged/Holmes
17 Blake
18 Chamberlain
19 Timmy Davo
20 Kinghi (on at 55 minutes)
21 Lloyd Johansson (on for gerrard at 65 to smash the defense up)
22 Mitchell (Cipriani)

I think Vuna has superb prospects as a wing and eventually as a 13. he is coming good.

Mitchell is so consistent. His great work should be valued. I really rate him.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I think Vuna has superb prospects as a wing and eventually as a 13. he is coming good.

Mitchell is so consistent. His great work should be valued. I really rate him.

Vuna may become a good winger who can attack in the centre channels, however I still think he struggles with his defence when confronted with multiple targets he has to cover. That alone would preclude him from 13.

As for Mitchell I struggle to see the love for him. He is reasonable but rarely beats his opposition and may be a better defender than Vuna but that isn't a massive achievement as he is still beaten far too regularly for Super level. Review last years stats if you doubt.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Vuna may become a good winger who can attack in the centre channels, however I still think he struggles with his defence when confronted with multiple targets he has to cover. That alone would preclude him from 13.

As for Mitchell I struggle to see the love for him. He is reasonable but rarely beats his opposition and may be a better defender than Vuna but that isn't a massive achievement as he is still beaten far too regularly for Super level. Review last years stats if you doubt.

Re Vuna - has superber prospects. I agree, he's not there yet. still too much of a league defender.

Mitchell - his work rate is great and i actually find he usually makes a line break or pulls in a couple of defenders. he doesn't leave his defenders for dead and cruise off into open play, but he makes a good gain and is strong on his feet. as for his defense last year, possibly symptomatic of being on the wing for the rebels or at full back....often both wings of fullback were left in two on ones or unnecessarily difficult situations. in a one on one, i generally find his defense is strong. good under the high ball too.
he's not a starter, but he is solid, has a great work rate and is consistent unlike some of our other support backs.

T

tranquility

I rate Mitchell as well, he is not the fastest or biggest bloke but he is very well rounded and very consistent. I think he could develop into a Peter Hynes type player, not the most stylish but effective and gutsy with a very low error rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.