• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Phipps and Kingi resign? Hopefully they split the playing time evenly between them for the rest of the year, Kingi has been great when he has been on and Phipps has been pretty ordinary IMO.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
Nick Phipps, Nic Stirzaker, Richard Kingi, Lachie Mitchell, Hugh Pyle, Laurie Weeks and Cadeyrn Neville have all agreed to new deals.

That is awesome news. That is a lot of the promising young talent in the team, except for Luke Jones; who you'd have to expect to be a good chance to re-sign given the opportunities and development he's received in Melbourne.

Also, Neville being signed would indicate that the club has long term aspirations for him in the lock department. Freeing Jones to move to the backrow, perhaps 8.

Phipps and Kingi resign? Hopefully they split the playing time evenly between them for the rest of the year, Kingi has been great when he has been on and Phipps has been pretty ordinary IMO.

What is further interesting is that Stirzaker has also re-signed, meaning that we have 3 scrumhalves contracted.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
I thought phipps and pyle resigned last year? were those just one year deals?

great news on kingi and mitchell. scotland should still pick him.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
great news on kingi and mitchell. scotland should still pick him.

Mitchell wouldn't be much better than Scotland's current wingers, I think it's more a case of Scotland struggling to keep good players in Scotland (they all play in Wales, England, or France).

In the case of McKibbon and Mitchell I'd guess it's more Scotland waving a carrot infront of them and hoping they increase the quality of their local sides (who are doing pretty well right now but like I said, struggle with retention).

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
current wingers are hogg and i'd suggest visser now that he qualifies. lachie would be a good shot for the bench.
regardless, i am happy he has signed and very happy kingi has as well. i guess that says to me that the rebels feel strizaker (sp?) isn't quite ready to make the step up.
surprised by phipps, but you need three halfbacks don't you.
now we need to sign someone to take over for mortlock, huxley, and delve. hopefully johannson continues to improve but we'll need someone else for those centre spots.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
now we need to sign someone to take over for mortlock, huxley, and delve. hopefully johannson continues to improve but we'll need someone else for those centre spots.
This x 1000.

Could we see Beale at 10 and JOC (James O'Connor) at 12 or would Robbie-hood and his merry men at the ARU crack it.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
Could we see Beale at 10 and JOC (James O'Connor) at 12 or would Robbie-hood and his merry men at the ARU crack it.

If it works, I don't see it being a problem.

And, as I have espoused on many times before, when KB (Kurtley Beale) is at 10 the Rebels look better than with any of the alternatives.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
Just need a replacement fullback then.

Gerrard, Hux, Cips, Kingi?

All of the above can play FB capably. My pick for the remainder of the season would probably be Cipriani tbh. He has the speed and the footwork to be a dynamic counter attacker. He can still be used as an alternative 5/8th when we have the ball. He has a seriously good long kicking game, nearly comparable to Gerrardo's but can turn it on, which will leave teams guessing as to what he will do if they get into a kicking duel with him. Possibly most importantly, it means his defensive frailties are less directly exposed to the big bruisers and he more often will deal with the speedsters, which he has shown an ability to tackle effectively this year. The more I think about it, the more I feel like he's better suited to the position than he is flyhalf.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Gerrard, Hux, Cips, Kingi?
Gerrard: Entertaining a move back to Japan (no idea why?)
Huxley: Will he still be there? Has only had this opportunity due to injury
Cips: Self explained
Kingi: I'm sure he wants to cement himself as a halfback. If he still harbors ambitions to play for the Wobbles, he needs to develop one.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
that's the rumor. but it was also said that kinghi signed in france.
not sure why he'd want to go back after only just returning. I could see that in a year or two, but seems a bit sudden to return. especially since he's playing so well.
rebels should lock a guy like him in for at least another year. have a level head amongst the children.
ditto the wallabies - would be good to have someone other than the kids in the wallaby backline.

sudrugby

Watty Friend (18)
that's the rumor. but it was also said that kinghi signed in france.
not sure why he'd want to go back after only just returning. I could see that in a year or two, but seems a bit sudden to return. especially since he's playing so well.
rebels should lock a guy like him in for at least another year. have a level head amongst the children.
ditto the wallabies - would be good to have someone other than the kids in the wallaby backline.

He was supposed to sign with Racing Metro 92 but during the official announcement no words about Richard Kingi.
Next year Racing will have three scrum halves so no need of him I believe.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Gerrard has been back for 2 seasons, and it's not like he's going to be playing test rugby again...

At his age, it would make perfect sense to go for the money...

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Regardless of getting a gold jersey, Gerrard moved here on the basis of having a young family and basically coming home.

As you point out why come back for 2 seasons, then go back again?

I'd assume Kingi's decision was similar, considering he has 5 children.

Bernie_Larkham

Herbert Moran (7)
Geez lots of love for Mitchell on here. He may well work hard and have heart but stiff shit. The guy isnt up to it. Can barely beat a tackle and consistently defends 15-20m in from touch and then has his opposite winger score in the corner with him making a despereate attempt to tackle. Off to Scotland for me.

KB (Kurtley Beale) needs to stay at 15. Huxley is puss, move him on. The Rebels should have thrown every thing at Lilo and I mean everything. He is a Melbourne boy about to come into his best years. He and some decent props, an 8 and we are away.

KB (Kurtley Beale) looks great at 10 late in a match where the match is over or tired defenders but he is better suited to 15 in open space. He, like JOC (James O'Connor) are more individuals, nothing wrong with that but they cant play as a 10 if thats the case. Just has to stop the farking chip kicks and hang onto the pill.

Status
Not open for further replies.