• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
He will always struggle as a Super Rugby player in my opinion due to the fact that he's a bit too tall and bulky to be quick enough over the ball to be a 7, but not quite tall enough to be a 6. The sort of player who would probably do well in SA as an openside/6.

And hence why I asked how he was going this year.
2011 Colts, 2012 started in 2nd Grade and finished with an EPS, 2013 was his first real year - look at where he started 2013, compared to where he finished.

I just don't know yet, at different stages of their career but if I had to pick a loose forward out of Dave Dennis, and Jordy - I'd pick Jordy.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
From the members' email, Rebels leadership group for 2014, to be officially announced tomorrow...

Captain Scott Higginbotham will be joined by Foundation Rebels Hugh Pyle and Laurie Weeks, as well as last year's Rookie of the Year Tom English and inspirational flanker Scott Fuglistaller.

T

tranquility

And hence why I asked how he was going this year.
2011 Colts, 2012 started in 2nd Grade and finished with an EPS, 2013 was his first real year - look at where he started 2013, compared to where he finished.

I just don't know yet, at different stages of their career but if I had to pick a loose forward out of Dave Dennis, and Jordy - I'd pick Jordy.

His discipline is a bit of an issue too yeah? Whenever I watch the Rebels, I feel like he makes alot of errors or is giving a penalty away. Not unusual in young backrowers however.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Now, Personally, I like:

1. Smith
2. Horie
3. Weekes
4. Neville
5. Pyle
6. Jones
7. Fainga'a
8. Higgenbotham (c)
9. Burgess
10. Hegarty
11. Kingston
12. Ellison
13. Inman
14. English
15. Woodward

16. Leafa
17. Lahiff
18. PAE
19. Timani
20. Fugs
21. Meehan
22. Debrecenzi
23. Veanu

But, I think we may get the following:

1. Smith
2. Leafa
3. Weekes
4. Jones
5. Pyle
6. Timani/Fainga'a
7. Fuglistaller
8. Higgenbotham (c)
9. Burgess
10. Hegarty
11. Mitchell
12. Ellison
13. Inman
14. English
15. Woodward

16. Horie
17. Lahiff
18. PAE
19. Neville
20. Colby/Timani
21. Meehan
22. Roberts
23. Kingston/Veainu (spelling)

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
From the practice games I don't see Mitchell starting before Kingston, I would predict Mitchell will be on the bench as he offers more cover than Veainu.

Mitchell was pretty impressive when he came on in Geelong, looked like his done a lot of work on his speed.

Don't expect to see Debrcenzi in the first half of the season.

I think Horie will start.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Bowside, but the biggest complaint most of us had of McCabe is that he just wasn't big enough to effectively play that style.

Bit of a moot point if To'omua can kick on though.

McCabe had a myriad of other things holding him back such as:
- not being light enough on his feet
- Couldn't throw a long pass both ways at speed.
- No kicking game.
- Ran too upright in contact.

Should never have played as many tests at 12 as he did.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
What was the rebels front row in the reds game, Lahiff-leafa-smith?

What ever it was it should be the starting front row.

Smith-Leafa-Weeks started in the first half. Horie has not been available for the practice games as he was still playing in Japan.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Now, Personally, I like:

1. Smith
2. Horie
3. Weekes
4. Neville
Snip...

I like the look of this side too except, I'm in the Fug camp for the time being. I think he should get the starting spot till Colby forces him to the bench.

The only other change I would make is I'd have Mitchell on the pine instead of Debrecenzi. Mitchell gives us cover for wing and 12, Ellison and Woodward can both play 10.

I reckon you're pretty close to the money with your second team.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
His discipline is a bit of an issue too yeah? Whenever I watch the Rebels, I feel like he makes alot of errors or is giving a penalty away. Not unusual in young backrowers however.

Jordy's enthusiasm for the contest has been seen as a bit of a problem by the refs that's for sure.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I like the look of this side too except, I'm in the Fug camp for the time being. I think he should get the starting spot till Colby forces him to the bench.

The only other change I would make is I'd have Mitchell on the pine instead of Debrecenzi. Mitchell gives us cover for wing and 12, Ellison and Woodward can both play 10.

I reckon you're pretty close to the money with your second team.

See, I like having a 10 option on the bench. The reason I like it is because we could have this backline late in the game:

9. Stirzaker/Meehan
10. Debs
11. Veanu
12. Ellison
13. English
14. Woodward
15. Hegarty

Which is the sort of backline I like, even though there's not a snowball's chance in hell of us starting with it.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
See, I like having a 10 option on the bench. The reason I like it is because we could have this backline late in the game:

9. Stirzaker/Meehan
10. Debs
11. Veanu
12. Ellison
13. English
14. Woodward
15. Hegarty

Which is the sort of backline I like, even though there's not a snowball's chance in hell of us starting with it.

Debreczeni is going to be 3rd in line number 10 for a while, and even if injury's occurred he would be waiting behind Woodward and Ellison before getting a chance.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)

It's a timing issue. When he gets it right he is so dominant, he just made some silly errors last year when he was given the chance. Have a look at that game he started for us though, he was very good IMO. Lots to work on but in the long run I think he will turn out to be a pretty solid 7.

D

daz

Since Mitch Inman played most of the trials at 12, there is a better than fair chance we will see him there come game time, so not sure why many of you have him pegged at 13 for the first game.

Being able to play both positions gives us even more depth.

As for Fugi, let's not forget he really ramped it up in the back-end of last season. Consistently one of our best and rightfully recognised by the club. As far as I am concerned, in 2014 that spot is his until others take it from him, which is how it should be.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Since Mitch Inman played most of the trials at 12, there is a better than fair chance we will see him there come game time, so not sure why many of you have him pegged at 13 for the first game.

Being able to play both positions gives us even more depth.

As for Fugi, let's not forget he really ramped it up in the back-end of last season. Consistently one of our best and rightfully recognised by the club. As far as I am concerned, in 2014 that spot is his until others take it from him, which is how it should be.

When him and Ellison and him were both available he played 13. I hope they're both available in the first game (and they're both currently fit) so it's the logical presumption.

If Ellison was out however, I think Inman would go to 12 with English at 13, yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.