• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rock Lobster

Larry Dwyer (12)
At least a couple of surprises in the starting team this week with young McMahon getting a start at 6 & Woodward on the bench

Tah and feathered

Watty Friend (18)
Not surprised by that at all. Already played a full season and I would think his body needs a rest. Will be missed, but I think it's a wonderful chance for Pat to step up into the starting role and make a good fist of it. He's been doing well in the trials.

Anyone catch the cheetahs vs bulls match last night? Very surprised with the scoreline (cheetahs up 15 - 9). I like the idea the cheetahs didn't cross the chalk. The travel isn't going to help them too much when they face us next Friday.
Not surprised by that at all. Already played a full season and I would think his body needs a rest. Will be missed, but I think it's a wonderful chance for Pat to step up into the starting role and make a good fist of it. He's been doing well in the trials.

Anyone catch the cheetahs vs bulls match last night? Very surprised with the scoreline (cheetahs up 15 - 9). I like the idea the cheetahs didn't cross the chalk. The travel isn't going to help them too much when they face us next Friday.
I have heard Steve Foloua is starting as hooker.

199madmave

Ward Prentice (10)
Rebels squad hot off the press.1

1. Toby Smith **
2. Pat Leafa
3. Laurie Weeks
4. Hugh Pyle
5. Luke Jones
6. Sean McMahon *
7. Scott Fuglistaller
8. Scott Higginbotham (C)
9. Luke Burgess
10. Bryce Hegarty
11. Tom English
12. Mitch Inman
13. Tamati Ellison **
14. Lachlan Mitchell
15. Jason Woodward
16. Steve Fualau *
17. Max Lahiff *
18. Paul Alo-Emile
19. Cadeyrn Neville
20. Colby Fainga'a **
21. Ben Meehan *
22. Angus Roberts
23. Tom Kingston **

* denotes Super Rugby debut
** denotes Melbourne Rebels debut (prior Super Rugby experience)

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
this team is pretty much what i expected. thought kingston might have started over mitchell, and timani might have been on the bench instead of faainga.
mcmahon was a starter at 6 in all the trial games and played well, so probably not much of a surprise.

T

tranquility

Geez McMahon must have shown something. He was a very highly touted player out of the junior ranks, but to be starting over a few names backrowers is pretty surprising. Looking forward to watching him go round.

Also, Kingston > Mitchell.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Geez McMahon must have shown something. He was a very highly touted player out of the junior ranks, but to be starting over a few names backrowers is pretty surprising. Looking forward to watching him go round.

Also, Kingston > Mitchell.

McMahon is a bolter, but I don't think we can really comment until we see how he goes. My guess is that Fainga'a, Timani and Reid are rueing their moves south, the coach doesn't seem to rate them too highly.

Kingston must be mightily pissed off, he's got more skill in his little finger than Mitchell has in his whole body. Mitchell is an honest journeyman, nothing more.

And Inman/Ellison at 12/13 is so arse about that it is positively Deans-esque.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
What can you do? Honestly.

Fugs is the established 7. Its Colbys job to overtake him.

Jones was the established blindside for mine. With Neville down on Match fitness, McMahon is the form 6, when Jones is at Lock.

Now, I do agree that Kingston should be playing ahead of Mitchell, but hey, that backline (with Tamati instead of Sidey) played some excellent Rugby last year. Why not give them another opportunity.

I don't necessarily believe this, but this is how I understand it.

Sent from my LG-P713 using Tapatalk

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
My guess is that Fainga'a, Timani and Reid are rueing their moves south, the coach doesn't seem to rate them too highly.

Not one of them was a regular starter at any other club, it's only round 1 (3) and they will all have a chance at some stage during the season.

Kingston should feel hard done by, he was impressive during pre-season. Although when Mitchell came on in Geelong he was very good. Would have had him on the bench as cover.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
he's just worried about his job obviously. He doesn't come from a position of massive bargaining power.

Ado Tornado

Allen Oxlade (6)
Can't see why you'd take 3 x 7's into the game and leave a wrecking ball like Timani out of the squad altogether. I also worry about the outside pace too. Cheetahs wingers make a break I doubt whether English or Mitchell will have the pace to catch them. Kingston on the other hand...

Status
Not open for further replies.