• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
so what can we take from yesterdays trial ?
i wasn't there but listened (a bit) when the rebel radio was working and i've read the press reports and the tahs website.

apparently pat leafa had a storming game, and is a likely starter given horie hasnt been training
timani likewise
how did faainga go ?
it would seem that inman and english will start in the centres, kingston and woodward are certainties also
burgess or the ranga ?

anyone who was actually there like to comment

T

tranquility

so what can we take from yesterdays trial ?
i wasn't there but listened (a bit) when the rebel radio was working and i've read the press reports and the tahs website.

apparently pat leafa had a storming game, and is a likely starter given horie hasnt been training
timani likewise
how did faainga go ?
it would seem that inman and english will start in the centres, kingston and woodward are certainties also
burgess or the ranga ?

anyone who was actually there like to comment

Surely Timati Ellison will play 13 ? He is proably the best 13 in Australia.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Surely Timati Ellison will play 13 ? He is proably the best 13 in Australia.

Don't think he is going to be a walk on starter with out having done a bit of training to learn the tactics.

I actually like English in the centers, thought he was good there against the Highlanders last season.

Anyone read the Higgers kicked the ball from the back of a scrum that resulted in a try? New tactic for number 8's this season.

Sounded like Kingston had a great game, played 70 minutes.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Correct RugbyReg, scrum penalty and quick tap and grubber into space.

Actually happens on 1:30 on this video, a bi lucky.

Roberts missed tackle for one of these try's is a bit disappointing to see.

Can't wait for Geelong next Saturday, feel like for ever since I watched the Rebels play.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
English and Inman look good and Ellison must start.

Ellison to 10 or 15? He's played both at Super Rugby level and I'm reasonably sure he's even been capped at 15 for the ABs.

Woodward can play wing or 10 as well, and has been training at 10 on occasion. So the shuffle works.

T

tranquility

I'd have to think the backline would be
Hegarty, Kingston, Ellison, Inman, English, Woodward

Ellison at 13 I would have thought, which would perhaps be why Inman has been training extensively at 12. English is surely the backup 13, and as RoffsChoice suggests probably a starting winger.

Woodward is an excellent 15, you wouldn't be moving him to 10 unless you really had to.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Ellison should be in the All Blacks calculations, as the backup to Nonu and Smith, he's that good.

If I had my way it would be:
12. Ellison 13. Inman

But Totality Tony will probably switch them around.
12. Inman 13. Ellison

T

tranquility

Ellison should be in the All Blacks calculations, as the backup to Nonu and Smith, he's that good.

If I had my way it would be:
12. Ellison 13. Inman

But Totality Tony will probably switch them around.
12. Inman 13. Ellison

I agree. I couldn't rate him any higher, a real fillip for the Rebels program.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
agree with all of the above, but can you slot ellison straight in if he hasn't trained at all. when is he due to arrive ?
would think best backline (for the present) would be
9 burgess
10 hegarty
12 ellison
13 inman
11 english
14 kingston
15 woodward

and if not ellison then inman @12 and english 13, with veainu on the wing.
i think the ranga needs more work yet

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
He played 12 four times last year and 13 twelve times. I understand why you'd want him at 12 but surely it's like all team calculations: What do I get from this combination v what do I get from that combination.

9,10,wings and fullback left alone, what do you get from Ellison and Inman? You have the centre who was keeping Nonu out of 12 for a few games last year and started all 16 games for his team and you have the 5th choice 13 in Australia who is consistent and plays in a creator role more than a finisher.

So Ellison at 12, Inman at 13 is having two creators in the centres, not pushing either out of position. Both can do everything their position requires well. Inman at 12, Ellison at 13 still has two creators in the centres, but is pushing Inman out of position to accommodate Ellison at 13. Inman may not be able to perform every job required of 12 as well as you need.

Really I just think Ellison at 12, Inman at 13 puts a lot less strain on the team while also letting your talented new signing touch the ball more often.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Bummer :( Hope it's sooner rather than later. Good opportunity for Ben Meehan to step up.

Do you have any updates on the other members of team rehab? Caydern? Chris?
according to the rebels website on tuesday
neville 3 weeks, thomson indefinite !

Status
Not open for further replies.