• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
The back row I would like to see (although I doubt I ever will) would be 6/ Jones, 7/ McMahon, 8/ Thomson with Colby on the bench (finisher :)) and either Jeffries or Retallick partnering LT at lock. We would lack a pilfering option till Colby comes on but, we would have three line out options plus McMahon. Fixing the line out has to be a huge priority, last year we were statistically the worst in the comp.

As far as the captaincy goes, I would opt for Jones. Colby, as good as he is, is no certainty to start every week. Little Red is still a bit too combustible and I think McMahon should have another couple of seasons before he gets the gig.

In the first couple of years we had Delve as team captain and Tim Davidson as club captain. I wonder if a similar, Tim Davidson style role could be created for Fug?

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
I hope he does too. It was sad to see him go, but clearly TT had other plans to bolster the back line (mainly in the midfield).

He might be in a queue behind Bernard Foley and Dave Horowitz. I can foresee that BF will be rested for certain matches, which would present a great opportunity for him.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Probably depends what the 12-13-15 setup is.

If it's Beale - Carraro/Horne - Folau, Horwitz is probably the front runner since he plays a lot of Inside center at club and NRC level.

If it's Horne/Carraro - Folau - Beale, Hegs pace and experience at full back probably gives him the nod.

This is all assuming that the Tahs want to play a like for like off the bench and not mess with the structures.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Why do we let the good ones go? I will never forget his winning try v the Highlanders in that come from behind win. So much promise, I thought. There must be things the coaches see that we don't...

jmcallen

Frank Row (1)
Captain for me should be Colby. Off contract at the end of the season, but a truly undervalued player in aus Rugby - would give him a great reason to stay in Aus. A great fetcher, learnt as he led in the NRC and also provides some clarity/consistency around who is going to start in the back row.

I personally like a Sean/Jordy/Colby trio, with both Fugs & Thomson on the bench. LT at lock.

As for sponsors, from afar it appears as if its look increasingly likely to be the TGI Rebels!

Captain for me too should be Colby - did anyone see the overall super rugby stats from last season - Colby was 3rd best pilferer in whole comp - second only to Gilly and Pocock, and Colby didn't even start every game. IMagine if he did. With the amount of ball the rebels lose they need someone like Colby on the field the entire game to steal ball at crucial periods.

Thomson is only around for some quick money, not the long haul - not rebels captain material and getting on a bit. If they want to invest in their young players they should be starting Colby, Jordy- bench and fugs back up- not in match day squad(also getting on a bit).

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
The other option is to give Mike H the Captaincy for the final year of his contract, after which I'd assume he'll head overseas unless he ends up back in the Wallabies frame.

Mike is experienced, cool headed, respected by the group and will start if fit.

I just don't think it hurts to make Stirzy wait a little longer and focus on his game, particularly if he is due Wallaby honours for the first time this year as appears likely

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
The Captaincy will be announced at the season launch in a few weeks. Guess We'll ahve to wait until then to find out...

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Best candidates in experience and consistency for a team captain on the field....just happen to be All Black imports. Maybe need to look for a overarching Club captain, who may not make the 1st XV, similar as what they do in clubs and schools.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
The other option is to give Mike H the Captaincy for the final year of his contract, after which I'd assume he'll head overseas unless he ends up back in the Wallabies frame.

I just don't think it hurts to make Stirzy wait a little longer and focus on his game, particularly if he is due Wallaby honours for the first time this year as appears likely

Pretty good choice, I hope he does not go chasing money and stays at the Rebels. Surely the new owners see his value to the squad and do what ever it takes to keep him.

After all we should have plenty of space in the salary cap with Higgers gone and no regular Wallabie starters in the squad.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)

He's also a fullback. And the second or third best one at the club IMO. I suspect Totality Tony will pick him nevertheless and he'll be a vice captain or some other type of senior leader just shy of the captaincy. He can take over if people start getting injured/dragged.

The club have clearly been grooming Stirzaker and Colby to take over. I'll be shocked if it's not one of the two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
The club have clearly been grooming Stirzaker and Colby to take over. I'll be shocked if it's not one of the two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What the club has done grooming wise might not matter to the new owners. Until the season launch and first practice game we really don't know the direction for 2016.

Anyone going to the Launch? Looked at it but thought $150 per head is a bit steep for the Peninsula.

Status
Not open for further replies.