• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Billy Gray has some potential, swam in the deep end last season when thrown into the 1st for Powerhouse. Been playing full back in the under 20s though. Think he won a award for DS actually.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
i love Inman (not as mach as Daz) but think he has reached a peak. Clearly TT is besotted by big units, winning the collisions. But you don't have to be big to be a good tackler or smart in defence (witness Ellison and Giteau at the RWC), and if you have sufficient skills the player can avoid the collision. I suspect Hodge will be the next 12, but who plays outside him will be a guess.

Yeah, I think the Kiwi do 2 things better than us with player selections mainly because they are not obsessed with size (which I think is because they are confident about their performance) and they are willing to take a risk and back the younger guys to show what they have to offer so they can take the guess work out of the equation.

pjm

Billy Sheehan (19)
That's a fun pairing. Tuipolutu's going to have to get either bigger or stronger to play 12 though, was getting bossed at the breakdown. And in fairness to Inman, who's been copping it a bit, he's basically an extra flanker there - regularly gets through just as much work as McMahon and Reid.

Obviously more needs to be done to support Debreczeni, and to get the attack going, but what's the cost going to be?

Rebels have one of the best back rows in the comp. They don't need an extra flanker taking up space at 12 who can't do his core duties

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Rebels have one of the best back rows in the comp. They don't need an extra flanker taking up space at 12 who can't do his core duties

Yes and no. It's a backrow that does some things really well, but others not so much.

McMahon and Reid are a great pair of thumpers, but neither of them are much chop at the breakdown - Colby has been missed more badly than I would have thought. To balance this out Inman and Ellison, Inman in particular, are being asked to put in a shitload of ruck work. I wonder if this has contributed somewhat to the lowered effectiveness of Inman's carrying this year? If Inman gets replaced at 12, Colby is going to have to start. But then you lose the physicality Reid brings.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
i love Inman (not as mach as Daz) but think he has reached a peak. Clearly TT is besotted by big units, winning the collisions. But you don't have to be big to be a good tackler or smart in defence (witness Ellison and Giteau at the RWC), and if you have sufficient skills the player can avoid the collision. I suspect Hodge will be the next 12, but who plays outside him will be a guess.
No one does as much as Daz.

pjm

Billy Sheehan (19)
Yes and no. It's a backrow that does some things really well, but others not so much.

McMahon and Reid are a great pair of thumpers, but neither of them are much chop at the breakdown - Colby has been missed more badly than I would have thought. To balance this out Inman and Ellison, Inman in particular, are being asked to put in a shitload of ruck work. I wonder if this has contributed somewhat to the lowered effectiveness of Inman's carrying this year? If Inman gets replaced at 12, Colby is going to have to start. But then you lose the physicality Reid brings.

Thompson would be the one to replace for Colby.

pjm

Billy Sheehan (19)
He's never actually started a game with three opensides has he? You'd be completely sacrificing the lineout, which is struggling enough as it is.

If he wants to keep the same amount of lineout spots he'd be better off replacing Timani who has been completely ineffectual in every facet of play.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Despite all the handwringing, most of it done by me, we're second in the conference only by points difference. If we'd been offered 4-2 into the bye at the start of the year I reckon we'd have taken it to a man.

Still heaps to work on, but they've given themselves a chance to have a real crack at the rest of the season. Great to see them get a win outside Mexico today, well done boys.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
^^^^Would have thought to get 4-2 would have been two wins at home.

The rest of the season is in blocks of threes with no major travel so really do have a good chance if we can pick up a win in Nz and win all home games.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Canes (h), Cheetahs (h), Blues (a), Brumbies (h), Chiefs (a), Force (h), Stormers (h), Saders (a), Reds (a).

Reds, Cheetahs, Force and Blues are must wins. We don't deserve to play playoffs otherwise.

We then need at least 2 wins, likely 3 if one of them is the Stormers from the remaining 5.

To me, that means we want a 3-0 record between byes for insurance, 2-1 is ok, but 1-2 or 0-3 leaves us playing catch up for the rest of the Season, against a tough set of teams.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Ha ha ha ha - still happy, Manly boys won;).

But WTF happened in the second half - went missing.

Thought Jordy was the best this arvo.

You just need to let them all come home next weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.