• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Pretty sure I read in the Australian that cox said that they were at final stages with a major sponsor which would hopefully be announced at the end of the month. See how it pans out but I'm the same article coz also said the rebels would not post a financial loss at the end of this year for the first time.
Instead they will make a negative profit.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I'd like the Reds to fuck off, but we've snagged a few of their blokes over the years so I guess all's fair in love and war etc etc.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Josh Coward has made his way up there according to the QPR thread. One is too many! :p Although as I commented on in the thread, the Vic Comps aren't really set up to support his type IMO. He'll be a class above in any Colts game he plays, but the alternative is getting smashed to pieces physically in Grade. Colts in one of the "proper" rugby states is the best for him, just sucks for usl

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
I reckon they will drive a dump Tick full of cash up to his House in order to keep him.

I get that he's a Queenslander born and raised, but I get a sense that his loyalty to the Club that 'gave him a chance' (his words) might tip in our favour. Then again, the pull of returning Home might just be too good. I don't think he's in any danger of losing his starting spot at the Rebels, so game time won't be an issue.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Mafi would be a good get for us.

The Reds seem to have a pretty big wish list of players, including, but not limited to: Higgers, Genia, Cooper, Houston, Mowen, Mogg and now McMahon.

Have they started their world wide search for a coach yet?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Potentially questioning Timani's place in the team again with Mafi. Mafi isn't the same class of lineout player as Higgers and Thomson are, the desire to play 2 genuine locks (probably Jeffries and Cummins) for the sake of the set piece comes into play.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Potentially questioning Timani's place in the team again with Mafi. Mafi isn't the same class of lineout player as Higgers and Thomson are, the desire to play 2 genuine locks (probably Jeffries and Cummins) for the sake of the set piece comes into play.
A Reid, McMahon, Mafi backrow would be pretty short, I think they're all well under 190cm. McMahon would probably be the tallest of them.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
A Reid, McMahon, Mafi backrow would be pretty short, I think they're all well under 190cm. McMahon would probably be the tallest of them.
From Reports, McMahon is on the right side of 185cm (differing reports suggest 185-187cm), whereas Mafi is just on the wrong side of 190cm (188-190cm from various sources).

I'm again just a little worried about the lineout. While Hanson is superior to Leafa (we've seen a ~6ish% increase in lineout success) it's not been as successful as we'd (or at leadt I'd) perhaps hoped. If we played two proper locks, Mafi and 2 of McMahon, Reid and Colby, we'd not have significant issues, throwing Lopeti, as much as we love him, into the mix, disrupts that.

D

daz

Mitch Inman out for 3-4 weeks. Broken thumb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
After watching Friday nights game and most of the other Rebels games I was thinking that while we have improved this year we must be one of the boring teams to watch. We just seem to plug away at one out, recycle, again then eventually it goes out into the backline where they either have a prop playing centre or the backline comes up against the oppo defence which has had ten minutes to get set due to aforementioned one out ploy. About the only person who does something against the grain is Stirzaker and when he does the rest of the players seem so shocked that they all stand back and watch.
Its boring playbook rugby.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
an interesting stat from the TV on Friday was that the Rebels are making huge numbers of tackle busts and line breaks and offloads but not converting into tries. not sure why, but could be related to the "over organisation" of the attack. a break is made but no one is around to support because it wasn't supposed to be this way on this phase. shades of Eddie ?

the "structure" is by and large much better, but as you say its pretty predictable. There appears to be no plan B, when plan A (such that it is ) isn't working. the Rebels have missed Mike Harris ++++++++, acting as a second playmaker. the predictability has led to at least two and if i recall rightly three intercept tries this season, all at important times when games have been in the balance.

unfortunately when you have a young side (both individually and "collectively" ) and TT is the coach, structured play is what you will get. he doesn't appear to be an "off the cuff", "play whats in front of you", sorta coach

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Back selections tough with Inman, harris, Shippers and Engo out.

Maybe Hodge, Sefa, Ellison, Tuipulotu, Crawf, Jack, Nic with reserves of Bip, Hawkins and Placid/Matsushima/Asquith

While I do think Sefa is hopefully becoming a Quality 13, with the 2 frontline wingers out, I'd prefer his pace and offload out there. Shift Ellison back to Outside Center where he belongs, and back in the young bloke.

Status
Not open for further replies.