• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
So, only three four picked in the extended Wallabies squad:

Smith, McMahon and Harris - and Chibba!.

No room for Jones, Timani, Inman, Stirzacker, Meehan or Australia's top try scorer, Hodge.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Don't forget Chibba.

I thought Hodge might have been a smokey, but Mikey probably took that utility spot.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Don't forget Chibba.

I thought Hodge might have been a smokey, but Mikey probably took that utility spot.
Quite right - I must have skipped over his name somehow - edited my other post.

I just don't get why TGC would pick someone like Powell on potential and leave out Hodge. Especially with the current lack of back line depth and, when it's an extended squad anyway.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
And Hanson. Honestly, I can't really say I'm surprised.

Jones is heading overseas, is generally in indifferent form, and clearly not someone Cheika rates.

Stirzaker has been overlooked in the past even when he was clearly a superior choice to the preferred alternatives. Given his dip in form and fitness he was never a chance.

If Inman was going to get a look it would have been years ago.

Timani is too small to play lock at Test level, and not fast enough to play anywhere in the backrow.

Meehan is not good. He's like a worse Rebels-era Phipps.

Hodge is still incredibly green, let him find his feet at this level.

It's frustrating not to see more Rebels picked, especially given some of the spuds who are getting a look, but it's a pretty fair reflection of where the team is at unfortunately.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)

Jones is heading overseas, is generally in indifferent form, and clearly not someone Cheika rates.

Stirzaker has been overlooked in the past even when he was clearly a superior choice to the preferred alternatives. Given his dip in form and fitness he was never a chance.

Timani is too small to play lock at Test level, and not fast enough to play anywhere in the backrow.

Meehan is not good. He's like a worse Rebels-era Phipps.

Hodge is still incredibly green, let him find his feet at this level.

It's frustrating not to see more Rebels picked, especially given some of the spuds who are getting a look, but it's a pretty fair reflection of where the team is at unfortunately.
TBH, I really didn't rate any of Jones, Inman, Stirzacker or Meehan as realistic chances, even though in some cases there are worse options selected. I am a bit disappointed that one of Timani or Hodge didn't get a look in.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I don't think Stirzaker was in with a shot but the bloke from Canberra instead? gtfo here.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Think Hodge and Sefa will go on tour at the end of the year.

Shipperly and Weeks would have been in the squad if available.

Not surprised that Jones, Timani or Inman did not get selected. Stirzaker needs to find form for the final 4 games to stand a chance at any test time this year. His lucky he is captain or he would be struggling to keep the starting spot at the Rebels. I know his a better long term prospect than Meehan but results from minutes played this season has Meehan miles ahead.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Hopefully it's enough to keep Mike Harris at the Rebels for another year.

Lets hope Cheika has demanded the Rebels play him at 10 this week to see him in other positions as well.

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)

If Palu is fast enough, Timani will be fine. if Skelton was injured, he'd get the spot
Inman has been injured and not in excellent form.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Think Hodge and Sefa will go on tour at the end of the year.

Shipperly and Weeks would have been in the squad if available.

Not surprised that Jones, Timani or Inman did not get selected. Stirzaker needs to find form for the final 4 games to stand a chance at any test time this year. His lucky he is captain or he would be struggling to keep the starting spot at the Rebels. I know his a better long term prospect than Meehan but results from minutes played this season has Meehan miles ahead.
Meehan played in the incredibly soft part of the schedule though. And he hasn't impressed off the bench recently.

Stirzaker's in his worst form for years. He looks miles off the pace fitness-wise and it's cost him. Still doesn't look totally comfortable with his shoulder either. And I don't think the captaincy has suited him either. The NRC will do him a lot of good.

Agreed on Shipperly and Weeks. If we're rolling out Luke Morahan all bets are off. I'd take Cam Crawford over him in a heartbeat.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Agree Meehan did get the soft start to the season, he was on the field for 60 minutes of the Tahs win though.

Couldn't agree more about Stirzaker, can they admit defeat and give McMahon captaincy and tell Stirzaker just find some form. It also reflects on the way the forwards have gone backwards, his meant to lead them around the field and just does not seem to be demanding enough. (Was a good NRC captain, just not at this level)

Morahan isn't the worst selection, has looked ok with very limited ball. Would have been a 50/50 against English had he not been injured earlier in the year.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
If Palu is fast enough, Timani will be fine. if Skelton was injured, he'd get the spot
Inman has been injured and not in excellent form.
Palu was a much quicker player than Timani at his peak. And a much better player. So while he's lost his pace, he's got a shitload of Test experience to help mitigate that.

Timani would get horribly exposed at 8. Maybe playing blindside he'd be okay, but I wouldn't be banking on it.

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
Palu was a much quicker player than Timani at his peak. And a much better player. So while he's lost his pace, he's got a shitload of Test experience to help mitigate that.

Timani would get horribly exposed at 8. Maybe playing blindside he'd be okay, but I wouldn't be banking on it.

Don't necessarily think he'd be such a bad fit, he's been given 1 game at 8 when the team collectively played like shit

Status
Not open for further replies.