• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
So is Hawkins completely crocked as in not able to play again ?Asquith hopefully is staying, I also thought he did quite well with very limited opportunities

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
And another signing. This time, 7s player Pama Fou.

83d6a5341ecfe3fb322d8b068c0d40d5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Can't see anything about the Rebels announcing him. Unless you count the GAGR exclusive news and an announcement :)

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
OK, so now I've read the article they actually signed him at the start of this year, but he was then allowed to go to Rio. That didn't happen after slipping in his bathroom and stuffing his ACL.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
By my count that's 30 players signed for next year.

Mikey Mike, Thommo, Luke, Tamati, Fugs, Murphy, Hawkins and Kotaro won't be back next year, from what we've seen.

By my count that leaves Moloney, Metch, Cocker, Fox, Snowden, Dom, Crawf and Asquith in Limbo. If Hagan gets his mutual release, you'd imagine that Moloney and Metch would get renewed deals so we'd have 3 full front rows contracted with Cocker released too.

That'd take us to 31. If the squad is 36 strong (which was the size last season) we probably have 2 "free" slots, with 2 backrowers (only 4 currently signed ) and a 3rd Scrum half probably necessary.

Is that Dom, Mafi, Fox, QC (Quade Cooper) and Snowden with Asquith and Crawf SOL?

AFL_Converted

Billy Sheehan (19)
I really nope we keep Crawford. If Asquith is going that would be a shame as I rate him better than Placid.

I would really like us to sign an 8 or a large lock similar to Rory Arnold. That would also free Romano to play 8. I know he had a shocker there in SAF but he had several shockers at lock around the same time so I discount that as a form slump.

What position will Fou play?

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
I really nope we keep Crawford. If Asquith is going that would be a shame as I rate him better than Placid.

I would really like us to sign an 8 or a large lock similar to Rory Arnold. That would also free Romano to play 8. I know he had a shocker there in SAF but he had several shockers at lock around the same time so I discount that as a form slump.

What position will Fou play?

Wing, centre or fullback

Caputo

Billy Sheehan (19)
I thought I saw on the AFL site recently that Hagan's partner was interested in trying out for the Women's AFL competition. They were discussing sportswomen trying other codes. Happy wife happy life. I thought he may stay another year.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I reckon Hawkins will prove to be a big loss. He looked a MUCH better prospect than Debreczeni this year.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Anybody realise how much and how fast English has progressed since he went to NZ. Not a Rebels specific whinge, but along the same lines as in other threads the Rebels (and all other) franchise really has to look at player development. He is a far better player this year. Sad that such development doesn't seem to happy in Oz. It is relevant to this thread because the youngsters under development now really need to be developed, better than the Rebels did with English, or other players they have and currently have.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
By my count that's 30 players signed for next year.

Mikey Mike, Thommo, Luke, Tamati, Fugs, Murphy, Hawkins and Kotaro won't be back next year, from what we've seen.

By my count that leaves Moloney, Metch, Cocker, Fox, Snowden, Dom, Crawf and Asquith in Limbo. If Hagan gets his mutual release, you'd imagine that Moloney and Metch would get renewed deals so we'd have 3 full front rows contracted with Cocker released too.

That'd take us to 31. If the squad is 36 strong (which was the size last season) we probably have 2 "free" slots, with 2 backrowers (only 4 currently signed ) and a 3rd Scrum half probably necessary.

Is that Dom, Mafi, Fox, QC (Quade Cooper) and Snowden with Asquith and Crawf SOL?
I can't find the post now but I thought someone (Rebelyell?) mentioned that Dom had signed an extension earlier in the year.

We really do need an experienced flyhalf. As we don't have a Japanese international signed so far and, Suntory don't seem to want to play nice with the Sunwolves, I wouldn't mind seeing us go after Kosei Ono on a one or two year deal.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Anybody realise how much and how fast English has progressed since he went to NZ. Not a Rebels specific whinge, but along the same lines as in other threads the Rebels (and all other) franchise really has to look at player development. He is a far better player this year. Sad that such development doesn't seem to happy in Oz. It is relevant to this thread because the youngsters under development now really need to be developed, better than the Rebels did with English, or other players they have and currently have.
When did English go to NZ?

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member

Do you mean Woodward?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Anybody realise how much and how fast Woodward has progressed since he went to NZ. Not a Rebels specific whinge, but along the same lines as in other threads the Rebels (and all other) franchise really has to look at player development. He is a far better player this year. Sad that such development doesn't seem to happy in Oz. It is relevant to this thread because the youngsters under development now really need to be developed, better than the Rebels did with Woodward, or other players they have and currently have.

Did he really progress greatly or did he just recapture his previous form after a big drop off at the end of his time with the Rebels?

He went through a serious form slump and then went to NZ and broke his leg and has now got back to his best form.

Status
Not open for further replies.