• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2021

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
its not the execution that is the issue more the plan for me. To'omua can pin point a kick better than anyone in the country but its generally at a max of 35-40m & when it he is under pressure from within his own goal line the plan is clearly get the ball out of bounds around the 22 & set up hoping for a mistake from the opposition. Interms of joey's box kicking that would have been his 1st back half clearing box kick all year! & yes it was terrible but he never practices it.
Said that to my mate at the game. You could see when the Blues kicked why they were kicking and what they hoped to achieve where as we were aimlessly kicking away possession

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Rugby Victoria has launched a public schools trophy for the first time.
Saw that at the game last week. Odd it’s in under 16s comp but. Maybe they don’t have numbers for 18s yet. But it’s a great sign. Sport is head in Melbourne public schools so if they could grow the rugby comp in the future it could be huge for the code

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Saw that at the game last week. Odd it’s in under 16s comp but. Maybe they don’t have numbers for 18s yet. But it’s a great sign. Sport is head in Melbourne public schools so if they could grow the rugby comp in the future it could be huge for the code

It also may lead to harmonisation with the VSRU, and build more teams into the schools comp. THe big hurdle is the playing days; the new comp is a wednesday arvo, while VSRU still play Saturday sports. Creates all sorts of fun for parents where their child play in both.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
You know what we actually looked half okay when given the opportunity tonight. Carter was not bad, had a couple of sneaky looks but soon found out gaps close a lot quicker v an NZ Super Rugby team than they do in Brisbane club footy. Joey looked his old brumbies self & played a tiny bit more instinctive than he has all year.

It was clearly Leota's best game (I mean he has had good games against lesser opposition) & Hosea just sublime.

The 1 negative, we never remotely looked like we were going to win

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
The 1 negative, we never remotely looked like we were going to win

I thought that too. Even if the scoreboard said it was within a try or two it just felt like there was no chance at all. I was just enjoying the rugby and not even daring to hope.

Classic move by Leota to have his best season when he moves overseas. He's got great acceleration. Fun fact: I used to play in the 2nd row with him before his move to flanker and he was constantly the quickest on the park. He also chip kicked me to score twice in a game. I was always confused because he's never really showed his pace till now.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
I thought that too. Even if the scoreboard said it was within a try or two it just felt like there was no chance at all. I was just enjoying the rugby and not even daring to hope.

Classic move by Leota to have his best season when he moves overseas. He's got great acceleration. Fun fact: I used to play in the 2nd row with him before his move to flanker and he was constantly the quickest on the park. He also chip kicked me to score twice in a game. I was always confused because he's never really showed his pace till now.

Might be a confidence thing from Rob, now feels like he belongs at this level maybe?

You a Northern Panther or RV rep?

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Thought we made a mistake by taking Naisarani off, his go forward was good. Leota good but still looks like a 6. Uelese very good as well.

Magnay very good, for me the MOTM for the Rebels. Let’s keep this team for next week and build from there.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Might be a confidence thing from Rob, now feels like he belongs at this level maybe?

You a Northern Panther or RV rep?
I managed to slip my way onto the Vic school boys tour of UK + France back in the day and me & Rob roomed together. Nicest bloke, but would lick your face without warning. Odd.

Surprisingly good year crop of kids then. Sione, the Sa’agas, Leota, Uelese, the Hoseas etc.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
I managed to slip my way onto the Vic school boys tour of UK + France back in the day and me & Rob roomed together. Nicest bloke, but would lick your face without warning. Odd.

Surprisingly good year crop of kids then. Sione, the Sa’agas, Leota, Uelese, the Hoseas etc.

all i will say to this as a former aps boy "i hate st kevins" lol

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
It's amazing how much better we look structurally when To'omua isn't the sole playmaker and we have bigger dynamic runners in the centers and forwards.

Still falling off far too many tackles.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
It's amazing how much better we look structurally when To'omua isn't the sole playmaker and we have bigger dynamic runners in the centers and forwards.

Off a very low base, it wasn’t good enough but an improvement none the less.

Gordon will play out the season.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
It also may lead to harmonisation with the VSRU, and build more teams into the schools comp. THe big hurdle is the playing days; the new comp is a wednesday arvo, while VSRU still play Saturday sports. Creates all sorts of fun for parents where their child play in both.
Private schools will not play with public schools unfortunately. They are very protective of their comps

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)

Look definitely a lot better. This is why I was shocked they didn’t blood Gordon earlier.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Was speaking with someone on the weekend who is high up with Rugby Vic and Rebels about Carter Gordon. He said he was not picked earlier because during pre-season / trial he seemed a bit “deer in the headlights” so they wanted to give him more time amongst an Super Rugby setup before sending him out on the field. He seems a lot more comfortable now and if he can survive the Kiwis he can handle anything.