• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2023

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
Awesome - now he needs to grow a mullet

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-06-03 at 09.48.55.png
    Screenshot 2022-06-03 at 09.48.55.png
    686.9 KB · Views: 55

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
Surely a swap to LHP makes sense now for us, he has an 80 min engine - he could make the Wallabies WC squad at Loosey as well

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
It’s great to see that there are enough schools playing 7s now that the schools comps in Melbourne is split into regions. Hopefully they can get the funding and the commitment from the schools to develop more XV programs to accompany the 4 sides that play for the Rebel shield

Edit: 12 different schools took part all up. With Melbourne split into North, West and South East. It is really positive to see the growth in public school rugby in Victoria. As the establishment of a strong schools comp will not only help the rebels but the dewar shield and the clubs in the divisions below

Last edited:

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
It’s great to see that there are enough schools playing 7s now that the schools comps in Melbourne is split into regions. Hopefully they can get the funding and the commitment from the schools to develop more XV programs to accompany the 4 sides that play for the Rebel shield

Edit: 12 different schools took part all up. With Melbourne split into North, West and South East. It is really positive to see the growth in public school rugby in Victoria. As the establishment of a strong schools comp will not only help the rebels but the dewar shield and the clubs in the divisions below

There is an established school comp. It's called the VSRU.

Now, when both the public and private schools can play in the same competition, THEN we will have true growth.

Reactions: Tex

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
One thing with Eloff I think for mine he showed heaps of character and leadership this year.

I may not be the greatest judge, but I felt his first week or so wasn’t at the same standard he set for himself last year. The team wasn’t getting the result and it all looked a bit doom and gloom. But after the opening few weeks when we started to at least get back into the fight in games and win some I thought he was far and a way our best player. Just thought he was back to his best. Just made me think that he is the type of bloke I could see captaining our club.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
There is an established school comp. It's called the VSRU.

Now, when both the public and private schools can play in the same competition, THEN we will have true growth.
Yeah look the 9 team private school comp is great. It’s disappointing Ivanhoe grammar has dropped out a few years back and it’s no longer 10 teams.

I agree that growing the foot print in private schools is also important.

I would love at the very least a combined private schools team v a combined public schools team game as a trail for the state school boys.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Yeah look the 9 team private school comp is great. It’s disappointing Ivanhoe grammar has dropped out a few years back and it’s no longer 10 teams.

I agree that growing the foot print in private schools is also important.

I would love at the very least a combined private schools team v a combined public schools team game as a trail for the state school boys.

It's not only the 1st VX, most schools have depth at all levels. St Kevins, Melbourne, and Brighton seem to be building the best rivalry and depth of all teams.

I'd love to see a Public vs Private XV match. Think they tried something last year, where the brothers team played a 1st XV VSRU. Brothers absolutely wiped the floor with them.

The biggest challenge facing school and club is the cross-over of players. Brothers felt it this year, which partly drives the reason to withdraw from the rep tournaments. My team has a few school players, but we're lucky we moved to a Friday night comp, so clashes are greatly reduced. Still not perfect, but heading in the right direction.