• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2023

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
If the Rebels can keep Cabous and Fa’amasuili can stay fit they have the best TH rotation in Aus. Challenge is keeping Fa’amasuili fit.

If they can keep Uelese will also have a great hooker rotation like the Brums have. Gibbon and Orr are solid LH’s. That’s a very good front row.

Hosea and Philip in the locking department with Canham a year older.

Kemeny and Leota fit with Wells, Wilkin and potentially Hardwick.

There is a lot to like about that pack.

Back 3 is good if Kellaway can play there. Hodge, Kellaway, Vaihu/Ripley/Anderson (fit and not missing entire season).

Centres are where Rebels are very weak and have the worst in the comp for first choice pair and also depth. So many first phase easy try’s scored against them with the slightest variation and very little go forward.
I thought hill at lock also looked good. Wilkin came of age this season. Wilkin with leota forms pretty strong backrow.

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
Kemeny, Lachie Anderson, Joe Pincus, Hosea, Jeral Skelton, Magnay - six guys I have high hopes for who didn't play any footy.
Agreed - that's a lot of talent out injured. I'm sure S&C is under the microscope.

Was hoping that Sorovi would get some game time and emerge as the best 9 in Australia as well

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
So did one win against a kiwi side just save Kevin Foote his job? In my opinion a 4-10 record with no wins against any of the top 7 is not enough.

Reactions: mst

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
So did one win against a kiwi side just save Kevin Foote his job? In my opinion a 4-10 record with no wins against any of the top 7 is not enough.
Not in the slightest hopefully. Highlanders were just dreadful this season.

Obadiah Stane might be a nice man but needs to leave.

Proud Pig

Ted Thorn (20)
I thought he had been given a two year extension or is that just rumor and unsubstantiated at this stage.
I hope it is just a rumor as I can't see it mentioned anywhere except on G&GR.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
4-10 is not good but should we be replacing him when it looked like progress has been made? Sure, if there is a first class coach ready to start now, but who? Unless there is a DC-like improvement we would likely go backwards.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
4-10 is not good but should we be replacing him when it looked like progress has been made? Sure, if there is a first class coach ready to start now, but who? Unless there is a DC-like improvement we would likely go backwards.
What's the progress?? I think if we played Highlanders 8 weeks ago we would've beaten them.

Proud Pig

Ted Thorn (20)
How much improvement have we made. Except for the last game we have looked completely lost in attack all year.
Every time we made a half break during the year we would be so surprised that we would do something really dumb to cough the ball up.
Our midfield defense has been at times laughable and on occasion it looked like we simply weren't trying.
After the first game it took Foote till the last two games to realize that we have better organization playing Gordon at fly-half and To'omua in the centres.
I don't see that we have progressed throughout the season at all.
We have just got a few players back from injury.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
How much improvement have we made. Except for the last game we have looked completely lost in attack all year.
Every time we made a half break during the year we would be so surprised that we would do something really dumb to cough the ball up.
Our midfield defense has been at times laughable and on occasion it looked like we simply weren't trying.
After the first game it took Foote till the last two games to realize that we have better organization playing Gordon at fly-half and To'omua in the centres.
I don't see that we have progressed throughout the season at all.
We have just got a few players back from injury.
Then I say, let’s keep him. I’m convinced.

Hogie

Herbert Moran (7)
A difficult one on Foote. Another change of coach is not going to do Rebels any favours next season and importantly who out there could come in? From overseas most notable names are Les Kiss at London Irish and Andy Friend at Connacht or closer to home perhaps Daniel Halangahu at the Blues.

Personally I think Foote will get another season and hopefully with not too many departures and a couple of high profile signings the Rebels can become a Top 6 team.

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
A difficult one on Foote. Another change of coach is not going to do Rebels any favours next season and importantly who out there could come in? From overseas most notable names are Les Kiss at London Irish and Andy Friend at Connacht or closer to home perhaps Daniel Halangahu at the Blues.

Personally I think Foote will get another season and hopefully with not too many departures and a couple of high profile signings the Rebels can become a Top 6 team.
He was hamstrung at the start of the season with injuries. I think he’ll get another season

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Others like me questioning Foote as coach and whilst still not convinced about him he probably did enough in last few games to justify not culling him plus with injury challenges. Rebels need to fix the defence plus as others alluded to get some quality centres to bolster depth there.

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
Others like me questioning Foote as coach and whilst still not convinced about him he probably did enough in last few games to justify not culling him plus with injury challenges. Rebels need to fix the defence plus as others alluded to get some quality centres to bolster depth there.
And fix basic handling skills