• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2023

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
Not all confirmed,

Cabous said his staying on Sunday,
Chibba retiring
RHP moving on

Have also been told that pretty much all experienced front rowers are getting good offers from the UK, English clubs have realized there front row depth is not good enough to compete in the Premiership and Europe at the same time.
With the English premiership reducing it's salary cap I imagine the deals on offer will be much less than in the past.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
If the Rebels can keep Cabous and Fa’amasuili can stay fit they have the best TH rotation in Aus. Challenge is keeping Fa’amasuili fit.

If they can keep Uelese will also have a great hooker rotation like the Brums have. Gibbon and Orr are solid LH’s. That’s a very good front row.

Hosea and Philip in the locking department with Canham a year older.

Kemeny and Leota fit with Wells, Wilkin and potentially Hardwick.

There is a lot to like about that pack.

Back 3 is good if Kellaway can play there. Hodge, Kellaway, Vaihu/Ripley/Anderson (fit and not missing entire season).

Centres are where Rebels are very weak and have the worst in the comp for first choice pair and also depth. So many first phase easy try’s scored against them with the slightest variation and very little go forward.

Last edited:

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
^^^You left out Joost.

Think he looked very good at FB on the weekend.

9: Tutle
10: Gordon
11: Rippley
12: To'omua?
13: Hodge (Not a fan of Hodge at 13, but might be worth it)
14: Kellaway
15: Joost

21: Powell
22: Vaihu
23: Anderson/Gordon2

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
^^^You left out Joost.

They desperately need a 13 that can get over the gainline.

Despite the first month Hodge was a good performer at fullback and could remain there. Joost is prob the perfect 23 now.

Ideally Vaihu and Rippley would have another season on the wing or bench before been thrown to the wolves at centre, which is both players preferred position.

12/13 is such a weak point but arguably 2 of the most important spots on the field. It’s been a spot where the ball has gone to die in attack and a turnstile in defense.

You could be right with Hodge playing 13 as the other Gordon brother will start to be introduced at 15.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Good chance Rebels will lose a Prop - no need to take on Talakai. Bit of a waste as a 3rd choice THP - it could very well be that Eloff will go back to LHP.

It's Talaki signing that has confused me. Without anyone leaving, the Rebels didn't need a THP but the Force are SUPER super desperate.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
I used to love our Ellison / Inman centres combo.
Ellison yes, Inman no.

Inman had all but one of the trademarks for a great center. Problem is he couldn't find the try line to save himself. 101 caps for 6 trys, played 42 games in D2 in France and managed 6 trys.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Ellison yes, Inman no.

Inman had all but one of the trademarks for a great center. Problem is he couldn't find the try line to save himself. 101 caps for 6 trys, played 42 games in D2 in France and managed 6 trys.
I saw two of his tries at Eden Park in 2013, so a third of them! Still thought he could make a few metres and his tackling was solid.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
^^^You left out Joost.

I watched a game on sunday & there was a guy wearing 13 that I have seen somewhere before playing 12, wouldnt mind throwing absolutely everything at!

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
We can fix our centre pairing by offering a dump truck full of cash to Kerevi.
RA makes it so everyone will basically be able to offer the same (if they have the cash) - Brumbies need a replacement for Simone - Rebels need SOMEONE but just like THP - the Force would just be that little bit more desperate.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Rugby Australia makes it so everyone will basically be able to offer the same (if they have the cash) - Brumbies need a replacement for Simone - Rebels need SOMEONE but just like THP - the Force would just be that little bit more desperate.
But surely the Rebels have more space in the salary cap after the last 2 years. DHP, Koroibete and Isi with no big name replacements signed.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Good chance Rebels will lose a Prop - no need to take on Talakai. Bit of a waste as a 3rd choice THP - it could very well be that Eloff will go back to LHP.

It's Talaki signing that has confused me. Without anyone leaving, the Rebels didn't need a THP but the Force are SUPER super desperate.
the rebels have two young props developing, both of whom have palyed Super Rugby way way before ready, the back up # 5 & 6 props this year were Fa'aagse and Tuquri so i imagine its those two who are making way for Talakai, well thats what im hoping anyway.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
the rebels have two young props developing, both of whom have palyed Super Rugby way way before ready, the back up # 5 & 6 props this year were Fa'aagse and Tuquri so i imagine its those two who are making way for Talakai, well thats what im hoping anyway.
Won't be too surprised if Fa'agase stays in QLD with Talakai coming in to the Rebels. That said it might still be tough to hang on to van Nek as the 4th choice tight head

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Won't be too surprised if Fa'agase stays in QLD with Talakai coming in to the Rebels. That said it might still be tough to hang on to van Nek as the 4th choice tight head

I personally think RVN has a bit of talent but is only going to be a depth player