• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2023

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
There is a still a squad cap size for a number of reasons; to stop warehousing, to stop dilution of the salary cap, and more importantly in the case for a club like Melbourne which has a poor financial history; to save the club from itself by limiting how much it can spend to an amount relative to the grants they receive.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I know there is a difference now but aren't we moving to a centalised contract system?
If anything centralisation will see tighter controls around squad sizes and composition. RA have been pushing for standardisation of things like salary cap across the competition (as in New Zealand as well), so I can't see any world were they'd want to walk those controls back.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
11. Ioane, 14. Kellaway, 15. Hodge, is a good back 3, but we desperately need some centres and backrowers.

backrowers is the last place we need to fill! whose your midfield? with To'omua gone we need a 12. Jooste or Hodge maybe. 13 Ili is handy but not outstanding & the young kid from qld Ripley atm is prob still behind him.

For me (& wait to see what happens in japan)

Gibbon
Uelese
Pone/Eloff (spread their work rate across the season)
Canham
Philip
Wilkin (could play 7)
Hardwick
Leota

Tuttle
Gordan
Monty
Hodge (carter need expierence outside him)
Ili/Ripley
Viahu
Kellaway

Mafi
Orr/Issak A-K (been killing it a UQ hopefully gets a shot)
Hosea (on the way back from 18 months off)
Ioane/Kemeny/Maiava
Sorovi
Ili/Ripley
Jooste (could be the wallabies hodge for the rebels)

hifflepiff

Charlie Fox (21)
backrowers is the last place we need to fill! whose your midfield? with To'omua gone we need a 12. Jooste or Hodge maybe. 13 Ili is handy but not outstanding & the young kid from qld Ripley atm is prob still behind him.

For me (& wait to see what happens in japan)

Gibbon
Uelese
Canham
Philip
Wilkin (could play 7)
Hardwick
Leota

Tuttle
Gordan
Monty
Hodge (carter need expierence outside him)
Ili/Ripley
Viahu
Kellaway

Mafi
Orr/Issak A-K (been killing it a UQ hopefully gets a shot)
Hosea (on the way back from 18 months off)
Ioane/Kemeny/Maiava
Sorovi
Ili/Ripley
Jooste (could be the wallabies hodge for the rebels)
I don't like playing Hodge in the midfield. He can do a job there but imo the only place he really looks international quality is 15. Would prefer to leave him there a whole season and see how he goes.

Backrowers look fine but not amazing. Leota is the only one I'd call international quality, and we desperately need a big ball running 8. Tamati Ioane has the physicality but the fitness and hands of a bricklayer.

Ideally locks would be Hosea and Phillip with Canham on the bench, but Trevor's been injured for the last two years which doesn't look promising.

Would also love an experienced hand at 10 (cough*Quade*cough) while Gordon learns the ropes, but doesn't seem like there's anyone going atm.

All that said, midfield is easily our biggest problem. I would absolutely kill for Hunter to come back, because we have no one to play at 12.

Overall Rebels have a squad which is 90% there, but just missing the top 10 which separates the best from the rest.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
I don't like playing Hodge in the midfield. He can do a job there but imo the only place he really looks international quality is 15. Would prefer to leave him there a whole season and see how he goes.

Backrowers look fine but not amazing. Leota is the only one I'd call international quality, and we desperately need a big ball running 8. Tamati Ioane has the physicality but the fitness and hands of a bricklayer.

Ideally locks would be Hosea and Phillip with Canham on the bench, but Trevor's been injured for the last two years which doesn't look promising.

Would also love an experienced hand at 10 (cough*Quade*cough) while Gordon learns the ropes, but doesn't seem like there's anyone going atm.

All that said, midfield is easily our biggest problem. I would absolutely kill for Hunter to come back, because we have no one to play at 12.

Overall Rebels have a squad which is 90% there, but just missing the top 10 which separates the best from the rest.

Would love it but he aint leaving his million dollar deal at Kintetsu

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Be interesting if Nu’u is coming back. Rebels really need to get a big unit at 12. It’s the way of the game these days, especially with Hodge been able to play 2nd receiver from full back.

As for squad numbers, there is guys on the first page that aren’t going to be in the main squad and will be signed to development contracts, just like any club has players signed to them. They will have no more or no less main squad players than anyone else, but it’s the Rebels so people like to find something to complain about.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Be interesting if Nu’u is coming back. Rebels really need to get a big unit at 12. It’s the way of the game these days, especially with Hodge been able to play 2nd receiver from full back.

As for squad numbers, there is guys on the first page that aren’t going to be in the main squad and will be signed to development contracts, just like any club has players signed to them. They will have no more or no less main squad players than anyone else, but it’s the Rebels so people like to find something to complain about.

I'd rather a 2nd ball player than a big unit ball carrier, especially with a young 10

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Interesting chat with Matt To’omua last week on the roar podcast about 12s and 2nd receiver. I strongly got the impression he thinks it’s slowly phasing out. He mentioned he’s not able to do what’s required anymore because of the rush defences. Very good and honest chat from him. He also mentioned the switch to 15s now pushing up into the line to be 2nd play maker.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Interesting chat with Matt To’omua last week on the roar podcast about 12s and 2nd receiver. I strongly got the impression he thinks it’s slowly phasing out. He mentioned he’s not able to do what’s required anymore because of the rush defences. Very good and honest chat from him. He also mentioned the switch to 15s now pushing up into the line to be 2nd play maker.
I loved that interview, I was impressed with his analysis and memory. He'd go far as a pundit/coach.

I heard it more as if it was phased out a couple years ago and he's trying to play catch up. Not even phasing out slowly.