• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2023

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Not sure a system like that would help the Rebels on balance - you might keep a kid like this, but you'd have a much harder time signing guys like Ripley, Hough and the Gordons if QLD could've put them on good contracts and sent them to Japan for a season or two.

As it stands I think the path forward right now is following the lines of the wests partnership you've been building and likely duplicating it in Sydney. You can still only sign the guys you fit into the cap but you give those academy guys the best possible opportunity to develop while you've got them, still somewhat within your systems. At least that's the best I can see until there's a real third tier to work with.
If it’s harder to sign them we just have to be better at recruiting. If it keeps more players involved at a professional level in Aus Rugby then it’s a good thing. Also Queensland had what Carter x2, Lucas, Lynagh, Pasitoa (curtesy of WA) and Lolesio all come through in the past few years. I am sure some would still be looking to take super rugby opportunities elsewhere as it would be a big battle to win that jersey

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
If it’s harder to sign them we just have to be better at recruiting. If it keeps more players involved at a professional level in Aus Rugby then it’s a good thing. Also Queensland had what Carter x2, Lucas, Lynagh, Pasitoa (curtesy of WA) and Lolesio all come through in the past few years. I am sure some would still be looking to take super rugby opportunities elsewhere as it would be a big battle to win that jersey
Don't get me wrong, I'm for better player loan systems like that and working the partnerships that the super sides have been building, I just don't see it helping the rebels right now. Fundamentally if you want hang onto your locals you just need to sign them first, over the external players.

It is more or less the brumbies system - they focus first on what they have available to them and then augment it with targeted recruitment. It's the more sustainable path for talent importers, but it takes a lot of focus and requires internal development systems to be functioning well enough for players local or imported to realise their potential, otherwise they're better off elsewhere. That's why I think Melbourne should focus on a feeder team setup right now, Dewar Shield isn't up to it but the accelerated development potential in running a couple of feeder teams in the main club comps makes the rebels and competitive and realistic option for young players.

That said it might not be sustainable in the long run, but that's a broader issue for Australian rugby that goes to the need for a formalised 3rd tier.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Don't get me wrong, I'm for better player loan systems like that and working the partnerships that the super sides have been building, I just don't see it helping the rebels right now. Fundamentally if you want hang onto your locals you just need to sign them first, over the external players.

It is more or less the brumbies system - they focus first on what they have available to them and then augment it with targeted recruitment. It's the more sustainable path for talent importers, but it takes a lot of focus and requires internal development systems to be functioning well enough for players local or imported to realise their potential, otherwise they're better off elsewhere. That's why I think Melbourne should focus on a feeder team setup right now, Dewar Shield isn't up to it but the accelerated development potential in running a couple of feeder teams in the main club comps makes the rebels and competitive and realistic option for young players.

That said it might not be sustainable in the long run, but that's a broader issue for Australian rugby that goes to the need for a formalised 3rd tier.
Yeah covid really hurt the Dewar Shield.

I wouldn’t have academy spots solely for local players just for guys on development contracts. Get them playing some professional footy elsewhere

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Allowing the Tahs in for that try on full time was costly for us. Had we held them out we would be 7th at the end of round 3. As it stands we are now 10th. The difference one competition point makes.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
RV is coming from a long way back & punching up a weight class. I’m just happy there is a pathway a kid from Melbourne can see to becoming a professional athlete. If that’s for the Rebs f*** yeah if it’s in Japan or captain of Scotland well done we are all still proud

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Dont recall him being in our academy but good luck!

4FAEFE4C-6BB5-47ED-B6B1-0C69C97B9254.png

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
There was a couple of guys involved last year with the Drua that were from Dewar teams but not sure if still are. There has been a good standard generally from islanders coming over to live and play in Dewar (eg. Naivalu, Uru).

On another note noticed Ola Taulangi was in the Tahs wider squad and played for their A team on Friday.

The wider standard of the Dewar teams isn’t amazing but no way near as bad as many that have no idea about the comp think it is. Some of the bigger clubs aren’t far off the lower end of either SS or QPrem.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Saw clearly this week the difference Eloff can make to the side and Pone been very good off the bench to start the season. Surely Reds, Tahs or Force are going to target him at seasons end, wouldn’t be far off a wallaby top up as the 3rd option, so some money surely here in Aus for him.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Saw clearly this week the difference Eloff can make to the side and Pone been very good off the bench to start the season. Surely Reds, Tahs or Force are going to target him at seasons end, wouldn’t be far off a wallaby top up as the 3rd option, so some money surely here in Aus for him.
Could go back to the other side of the scrum where he started out. Pretty sure he only moved to tight head as we had a lack of options on that side.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)

Reckon all 3 are going to get a decent rotation, Talakai will prob be given another week off to recover from his concision & Pone will prob be rested week 5 as per the wallaby's guidelines

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
I think having 3 very good tight heads is in everyones favour, playing in rotation 4 on 2 off, so with luck will keep both Eloff and Pone F even when TT arrives.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
It’s good for the club but just not possible to keep 3 quality players happy. No elite athlete wants to sit on the sideline every 3rd match or spend half a season off the bench. The short Super Rugby season doesnt help either because you can’t promise a solid amount of game time. It also doesn’t make sense with a salary cap to have money tied to a single position. Pone will be offered more at other Aus teams or Japanese/French clubs to be their first choice TH. Or less money to be 3rd choice at rebels. I’d say he’s almost certainly gone next season, especially because Talakai, Eloff and now Tupou are on contract for 2024

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
How frustrating is it having too much of a good thing for once!

Realistically, I think trying to retain all of Talakai, Eloff, Pone and Tupou will leave us too stretched in other areas. As much as I love him, I think the right thing for the club and him would be to find another Aus Franchise for Eloff and instead invest in a back to replace Hodge w/respect to experience and hopefully ability.

Proud Pig

Ted Thorn (20)
Next year Sam Talakai at 32 will be well behind the others you would expect. Also moving back to loose head might be the best thing ever for Cabous. Sure, tightheads are worth more money than loose heads around the world, but a prop that is comfortable on either side of the scrum can write his own ticket.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Next year Sam Talakai at 32 will be well behind the others you would expect. Also moving back to loose head might be the best thing ever for Cabous. Sure, tightheads are worth more money than loose heads around the world, but a prop that is comfortable on either side of the scrum can write his own ticket.
Exactly

scrans21

Chris McKivat (8)
I know it's only early in the 2023 season, but the forward pack that the Rebels will be able to put out next year assuming everyone is fit is terrifying:

1. Gibbon
2. Mafi
3. Tupou
4. Philip
5. Hosea
6. Leota
7. Wilkin
8. Hardwick

16. Uelese/Rangi
17. Orr/Eloff
18. Fa'amausili/Talakai
19. Canham/Tualima
20. Kemeny/Ioane

If the Rebels good form can continue and carry into next year then you guys should feel very confident.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
I know it's only early in the 2023 season, but the forward pack that the Rebels will be able to put out next year assuming everyone is fit is terrifying:

1. Gibbon
2. Mafi
3. Tupou
4. Philip
5. Hosea
6. Leota
7. Wilkin
8. Hardwick

16. Uelese/Rangi
17. Orr/Eloff
18. Fa'amausili/Talakai
19. Canham/Tualima
20. Kemeny/Ioane

If the Rebels good form can continue and carry into next year then you guys should feel very confident.
All of Philip, Hosea, Hardwick, Uelese, Orr, Fa'amausili, Kemeny and possibly Canham and Ioane are unsigned at this stage and they're likely to lose at least a few of them.

Still probably a strong pack if they're all fit, but not at the level it looks there.