• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2023

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
As a club we need to make a statement and win a big game. This year has been a total disappointment. 1-3 pathetic start to the year. Need to stand up and win games.

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
Well, looks like we could be without Hodge for a while (season?). Big loss of leadership - hope Kels is not far off returning.
Oh no. Just when he was on the verge of 500 points. Are we destined not to get a player to 100 caps for the Rebels? (COVID lockdowns stopped English from reaching 100 games).

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
I see when the tahs put their side out in the press release they players are listed with their club & school as well as down the bottom every player unavailable for selection with the injury & a potential return round. We need to start doing this! I know our club footy is now mainly at wests & uq but every player should get aligned with a club like they used to.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
I see when the tahs put their side out in the press release they players are listed with their club & school as well as down the bottom every player unavailable for selection with the injury & a potential return round. We need to start doing this! I know our club footy is now mainly at wests & uq but every player should get aligned with a club like they used to.

Could trigger RugbyReg, seeing some many QLD schools / clubs in the list :)

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
:D:D:D:D:D

I mean align the each player with a dewar shield club, even if they don't play a game

Agree. We need players to align with Melbourne clubs, so they can get engaged in that community. Many have done it previously, and there is obvious connections with some clubs, e.g. Rob and the Panthers, Jordo and St Kevvies.

Richard Hardwick still does a lot of stuff down at Quins, not only coaching, but playing for first grade.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
I’m not fussed by club names next to players. Personally believe it doesn’t add anything except often fake connection and window dressing. There is a considerable amount of guys in Super Rugby that have minimal connection with their nominated clubs (equally plenty have lots of connection).

A lot of the guys did the vast majority of their rugby education as some small subbies or suburban club not associated with any of the premier amateur clubs or almost exclusively played school rugby before only appearing at any of the clubs when they were already in an elite pathway. Unless the teams are places like Yamba, Byron Bay, Moorabbin, Noosa, etc. where the player played 100+ junior games are mentioned then I have no interest in knowing which club he played colts or several seasons as an adult because was in pursuit of a pro contract.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
We berate Union as being elitist and decry what that is doing to the game, but then in some cases insist on recording the school, usually a top private elitist school, every time the player gets a mention in a team selection. I have not the slightest interest in which school a player went to as a kid. Just another symptom of the backward looking that occurs in rugby.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
We berate Union as being elitist and decry what that is doing to the game, but then in some cases insist on recording the school, usually a top private elitist school, every time the player gets a mention in a team selection. I have not the slightest interest in which school a player went to as a kid. Just another symptom of the backward looking that occurs in rugby.

you support the brumbies. A team based in a town that isn’t self sufficient producing its own talent.

Melbourne produces way more rugby players (on account of population) and ppl up in Queensland/NSW are quite proud of their tribalism when a player goes onto bigger and better things.

MelbourneRebels

Herbert Moran (7)
Yeah so the question re: that is their potential lack of connection to Victoria? May not be a great look? Interested to hear your thoughts.

We've decided this year to focus on heroing our players, so you will notice we are the only SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) team that has a (decent-sized) photo of each player and their number, and tries to display their personality in their pic.

1679542166146.png

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Yeah so the question re: that is their potential lack of connection to Victoria? May not be a great look? Interested to hear your thoughts.

We've decided this year to focus on heroing our players, so you will notice we are the only SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) (Super Rugby Pacific) team that has a (decent-sized) photo of each player and their number, and tries to display their personality in their pic.

View attachment 15528

I think you should be continuing to grow a connection with club rugby, so young kids who play u/8's for quins know that Trev Hosea did the exact same thing

Wilson

David Codey (61)

We've decided this year to focus on heroing our players, so you will notice we are the only SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) (Super Rugby Pacific) team that has a (decent-sized) photo of each player and their number, and tries to display their personality in their pic.

View attachment 15528
Anderson's personality is constipated and Pincus' is no longer constipated (suddenly)?

WFDS

Herbert Moran (7)
Hey Rebels fans. Genuine question from a Force fan if thats ok.

What's your opinion of Wells as a captain?
Were you gutted he left?
Or, were you happy to see the back of him?

Cheers

Dctarget

John Eales (66)

Were you gutted he left?

Cheers
thoroughly whelmed. Wasn't overly sad to see him leave. Would have him behind Kemeny, Leota, Wilkin, Hardwick. Seems a nice guy, good luck to him.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)

Were you gutted he left?

Cheers

Yeah i was surprised he left, think it might have had something to do with loosing the captaincy. Set a bloody good example on field never missed a tackle at the rebs.