• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2023

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
Thanks all, just doing some market research.

Was a lovely day with a nice little turnout, think everyone who came had a good time.
Why does all our merch and marketing have burn city all over it? I’m north of 40 (just) - what is the target audience? Is it actually a thing outside of the Rebels marketing department and I’m just too old to know?

I’ve always wondered - it’s great you guys are here to ask.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Why does all our merch and marketing have burn city all over it? I’m north of 40 (just) - what is the target audience? Is it actually a thing outside of the Rebels marketing department and I’m just too old to know?

Yeah I was always a little perplexed by the focus on the city more than the stars. I guess looking for some sort of relevant identify like the AFL clubs? Is ‘Burn City’ a thing that has existed previously in any other context ?

MelbourneRebels

Herbert Moran (7)

We haven't done a great job of explaining Burn City in the past, that's something we'll be taking care of over the next few months. It is definitely aimed at a younger audience though, but that's on us to explain it better.

Not all the merch has Burn City all over it, but there is a dedicated range, yes. The city element was more a focus of our work last year, as we thought it was important to hero our home town after two tough years. This year we are leaning on more elements of design across the city, which you will see on our home jersey. That design can be seen on Fed Square, AAMI Park, and other areas around town.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)

I'm late 20s and I feel awkward saying it. Reminds me of the time when we were on tour and our ginger, very white flyhalf started calling everyone 'uso' like our islander teammates did. Didn't really go down well.

Feels like I'm co-opting their language saying burn city.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)

Look at the growth areas for rugby the west and south east. All the young kids out that well will refer to Melbourne as Burn City

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
I'm late 20s and I feel awkward saying it. Reminds me of the time when we were on tour and our ginger, very white flyhalf started calling everyone 'uso' like our islander teammates did. Didn't really go down well.

Feels like I'm co-opting their language saying burn city.
Saying Burn City isn’t an Islander thing. Put it like this all the young Eshays out there will be saying it, black white or Asian

MelbourneRebels

Herbert Moran (7)
Also a bit annoyed that we have to pay to get out membership pack sent to us & we cant pick them up at the game
Paying is not ideal I agree, but the fact that this will all be sorted before Round 1 for most members is actually a major benefit to us also frees us up on the first few game days to focus on the game rather than handing out caps and scarves. Plus you have 30 Rebels items to choose from now, rather than two.

MelbourneRebels

Herbert Moran (7)
Hi all,

SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) will be filming a TV commercial next year in Melbourne and are looking for rugby people who'd like to be involved. It will take place in Melbourne in January, and they are looking for the following people:

Junior Rebels fan, aged 12-15
Drua fan, aged 18-35
SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) female fan, aged 18-35

You can fill out your info on this link:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfPfuMpcUEZrP44p_qfZmkiy_h9Qo_5fpAtZ_8JGLbOKj0pow/viewform?usp=sf_link

If you are one of these people or know someone who fits the bill, please apply! You'll get some nice Rebels prizes and $500 cash.

Cheers

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Hi all,

SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) (Super Rugby Pacific) will be filming a TV commercial next year in Melbourne and are looking for rugby people who'd like to be involved. It will take place in Melbourne in January, and they are looking for the following people:

Junior Rebels fan, aged 12-15
Drua fan, aged 18-35
SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) (Super Rugby Pacific) female fan, aged 18-35

You can fill out your info on this link:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfPfuMpcUEZrP44p_qfZmkiy_h9Qo_5fpAtZ_8JGLbOKj0pow/viewform?usp=sf_link

If you are one of these people or know someone who fits the bill, please apply! You'll get some nice Rebels prizes and $500 cash.

Cheers
You obviously missed out 99 % of GnGR ... Fat Over 40 White Guys... I feel you will have slim picking here :D

hifflepiff

Charlie Fox (21)
We haven't done a great job of explaining Burn City in the past, that's something we'll be taking care of over the next few months. It is definitely aimed at a younger audience though, but that's on us to explain it better.

Not all the merch has Burn City all over it, but there is a dedicated range, yes. The city element was more a focus of our work last year, as we thought it was important to hero our home town after two tough years. This year we are leaning on more elements of design across the city, which you will see on our home jersey. That design can be seen on Fed Square, AAMI Park, and other areas around town.
I like the Burn City concept. It being popularised by the Melbourne raised Rebels makes it feel more genuine than your usual marketing slogan.

Reactions: Tex