• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels v Brumbies 2.35pm 07/05

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Even at the end, Brumbies player counter rucks but doesn’t clear the Rebels man over the ball. Then Lonergan comes from the side and kicks it out.

Doleman lost complete control. Why Rebels didn’t take scrum option with Uelese and Eloff on field is very strange.

Happy

Alex Ross (28)
Would be less if they weren't filthy cheating bastards.
1683440656675.jpeg

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Lots of Brumbies hate on here as usual.
Not really. Ikitau (always class), White, Wright, Valetini all played well. Frost really solid.

The bench was initially solid (for that ~65min try), but then they let things get scrappy.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I've definitely seen the Rebels do some dumb shit over the years but spurning a 5m scrum with a one man advantage to have your least athletic player barrel into the teeth of a set defence and gift them a drop out is top three material.

AFL_Converted

Ted Thorn (20)
Yep and Noah's tries were good but it was all support play, not exactly a #10 quality and less likely to get those opportunities at Test level
I wouldn't call his first support play. He picked his spot and we opened the gate for him. I think credit to him for spotting what should have been a half gap

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Carter's pass for Anderson's try was soooo sharp. Had Eddie Jones standing in that corner too.

AFL_Converted

Ted Thorn (20)
I don't know why we were competing for those two maul tries in the lineout itself. All that meant was we were not quite set to decent and the Brumbies drove, rolled inwards and walked it twice. Should have used the throw to set our position instead and drive them back while they are forming.

For me we gifted the Brumbies 4 tries and they earned one. Mind you we got a few soft ones ourselves.

whitefalcon

Bob Loudon (25)
The way the brumbies pile onto a defensive ruck off their feet trying to get the ball needs to be refereed off the park but Doleman is not the ref to do it
To be fair I dont think they did in the first half but then noticed that doleman let the ruck become a shitshow so they adjusted in the 2nd half

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Gordon also took some heavy-duty hits like an absolute champ. Incredibly robust flyhalf.

AFL_Converted

Ted Thorn (20)
Having time to reflect on this I have to say the Brumbies played it smart.
They adjusted to the ref and played the breakdown as far as the ref would let them
The 4 held up was not luck. They positioned themselves in those tackles not to stop the player going over but to prevent him getting it down. Watch where white put himself in two of them. he ended up being landed on but with him and two more holding the player he ain't going anywhere near the ground. If you think about it that's actually a better result than stopping the player as you get the drop out. I'd actually prefer returning to a 5m scrum to the attacking side as it seems a fairer result for actually getting over the line if not down.

They actually set up for a couple more held up but in those ones the rebels player read what was happening and turned to place the ball back instead or pushing over.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Thought Valentini was immense and caused plenty of damage, his stats support that, 13 carries for 106m, 7 defenders beaten and an offload.
Dude is a monster. Walzed through Harwick like he wasn't even there to score. He'll play every minute hes available in gold this year.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Brumbies deserved winners for how many dumb takes the Rebels did. Just really stupid shit. Excited for Hodge to move on and free up, I assume, a lot of cash.

Valetini is unstoppable, wish the Wallabies’ opposition tackled like the Rebels. Longeran pretty handy and whoever the lock was that kept picking our line out off. Toole was underused but I like the Brumbies kiwi 12, hard runner & tackler. Samu was fairly anonymous.

Imagine Carter Gordon with an actual decent backline and 9. Still trying to work out if Monty is good or not.

Missed Canham in the line out, Smith is good with ball in hand but line out wasn’t clicking. Not sure if it was Mafi or the locks. Rough welcome back for Hardwick. He got demolished by Valetini.

Status
Not open for further replies.