• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels v Highlanders 29th May 2pm @ AAMI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tahtrajic

Ted Fahey (11)
If the 13 and 1 Blues lose to the 4 and 10 Highlanders this weekend I will never visit this goddamn forum ever again.
Now that’s a big call. But it would be funny to see happen. After having to sit at the Tahs game and listen to a Kiwi, blow in the wind and back who ever looked like winning then stand up at the end o& the game and declare he was on the Blues from the start of the season.
but onto the game I thought the Force played their best game of the season well done to them.

Tex

John Thornett (49)
Anyone suggesting the Rebels somehow dudded the Sandgropers by not trying for a bigger win is dreaming. Have a look at our win/loss ratio and tell me with a straight face that we'd even contemplate risking a win at home in the final game of the season for some mathematical potential for a rival team.

Great game, glad I went. I called a Rebels win very early, where apart from the Clan's jet number 8, they weren't playing with much zap and interest.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Have no idea how 8 teams make the finals in a 12 team competition. A team that has a 4-10 record should not be in the finals.

Agree - but more games is more $$$ and more people watching on Stan.

It has been discussed at length in other threads, but a 6 team finals - 3 v 6 and 4 v 5 knockout with 1 and 2 playing the respective winners makes much more sense for a 12 team competition. Even the Reds in 7th this year feel like they shouldn't be in the finals with their abysmal NZ record.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Agree - but more games is more $$$ and more people watching on Stan.

It has been discussed at length in other threads, but a 6 team finals - 3 v 6 and 4 v 5 knockout with 1 and 2 playing the respective winners makes much more sense for a 12 team competition. Even the Reds in 7th this year feel like they shouldn't be in the finals with their abysmal NZ record.
Personally I think in a 12 team comp, there should only be a 4 team finals max, but understand that as you say $$$$ make the rules. I actually think it should be 4 also because not keen on 2 teams having a break. Why don't we have a league, that would now be finished and then just a straight out knock out comp involving all 12 teams? Bit like FA cup and league table in soccer. Be interesting concept with a difference, because you will get some real upsets and top teams knocked out wouldn't you?

Proud Pig

Ted Thorn (20)
Kicking it out was absolutely the correct decision.
The Rebels only consideration was for winning the game and not risk the win to help the Force get one over a different team.

If it had been the other way around and the Rebels had thrown the game to ensure the Force made it we would have been pilloried and rightfully so.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Have no idea how 8 teams make the finals in a 12 team competition. A team that has a 4-10 record should not be in the finals.
Now highlanders need to go all the way…um…yeh what was that about team with 4-10 record. Anyhow added to intrigue as to who would make final 8th position and given competition screwed by design not completely against it now days which is a shift for me.

Last edited:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Now hoghlandes need to go all the way…um…yeh what was that about team with 4-10 record. Anyhow added to intrigue as to who would make final 8th position and given competition screwed by design not completely against it now days which is a shift for me.
I have to admit RN, I found the fight for 8th position did add something of interest in last round, which was a surprise, though to be fair it didn't worry me if Clan or Force made it, but was just a point of interest for last round, so maybe not too bad.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I have to admit RN, I found the fight for 8th position did add something of interest in last round, which was a surprise, though to be fair it didn't worry me if Clan or Force made it, but was just a point of interest for last round, so maybe not too bad.
I don’t think I got too disappointed with force missing out for reason whoever won was just going to be cannon fodder for the top side (blues).

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
I didn't know that Rebels has a victory song. Maybe cause they never win lol
Lyrics?
This is actually the 3rd Rebels song,

1st - Was a version to the Les Misérables backing, was written by the original squad
2nd - Stand by me - Adapted after the Rebels and Force merged. Guessing there was some resentment within the squad and didn't want to sing the Rebels horrible squad
3rd - Is this medially written by a couple of the players, no idea what the lyrics are though

Status
Not open for further replies.