• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels v Reds 25/03 @ AAMI

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Your forwards aren't fit enough, they only did that in the dying minutes because they were chasing the game. When the play stopped they looked wrecked trying to recover before the next passage of play.
I'm not sure it's as much an issue of fitness as it is discipline and impact that's overtaxing their fitness. On impact there isn't much of a tight 5 right now, so everyone is working harder to cover those roles - Uru in particular looks wrecked from having to play close to 80 as a lock, I don't think he'd struggle like that as a standard 6. Then the piss poor discipline and stupid penalties compound it, there's so much wasted work, so much possession and territory thrown away cheaply and then they work their arses off to try and cover it.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Yeah, the Reds would look completely different having Hopert, Tupou, Blyth and Jones in the starting 5.

It'd give us better impact off the bench with Uru, Zane and maybe Peni coming in with fresh legs.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Ryan was offside, made a cynical move to hold kemeny and even if he’d not been able to tackle McDermott, its a penalty
If the neck roll on McReight was called in the ruck 10 seconds prior it would not have gotten to the hold back. The ref was looking straight at it occurring.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
For the Reds I thought Smith, Wright, Henry & Petaia were all better than their opposition. I was disappointed in McReight, he got sat down twice in the first half alone and not by particularly large runners. As others have said Wilson has great hands just seems to be lacking in the strength department which is kinda crucial for an 8. Would be very surprised to see him in the Wallabies squad unless there’s a massive improvement.

Thomas has been stepping up, delivering on his promise now, great for the Reds to have two quality 9s.

It’s all a bit moot now but the Reds would be transformed with Tupou.

For the Rebels, a bit alarmed at how we take so long to switch on. Lost quarters 1 & 3 by 5 tries to 0. Would’ve lost this game though in seasons past. Sampson’s influence is noticed in our attack, turning supposed journey men like Ili & Anderson into damaging players.

Uelese should pack his bags now for France, Mafi is essential now, actually accurate with great link play. His pilfering is especially needed now with Hardwick out.

Real shame to see Hosea get HIA'd. Such good vein of form now to sit a couple weeks out.

On paper this Rebels 23 should be wooden spooners. kudos for the transformation. Just need to stay in the hunt for the finals with Kellaway & Hodge to return, then Leota, Hardwick & maybe Philip to return later in time for finals.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
This was so exciting. This kind of games is the reason why I follow Super Rugby. Last night we watched the best 2 Aussie playmakers facing each other. This kind of games would attract the casuals to our code

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Very disappointing game from a Reds perspective, particularly because we're capable of so much more.

Discipline is still the issue it has been for years and it's killing us on the field and looks to be killing our confidence as well. More than any other problem I feel this has to go to coaching and the need for a change at the top. At this stage I'd rather see us play a couple of tight, disciplined games where we didn't fire as many shots as we could've, just to prove we can and give us some sort of stable base to build from.

Tight five the other major issue, though I thought this was Smith's best game in years (even with the stupid penalty at the death). Nasser, Blyth and Jones can make some difference this season, but there's going to need to be some big moves here in the off season. I've said it before but I'd love to see Paenga-Amosa back, beyond that we probably need two props and depending on how much we'll get out of Jones another lock. I'd like to see some fresh blood bought in there, as good as the QLD first mentality has been in the squad there are some gaps the system can't cover, particularly given there has been increased interest in QLD pathways from outside over the last 5 years.

As an aside I really feel for Paisami - another concussion a couple of weeks after his last and a few last year too. I think he's probably set for a decent stint in the sideline as a result, hopefully it's not too bad.

Rebels on the other side of things are really stepping up. A long way to go still but they're well on track for their first trip to the finals. Credit to Foote, I didn't think much of him going into this year but they're building really well. I think it's probably also a credit to Stiles and the team they've put in around him, to have 2 former super rugby head coaches backing you up is an enviable position, particularly given it looks like it is without ego and desire for the top job from those in support.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
People complaining about Campbell but he still managed to break by my count 5 tackles in the first half behind a beaten pack.

Sure, ESPN has Jock beating 5x defenders with 8 runs for 77m. But if we are talking how players went in this game, Pincus beat 4x defenders, with 9 runs for 110m. In D Incus has 5 tackles and an additional missed; Jock 1 for 1. I know comparing fullbacks is not exactly a FB v FB compare as the back three can work differently with the wide wingers helping out to a different degree for each side. Still the stats are interesting.

I'm with you on the complaints about Campbell being overblown, but I don't think he was the best full back on the park.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I'm not sure it's as much an issue of fitness as it is discipline and impact that's overtaxing their fitness. On impact there isn't much of a tight 5 right now, so everyone is working harder to cover those roles - Uru in particular looks wrecked from having to play close to 80 as a lock, I don't think he'd struggle like that as a standard 6. Then the piss poor discipline and stupid penalties compound it, there's so much wasted work, so much possession and territory thrown away cheaply and then they work their arses off to try and cover it.

There is no doubt that the Reds need to improve discipline. In this game though, 12 penalties against the Reds to 9 against the Rebels. It's a pretty quiet night for the ref and not a huge differentiation.

The Rebels were simply a better team.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
There is no doubt that the Reds need to improve discipline. In this game though, 12 penalties against the Reds to 9 against the Rebels. It's a pretty quiet night for the ref and not a huge differentiation.

The Rebels were simply a better team.
It's not just the number of penalties, but the timing/placement of them. Absolute coach killers that spoil our attack, let the pressure off the opposition or even wipe out a well earned try.

They're very different from the intentional penalties near the goal line to prevent a try that when done right reduce the defensive load on the team rather than increasing it.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
For the Reds I thought Smith, Wright, Henry & Petaia were all better than their opposition. I was disappointed in McReight, he got sat down twice in the first half alone and not by particularly large runners. As others have said Wilson has great hands just seems to be lacking in the strength department which is kinda crucial for an 8. Would be very surprised to see him in the Wallabies squad unless there’s a massive improvement.

Thomas has been stepping up, delivering on his promise now, great for the Reds to have two quality 9s.

For the Rebels, a bit alarmed at how we take so long to switch on. Lost quarters 1 & 3 by 5 tries to 0. Would’ve lost this game though in seasons past. Sampson’s influence is noticed in our attack, turning supposed journey men like Ili & Anderson into damaging players.

Uelese should pack his bags now for France, Mafi is essential now, actually accurate with great link play. His pilfering is especially needed now with Hardwick out.

Real shame to see Hosea get HIA'd. Such good vein of form now to sit a couple weeks out.

On paper this Rebels 23 should be wooden spooners. kudos for the transformation. Just need to stay in the hunt for the finals with Kellaway & Hodge to return, then Leota, Hardwick & maybe Philip to return later in time for finals.
Hosea was the pick of the locks in the first half before he left with the HIA. Personally, I didn't notice Wright in the game at all until about half way through the second half when he pulled off a steal. I was honestly surprised he was out there.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
It's not just the number of penalties, but the timing/placement of them. Absolute coach killers that spoil our attack, let the pressure off the opposition or even wipe out a well earned try.

They're very different from the intentional penalties near the goal line to prevent a try that when done right reduce the defensive load on the team rather than increasing it.
Yep, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, poor discipline and inaccuracies are constantly relieving the pressure for our opponents. Regularly turning over possession or giving away unnecessary penalties to give whoever we are playing an easy assist out of potential trouble.

How many times last night was the ball “bobbled” at the back of our own attacking ruck or turned over because of inaccuracies? Just so many lazy plays with players knocking the ball as they went over it or attempted to seal it. That’s before you get into options taken and dumb penalties given away. At times it looked like it was their first run together, other times it clicked and looked like a well oiled machine.

The highs and lows are doing my head in, they’re not schoolboys.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)

Agreed on Wilson, his work rate is top notch and runs some nice lines but he might be the least explosive no.8 in the comp. Would like to see him shrug more players off in contact and suck more players into contact by fighting through the contact. Reds desperately missing Tupou’s ability to skittle players in tight or draw opposition numbers with his presence.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Very disappointing game from a Reds perspective, particularly because we're capable of so much more.

Discipline is still the issue it has been for years and it's killing us on the field and looks to be killing our confidence as well. More than any other problem I feel this has to go to coaching and the need for a change at the top. At this stage I'd rather see us play a couple of tight, disciplined games where we didn't fire as many shots as we could've, just to prove we can and give us some sort of stable base to build from.

Tight five the other major issue, though I thought this was Smith's best game in years (even with the stupid penalty at the death). Nasser, Blyth and Jones can make some difference this season, but there's going to need to be some big moves here in the off season. I've said it before but I'd love to see Paenga-Amosa back, beyond that we probably need two props and depending on how much we'll get out of Jones another lock. I'd like to see some fresh blood bought in there, as good as the QLD first mentality has been in the squad there are some gaps the system can't cover, particularly given there has been increased interest in QLD pathways from outside over the last 5 years.

As an aside I really feel for Paisami - another concussion a couple of weeks after his last and a few last year too. I think he's probably set for a decent stint in the sideline as a result, hopefully it's not too bad.

Rebels on the other side of things are really stepping up. A long way to go still but they're well on track for their first trip to the finals. Credit to Foote, I didn't think much of him going into this year but they're building really well. I think it's probably also a credit to Stiles and the team they've put in around him, to have 2 former super rugby head coaches backing you up is an enviable position, particularly given it looks like it is without ego and desire for the top job from those in support.
What disappoints me is not being able to catch a ball, or know when to hold the ball in a tackle rather than trying to throw a hero ball when it is not possible.

Reactions: gel

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Hosea was the pick of the locks in the first half before he left with the HIA. Personally, I didn't notice Wright in the game at all until about half way through the second half when he pulled off a steal. I was honestly surprised he was out there.

Yeah, sort of. I think that Wright v Kemeny was much of a muchness, but Kemeny ahead by a nose. I think Wilson the best 8 on the field by far, but against the grain I think Wilkin out-hustled McReight, especially in defence. Overall the loose forwards were better for the Rebels. On the other hand, the Red back row was making up for a lack of dominance around the field in the front row. Reds locks were better in this game than previous, even with Smith misdemeanour that called the day for the Rebels.

On balance, the pack was the difference in this game. I suspect the Reds backline is more than a notch better, but behind a losing melee they are doing it tough.

Last edited:

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Yeah, sort of. I think that Wright v Kemeny was much of a muchness, but Kemeny ahead by a nose. I think Wilson the best 8 on the field by far, but against the grain I think Wilkin out-hustled McReight, especially in defence. Overall the loose forwards were better for the Rebels. On the other hand, the Red back row was making up for a lack of dominance around the field in the front row. Reds locks were better in this game than previous, even with Smith misdemeanour that called the day for the Rebels.

On balance, the pack was the difference in this game. I suspect the Reds backline is more than a notch better, but behind a losing melee they are doing it tough.
Ekusai had a good game, for Wilson to be the best 8 on the park by far he must of had the individual performance of the year by any player.

Wilson is a good player but jeez he gets some serious hyperbole from some Reds supporters.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Ekusai had a good game, for Wilson to be the best 8 on the park by far he must of had the individual performance of the year by any player.

Wilson is a good player but jeez he gets some serious hyperbole from some Reds supporters.
Ekusai was way more damaging than Wilson last night. Wilson was contained completely.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
In terms of Wallabies perspective we should have supported Reds in this one. The first Rebels try was an United Nations try.

Stacely Ili (Samoa) kicked the ball, Monty Ioane (Italy) ran with the ball and Louwrens (SA) scored the try lol
Who gives a shit?