• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels v Reds 25/03 @ AAMI

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
In terms of Wallabies perspective we should have supported Reds in this one. The first Rebels try was an United Nations try.

Stacely Ili (Samoa) kicked the ball, Monty Ioane (Italy) ran with the ball and Louwrens (SA) scored the try lol
Monty is a local boy. Grew up only a few suburbs away from me.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Ekusai was way more damaging than Wilson last night. Wilson was contained completely.
I think Wilson's biggest problem is, the Reds don't have another ball carrier. Meaning it's easy for the opposition to double mark him essentially shutting him down.

If the Reds had options it'd create doubt in the defensive line which could allow more opportunity for Wilson to break the line.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I think Wilson's biggest problem is, the Reds don't have another ball carrier. Meaning it's easy for the opposition to double mark him essentially shutting him down.

If the Reds had options it'd create doubt in the defensive line which could allow more opportunity for Wilson to break the line.
Worth noting that coming into this round he lead the competition for gain line carries (47, crossing the gain line on 85% of all his carries) and had 3 tries in 4 games. So as ineffective as people seem to think he is, he's still making a huge impact.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
No-one doubts his work ethic, but others don't seem to see the big ground gains and defenders beaten that Reds fans by and large do.

Sam Old

Herbert Moran (7)

Agree. We are seeing just how good Tupou has been. Papered over clear tight five deficiencies ( they didn’t really exist when he was monstering one side of the pack) and lack of carriers to consistently make big metres apart from HW(LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) may have been useful this year ). May have papered over lack of forward development too. From 7 to 15 Reds have the potential to be the most devastating team in the competition (see the 40 points last night).

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
And Hardwick was raised in WA and plays for Namibia. What about Vaiolini Ekuasi? Is he interested in play for Australia?
To be fair he was born over there and is a capped wallaby. I don’t get why you hate on him for it so much?

What do you want? The Rebels to tear up his contract because the wallabies wouldn’t pick him

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Enjoyed this game. Some calls could have gone either way, but overall I think the more deserving team won the game. It was far from perfect, but I'm liking how the Rebels are building, a few players starting to impress me.

The Red's look good when they have ball in hand and are getting some of their flow happening, but they're just missing a few pieces at the moment.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
I still think the Rebels should be more pragmatic. This is the best I can remember us looking in attack and I can’t remember us scoring this amount of points week in week out. But early in games and when we get east penalties in front we should take the 3 and build score board pressure

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Worth noting that coming into this round he lead the competition for gain line carries (47, crossing the gain line on 85% of all his carries) and had 3 tries in 4 games. So as ineffective as people seem to think he is, he's still making a huge impact.
But what’s his post contact stats per carry? The nature of attack especially someone as talented as Wilson will mean they win the gain line. But there is big difference in winning the gainline with the advantage of momentum through attack and guys that drag numerous opposing players into contact and gain extra distance post carriage. It’s the fine line between work rate and effectiveness

Marce

John Thornett (49)
To be fair he was born over there and is a capped wallaby. I don’t get why you hate on him for it so much?
I don't hate Harwick. Come on! He's a good player. The thing is, too many ineligible players in Rebels.

Let me show my thinking. My team is Waratahs, everybody knows that. In the papers I have to hate QLD and ACT and support the non-traditional sides like WA and Melbourne but at the end of the day, support Rebels is like support the United Nations team. Good players like Stacey, Monty or Ekuasi play for other nations.

You already signed Tupou. That's a step in the right direction. Now you have to sign other Tupous, the cheapest ones

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Well done Rebels, exciting game and did think they would get up. Reds aren't really kicking on under Thorne unfortunately. Tight 5 injuries not helping at all either.

A couple of points.

The Reds are clearly training for flat passes at the defensive line. JOCs passes aren't being called out at this stage because he is taking the line pretty hard and not obviously forward. Could be a smart coaching decision on this given the way they are refereeing the game. Also he is throwing the pass to where the player is, looks to me like his support players are over running their line a bit for some of his passes. That'll come along as they play more I would imagine. IMO not really his fault. I've only seen 1 or 2 blatant forwards from him this year which he shouldn't have thrown, particularly given his experience.

Wilson is an absolute workhourse, skillful and clearly a leader. He is strong and powerful but he looks to be using it wrong. Like a guy who has been bigger and dominated with that for a while/during development. The best guys in contact, take Ardie for example, accelerate into the contact/tackler. It doesn't matter if he is jogging and accelerates or going 90% and accelerating to 100% at contact. He wins the contact. Wilson doesn't do this. He often hits the line at a flat pace without acceleration into the contact. So a bloke standing still accelerating into the contact can will that collision easily. F=MA. If Wilson can learn this he will be one of the most complete 6/8's in the world. He just hasn't got that crucial aspect to his game yet.

Valetini does this quite well but now and then he runs very upright at a flat pace and doesn't win the contact. Often against smaller players.

Thought Jock had a fine game, he did a lot of cleaning up at the back. Made some solid meters and good decisions. Stats don't show decision making, which he almost always makes the correct one.

Again well done Rebels. That 8 is powerful.... is he aus eligible or full kiwi? Is he they guy who played for Wests in Brisbane? Thought it was odd the other big 8 wasn't selected and I believe he actually played for wests on the weekend.

Carter Gordon coming good is fantastic to watch. Finally some options for the Wobs at 10.

Reactions: dru

Marce

John Thornett (49)
I support the Wallabies and I don't really care. Perhaps it's best to choose your words more wisely before generalising.
Where do u think the players who wear the golden jersey come from? You have 200 professional contracts, more or less. Against 680 professional contracts in the NRL, against RFU, IRFU, SRU, FIR, JRFU, FFR poaching your players. And you waste your few bullets in players that can't represent your national team? In rugby the international stage is more important than in League or AFL. Thanks to the 2027 RWC and 2025 Lions tour a lot of money will come in. So you have to feed your national team who represent you at that level.