• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels v Reds, Sat 13 May @ 7:45pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Enfield

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I am moving to Melbourne from Sydney soon and one of the positives was at least I can go and watch the rebels. I have sworn a blood oath to not attend AFL, but I may have to consider the occasional storm game, if the rebels get the chop.

The Waratahs burnt me one too many times.....as George W Bush said

Fool me once, shame on me, fool me twice, shame on......

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Bullshit "rested".

Why rest a bloke when you've got the bye next week? Doesn't make sense.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

it was only I that said rested. It wasn't a quote.

here's the actual quote if you like:

"“In terms of the other changes in the backline, we’ve been happy with the development of Bobby (James Tuttle) and Izaia, but both Nick and Campbell deserve an opportunity in the starting side after working hard in the background to get back to their best. We've brought Moses into the reserves because he is a different style of player to Nick and Bobby and feel he can provide a spark off the bench if needed."

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
With that roster, the Reds should be comfortably ahead at the 60 minute mark. If Stiles wants to win, he needs to resist his urge to replace the front row. 16 - 18 just don't cut the mustard as a unit, and that is where they could well lose the game late.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
In a weird turn of events, I'm going to a pre-match function for UQ alumni (despite never attending that uni).

Anyone else going to this, or will I be downing the free beers at the back alone?

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
Tuttle 'rested'

Sorovi brings 'spark'

Adam K back in for Leroy.

Leroy Houston really isn't getting much love from Stiles is he? I like Adam K, seems a busy player. What's your thoughts on Houston Reg? In the games he has played I haven't really noticed him too much, which may be an oversight on my part so don't want to pass judgement but am a little surprised at how little game time he has got.

Surprised that Perese would be out of the starting lineup as he has seemed to have impact but Magnay on the wing will be interesting.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
yeah, I'm surprised about Adam K for Leroy too. I think Adam has a lot of development needed in his game before I think he's really considered Super Rugby quality. Definitely has the potential for sure.

I would've liked to see Leroy get another run, but am in a similar boat to you in terms of seeing impact. Can't hold him in good stead around contract renegotiation (although I think we have him for another year?). For that matter no sign of Caleb Timu despite his return via club rugby. I guess he might find himself released at the end of the year.

Perese has been pretty loose in the tackle of late. I probably need to check stats to verify that but that's what it seems to me. That's a worry when we are about to face Sefa and Marika. Of course not Magnay has to stop one of them. I'm keen to see Cam get more time, but just as keen to see Izzy get more. I'm not overly concerned about that one.

Frisby however...

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
Frisby however.

Yes the halfback change was a surprise, I thought Tuttle was going quite well. But then I had high hopes for Frisby in the past, I'm sure he used to be quite effective and a really quick runner but we haven't seen that this year. I'm interested to see more of Sorovi.

What about Andrew Ready? There's been no mention of him since the dumping for going out on the town incident. Has he fallen out of favour massively or does Stiles think he is not good enough on the field?

Overall our lineup looks quite good - happy to see Duncan back at 12 and Karmichael at 15 - he has been so good this year. The Rebels have been a mess of late, struggling with key positions. We really should be a favourite to win this one. Maybe this is the spark we need to then get up for the run home!

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Stiles has always been pretty set-piece oriented so not surprised he's come down really hard on Ready after what's happened when he'd come on as a sub + the drinking incident.

Mafi took his opportunities with two hands.

kickedmyheight

Frank Nicholson (4)
I am moving to Melbourne from Sydney soon and one of the positives was at least I can go and watch the rebels. I have sworn a blood oath to not attend AFL, but I may have to consider the occasional storm game, if the rebels get the chop.

The Waratahs burnt me one too many times...as George W Bush said

Fool me once, shame on me, fool me twice, shame on..
You can't get fooled again!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Teams up. Mad Dog is back.

Melbourne Rebels team for Round 12 v Reds:

1. Toby Smith
2. James Hanson
3. Laurie Weeks
4. Steve Cummins
5. Dominic Day
6. Hugh Sinclair
7. Colby Fainga’a (Captain)
8. Amanaki Mafi
9. Ben Meehan
10. Ben Volavola
11. Marika Koroibete
12. Mitch Inman
13. Tom English
14. Sefa Naivalu
15. Reece Hodge

Reserves

16. Siliva Siliva
17. Fereti Sa’aga
18. Tyrel Lomax
19. Culum Retallick
20. Sean McMahon
21. Harrison Goddard
22. Will Miller
23. Jack Maddocks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
yes this is the putative team as of thursday, there's plenty of time for more injuries between now and Saturday night. :eek: not sure about 6/2 bench and certain i wouldn't pick Volavola again, ever, anywhere; JGB a much better choice - and thats saying something

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
it was only I that said rested. It wasn't a quote.

here's the actual quote if you like:

"“In terms of the other changes in the backline, we’ve been happy with the development of Bobby (James Tuttle) and Izaia, but both Nick and Campbell deserve an opportunity in the starting side after working hard in the background to get back to their best. We've brought Moses into the reserves because he is a different style of player to Nick and Bobby and feel he can provide a spark off the bench if needed."
That's not what Stiles said in the press conference on youtube.

I don't expect the Reds to win away from home. But then I don't expect the Rebels to win either.

A draw maybe?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
That's not what Stiles said in the press conference on youtube.

I don't expect the Reds to win away from home. But then I don't expect the Rebels to win either.

A draw maybe?
Yeah media conference was a little different to what was in the press release (above) but not substantially from what I saw.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Heavy amount of pessimism surrounding the Reds in this match thread. Sure their season is lurching along like Frankenstein's monster, but they should have the talent to get the job done.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
If the rebels are within 5 points at the 50mins mark, they are a chance with McMahon and mafi smashing into the tired defense but that's the issue they will prob be down 10 by then

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Heavy amount of pessimism surrounding the Reds in this match thread. Sure their season is lurching along like Frankenstein's monster, but they should have the talent to get the job done.

.....And our guys will be wearing their new "Zoo Sport" kit for the first time!!

Status
Not open for further replies.