• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels v Tribe 15/05/22 at AAMI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Couldn't reach out? Perhaps he mistakenly thought he was reffing a league game.
Actually it is something I have often wondered about, if you carrying the ball, and a couple of defenders have stopped you just short of line and ref calls tackle, you have to release hom don't you? So does that mean you can just reach out and score try as they have to let you go?
And no I not saying it is reason I was just wondering why the ref didn't look because as far as I could see looked an awful lot like a try, and so wondered what happens in that case.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ tackled player is allowed to place the ball in any direction including forward & that counts as him releasing it. Tackler(s) have to release & roll clear but obviously if they're lying on top of the ball carrier that's gunna take some time & their momentum may well take the ball in-goal without the ball carrier doing anything. Which is what I reckon happened: came down short of the line, unable to reach out because of guys on top of him, those guys propelled him over the line, TRY. Or at least send it to the TMO. Call it Inexperienced Ref Syndrome.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
^ tackled player is allowed to place the ball in any direction including forward & that counts as him releasing it. Tackler(s) have to release & roll clear but obviously if they're lying on top of the ball carrier that's gunna take some time & their momentum may well take the ball in-goal without the ball carrier doing anything. Which is what I reckon happened: came down short of the line, unable to reach out because of guys on top of him, those guys propelled him over the line, TRY. Or at least send it to the TMO. Call it Inexperienced Ref Syndrome.
Yeah so even if he had stopped short and then reached out thats completely legal (unlike in League). Bad miss by the ref.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Interesting rule though isn't it, you only have to get a yard short of line, get you knee on ground and basically you almost guaranteed of a try. I wonder if they thought of that when law was made that a tackle is made when a knee touches ground.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Look they get calls wrong from time to time, I get that, but they're also stopping play to look for incidental head clashes in a high speed/contact sport. That he immediately dismissed the VR as an option while being confidently incorrect is what shits me

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Interesting rule though isn't it, you only have to get a yard short of line, get you knee on ground and basically you almost guaranteed of a try. I wonder if they thought of that when law was made that a tackle is made when a knee touches ground.
the defence doesnt have to let you place the ball on the line.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
the defence doesnt have to let you place the ball on the line.
But they have to let player and the ball go when ref calls tackle, so nothing to stop you reaching out and placing ball on line. Would be interesting anyway.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
But you can stop a player from placing it with out lying on them
Yep mate I know that, but you can't stop him if you have to release him and the ball, I just think it somehow seems wrong that your knee touches ground and then you can basically reach out and score quite freely. Not sure I have ever seen refs call it that close to the line and wonder if that reason. Only reason I even thought about was because I wondered if young ref on weekend called tackle (I didn't hear it or anything) and then thought the play had finished, and got me thinking.
Would be interesting to hear at the refs debriefing with teams and refs board what was said about dcision.

young gun

Fred Wood (13)
Yep mate I know that, but you can't stop him if you have to release him and the ball, I just think it somehow seems wrong that your knee touches ground and then you can basically reach out and score quite freely. Not sure I have ever seen refs call it that close to the line and wonder if that reason. Only reason I even thought about was because I wondered if young ref on weekend called tackle (I didn't hear it or anything) and then thought the play had finished, and got me thinking.
Would be interesting to hear at the refs debriefing with teams and refs board what was said about dcision.

but it's only the actual tacklers that have to release the player and let them place the ball. Any of the other defenders around the player can then stop the tackled player scoring the try.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
As a former ref, and an old codger who's played/watched rugby since before Abel Tasman sighted these shores, HTF wasn't that a try by Philip? I've hung around far too many referees, both on the paddock and on the sidelines, and suspect the attending whistler will cop a totally-justified pizzling for his incorrect decision.

Reactions: Tex
Status
Not open for further replies.