• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels vs Crusaders Rnd 12 Super Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'm yet to see the game, I mentioned earlier, if the rebels play the way they did against the Bulls and had a good look of how the Reds played last weekend against the crusaders they could win.

MungoMan

Sydney Middleton (9)
The KB (Kurtley Beale) situation amuses me. Certain people have been saying for years really that "he's a great 15, and an okay 10".

I admit to being one off those people (tho' not on this forum). Last week's and yesterday's games have made me adjust my conclusion to fit the evidence. Beale was mightily impressive as an organiser; while retaining his ability to be a threat all on his own-some.

But if he's the Wobs' 10, then ...?

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Players change. It is entirely possible -- likely even -- that Kurtley has simply developed into a flyhalf. He always had the talent, now he is learning the decision-making and organization skills necessary for the position. Let's not forget that Bernie started at 15 too.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
When I heard about the "line in the sand" last week, I thought it was just another team who performed well one week and would fall back into failure. Boy was I wrong!

Amazing night for Australian Rugby. Confirms my thoughts that Inman was one of the best signings in Australia. Now I want a damn Rebels v Brumbies final.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
$13.50 at 1/2 time btw!!!

Some great perspective last night from a mate: "we are on the same amount of wins as last year". Need to claim the Force this Sunday. More importantly a South African team in the Lions come July.

nathan

Alfred Walker (16)
I'd put O'Connor there. Still provides a counter attacking threat, can come into the line as a 2nd five when needed. Linked well with Mitchell and Beale when he played on the wing.

I'd play McCabe at 12 and Inman at 13. Ioane and Mitchell on wings. Quade on bench with Mogg.

MungoMan

Sydney Middleton (9)
I'd put O'Connor there. Still provides a counter attacking threat, can come into the line as a 2nd five when needed. Linked well with Mitchell and Beale when he played on the wing.

I'd play McCabe at 12 and Inman at 13. Ioane and Mitchell on wings. Quade on bench with Mogg.

My thinking was based on (amongst other things) it being unlikely O'Connor would be ready for at least the first international, and maybe more.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Talk about Beale at 10 for the wallabies long term is extremely premature. Quads put in performances like that and better consistently for 2 seasons and he is already been replaced after 2 good games. Please. Shows a lack of quality at 10 besides Lilo more than anything.

nathan

Alfred Walker (16)
Yeah but at the same time I'd argue Beale's had better all round performances over the last couple of games than Quade's had a consistent level. You can have Beale defending in the line at 10, and use someone like O'Connor or even Quade at 15 offering a genuine counter attacking threat and the opportunity for them to come into first receiver in phase play.

I'd use a similar argument if Lilo was available, instead I'd be looking to use Lilo at 10 with Beale at 15 and potentially O'Connor at 12 or off the bench.

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
There's no reason to think Quade would be anything other than devastating at 15. He plays there in defence anyway. I really hope they don't get him back from injury and immediately smash him up with wallabies duties though.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Just brilliant, what a feel good moment. Well done Rebels and fans as that was hard earnt.

Robbie Deans said he was looking at pressure games to work out Wallaby selections. Well I hope he took note of that one. Pyle, Beale and Gerrard would look great in gold. Pyle could be a good partner for Kev at lock. Beale looks good at ten and Gerrad's kicking game is bloody hard to resist. Phipps if he plays like he has the last couple of weeks will put huge pressure on Which is fantastic for Australian Rugby.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
Random question: how were the assistant refs? My mate was on debut, but I didn't get to watch the game.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
The KB (Kurtley Beale) situation amuses me. Certain people have been saying for years really that "he's a great 15, and an okay 10". Which was true especially early in his career, because he tried to to everything himself. But, many/most of these people have failed to grasp that he has in fact changed his game.

Good post.

KB (Kurtley Beale) was a bit of a one man band at school. Joeys didn't suffer their players to be individual stars as it went against their ethos, but he was such a force of nature at that level that a lot of things ended up being revolved around him - after the small blue heeler forwards had scavenged the ball for the backs.

When it was mentioned that he had signed a contract for the Tahs whilst still at school I mentioned in rugby forums that I feared that he would be played before he was ready, such was the Holy Grail quest at the Tahs for an elite flyhalf.

His background in the Joeys Ones was not suitable for pro rugby: he would have to learn his senior rugby trade playing Grade and maybe get some runs from the bench later in the season. After all: SNK and Hangers were in the squad.

It wasn't to be. Link had him on the bench in Johannesburg and Durban a few weeks after his 18th birthday and he started in the 3rd round in Wop Wop against the Cheetahs. Those are things I don't have to look up.

He never learned the skill of running a backline in pro rugby but there were good signs when he played in the short ARC tournament. That was more the level he should have been playing at in his early days. He had some good games in his flyhalf tenure at the Tahs in a two steps up and one back way, but I often thought: what might have been if he had been brought on right?

We have seen teenagers like Goosen at the Cheetahs do well at a young age in pro rugby, and others in other parts of the world, but they were more in the classic mould of organisers and facilitators from the beginning. Their initiation in pro rugby as flyhalves was more natural to them whereas KB (Kurtley Beale) had to recalibrate his game on the job, and the same was true for QC (Quade Cooper) to some extent.

But I waffle.

Status
Not open for further replies.