• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
This is
Interesting that almost a full Reds XV was in the Wallabies promotional squad this week - minus one prop and a blindside.
2. James Hanson / Saia Fainga'a
3. James Slipper
4. Rob Simmons
5. James Horwill
7. Liam Gill
8. Jake Schatz
9. Will Genia / Ben Lucas
10. Quade Cooper
11. Digby Ioane
12. Ben Tapuai
13. Anthony Fainga'a
14. Dom Shipperley
15. Michael Harris / Luke Morahan

Hopefully that spurs on players missing out, like Holmes, to have a big season.

The same for guys like Robinson and Quirk. Samo as well (I've been writing him off as getting too old but he just seems to keep on keeping on).

This is a good, all round strong side with Wallabies or potential Wallabies everywhere. Deservedly favourite to win the Aussie conference. Really looking forward to game 1 at Canberra stadium. Brumbies will test them out.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
what size are you? I might be interested in buying it if it is op shop prices!

That'd be a large and I have to renew my membership yet :) Suffice to say the t-shirt isn't going to induce me to renew. I'm quite fond of the 100 years t with the crest given to members a few years back.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I have a funny feeling that Samo may keep the 8 gig and Shatz move to 6. I would like to see more of Quirk but I just have a gut feeling that this is how it will work out.

T

TOCC

Reds 2013 Corporate Brochure, all pretty standard stuff really.

Reds Indigenous Program:
One point which is interesting which has seen big growth is the Reds Indigenous Program, we all remember the special edition indigenous jersey worn in 2012, well the program has now received the backing of a "multinational corporation" on a 3 year deal to be announced early 2013, this is from the QRU:

As part of the new Future Leaders program, 30 students will be selected from the communities in which Queensland Rugby and its partner have established relationships. Students will be mentored over a year and provided with tuition support as well as personal and leadership skills development.
The Future Leaders program will cater for two age groups, Juniors from grades six to eight and Middle Schoolers from grades nine and ten. The program will be delivered by Queensland Rugby's Game development department through its highly qualified Indigenous community engagement unit and with the support of Reds players and coaching staff.

No doubt Jim Carmichael has played a big part in this, the AFL has historically been very active in the indigenous communities which allowed them to tap into extra funding and corporate support.

T

TOCC

Also, my strange infatuation with statistics has discovered the Greg Holmes could join the '100 caps club' in 2013 he is currently on 88caps(87 Super Rugby matches), Sean Hardman was the last player to do so in 2009.

Since the departure of Peter Hynes who was previously the most capped, this is the order:
80 - Saia Fainga'a (53 Reds, 27 brumbies)
77 - James Horwill
76 - Digby Ioane (56 Reds, 20 Force)
74 - Will Genia
71 - Quade Cooper

A. Fainga'a, B. Lucas, B. Daley, R. Samo, B. Robinson and AWH round out the squad of those with 50 or more caps.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
This is a good, all round strong side with Wallabies or potential Wallabies everywhere. Deservedly favourite to win the Aussie conference. Really looking forward to game 1 at Canberra stadium. Brumbies will test them out.
I reckon the Brumbies will be fired up for these early Derby games, especially against the Reds and Tahs. Guys like Mowen, Lilo, White, Carter and few others will be very hungry to notch up wins.

In a perverse way, Mowen's omission from recent Wallaby squads may work in his favour for the Super Rugby season.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
It seems that the Aussie teams are having a pretty solid pre-season. Hopefully that will translate into results, and we can enjoy a more competitive season than last.
Yep, that's what the Aus conference needs. At this stage Tahs (who have a good draw too), Reds and Brumbies are in with a decent shot.

Rebels and Force have also improved their sides and are capable of some extra wins on last year. Expect the log to be a bit more congested this time around.

I'm writing off the Southern Kings, and want to see them smashed. The top Saffer sides and all five Kiwi teams look very solid, though. Bonus points will be vital.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Reds 2013 Corporate Brochure, all pretty standard stuff really.

Reds Indigenous Program:
One point which is interesting which has seen big growth is the Reds Indigenous Program, we all remember the special edition indigenous jersey worn in 2012, well the program has now received the backing of a "multinational corporation" on a 3 year deal to be announced early 2013, this is from the QRU:

No doubt Jim Carmichael has played a big part in this, the AFL has historically been very active in the indigenous communities which allowed them to tap into extra funding and corporate support.
you can get a gig with them at the moment if you want

http://www.sportspeople.com.au/sp/position/?Action=PostSearch&q=rugby&fCountry=Select+Location

No4918

John Hipwell (52)

Let's hope Pulver is watching.

T

TOCC

RugbyReg whats the go with the new Reds gym, it looks pretty gucci with plates emblazoned with the Reds logo, what's to happen with the old gym?

Also Kooga has started selling the 2013 Reds jersey, i thought they were supposed to have the 130yr logo on them?

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
RugbyReg
Also Kooga has started selling the 2013 Reds jersey, i thought they were supposed to have the 130yr logo on them?

$160 for a jersey? What's with Kooga overpricing their shit to oblivion? Nike are selling Australian football jerseys for $100 and overseas teams for $120.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Yep, that's what the Aus conference needs. At this stage Tahs (who have a good draw too), Reds and Brumbies are in with a decent shot.

Rebels and Force have also improved their sides and are capable of some extra wins on last year. Expect the log to be a bit more congested this time around.

I'm writing off the Southern Kings, and want to see them smashed. The top Saffer sides and all five Kiwi teams look very solid, though. Bonus points will be vital.

I dont think Southern Kings will have a good season as a team but i expect them unearth a few gems which the team can be built around after picking up a couple Pampas XV players and Daniel Adongo

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
$160 for a jersey? What's with Kooga overpricing their shit to oblivion? Nike are selling Australian football jerseys for $100 and overseas teams for $120.

Because people get outraged, post on forums about how outraged they are, and then promptly buy it anyway.

Seriously though, a rugby jersey in Aus is a luxury item. It's not like a Bball snap-back where loads of kids buy it. I think if we saw stats we'd be surprised with how few are sold each year.

I dont think Southern Kings will have a good season as a team but i expect them unearth a few gems which the team can be built around after picking up a couple Pampas XV players and Daniel Adongo

The big issue for Saffas is they have the depth to field 5 or even 6 Super Rugby teams easily but employment laws in France make hiring Africans very easy.

This is why their are so many South Africans in the Top 14 as "squad players" (as in they fall outside the 22 in key games) whereas Aussies and Kiwis usually are marquee signings.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Maybe. But are the Kings even guaranteed to be in Super Rugby next year?

If they have to play off to stay up, it will affect long term signings.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

The Kings will be playing in Super Rugby next year in place of the Lions. That is guaranteed. I suspect the playoff thing won't be too big of an issue in the future as I think the SARU find themselves in over this issue will lead to preemptive calls from groups from within to push through another expansion of Super Rugby.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)

I have a feeling most players are getting clauses in their contracts which specify that they are allowed to leave or play at super 15 level for another team

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
The Kings will be playing in Super Rugby next year in place of the Lions. That is guaranteed. I suspect the playoff thing won't be too big of an issue in the future as I think the SARU find themselves in over this issue will lead to preemptive calls from groups from within to push through another expansion of Super Rugby.

If a 16th team is to be introduced it will not be from South Africa as they are struggling currently to have all their current teams competitive, i would suggest it would most likely be an Argentinian team

Status
Not open for further replies.