• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Sorry to see Butler go to the Brums
My concern for the Reds is whether RG attempts to put his own stamp on the team at Ballymore as opposed to continuing with the processes that are currently in place.

Heard all sorts of good things from the West when RG was assistant but some poor reports when he took the reins.

Suppose its always a dangerous thing- something about "If its not broke

The reds however, certainly need some tweaking in spots"

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
News to me also. Does he play 7? May be to replace Colby if true.

Yes he's played in all back row positions for the Reds this season at times I believe but has probably played mostly at 7 when LFG has been out or with the Wallabies squad.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
There really should be some sort of transfer fee.
The Reds nurture a young player, and just when he starts to perform, he is nabbed by another Super 15 team, Higgensbotham particularly comes to mind.
If the ARU want to kill off Queensland rugby, then allow other states to continually steal our players. Hence a transfer fee to make up for providing the fodder.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Very suprised the Reds letting Butler leave. I'm not exactly feeling very confident about our backrow after Saturday night. Shatz probably had one of his poorest games this year but I still think he's reached the peak of his development which is concerning.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
There really should be some sort of transfer fee.
The Reds nurture a young player, and just when he starts to perform, he is nabbed by another Super 15 team, Higgensbotham particularly comes to mind.
If the ARU want to kill off Queensland rugby, then allow other states to continually steal our players. Hence a transfer fee to make up for providing the fodder.

It is the way the cookie crumbles. States (all states) will develop young players to build depth in their squad. Once they are any good they will want more game time to further develop. When they don't get it in their current province they will rightfully go looking for it elsewhere. It's the nature of the beast and necessary to develop Rugby in Australia.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
When did this happen? I had no idea we had lost Butler?! He was coming along nicely!

Shit, if that's true, we can't keep losing players like Higgers, Diggers, Butler, Samo etc and not have some kind of near-term external recruitment strategy to replace these types of players (Butler in a different category I know).

I'd love to see RG's '2014 S15 competitive capability assessment' that he must one assumes compile for the QRU. Particularly the section dealing with 'aggressive ball carriers that can routinely link break vs the best teams'.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I'm very happy with Kerevi signing. He's been tearing it up in premier rugby.

Hopefully the reds are able to tie some other young blokes for the academy team next year like Gunn, Greene and Placid. I expect other U20's players like Parker, Paraka, Nguamo, Ready, Meehan and that flyhalf from sunnybank might stick around as well.

I would like to see the reds sign Caleb Timu. Played rugby at school, currently in the broncos fulltime squad at 19 and could be a devastating runner at 6 or 8.

Ben Meehan? If he's the best of our U20's scrum half options we're in trouble. Wonder if we have a chance of nabbing Waldo Wessels - maybe that's just me dreaming. I'd say both Meehan and Scott Gale would be called up to a QLD academy side.

Agree on Michael Gunn, Andrew Ready, Pettowa Peraka and Maile Nguamo (sp?). I'd expect a few uni guys like Jack Cornelsen, Adam Korzyck, Conor Mitchell and Gareth Kallel to be in the mix too. I'd like to see Jake McIntyre part of the set up. That Sunnybank fly-half could be Chazz or Henry Taefu, although I think the latter is injured atm and I wasn't impressed by him at the U20's WC.

Yeah, Timu was exceptional at school but I think he's pretty much been tied to league since he was 15/16. Can't see us getting him back any time soon after recent performances for the baby Broncos. I'd be more inclined to chase someone like Tuatala Tasi, then again the switch over takes a year or so before we will see results particularly the forwards.

When did this happen? I had no idea we had lost Butler?! He was coming along nicely!

I have a feeling we had to lose either him or Curtis Browning. Pity cause Butler has looked promising, Browning is potentially better IMO.

Suck that Olympic sevens is so soon. Sean McMahon would have been ideal for the Reds. Can we also try steal back PAE from the Force, he belongs in Red!

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
McMeniman, Pocock, Mowen, Higginbotham, Richard Brown, Schatz, Gill, Cottrell, Quirk. These are just some of the names that at least started for a Super Rugby province in 2013 & is QLD born & bred.

You can all be freaking out right about now at our 6/8th depth but QLD has a way of growing quality backrowers like you can pick them off a flowering tree down at Herston.

I'm sure the REDS will pick one out of club rugby to fill the void in the off chance that Gill, Schatz, Quirk gets injured and Browning needs to fill that void.

T

TOCC

Let players just leave??

The reds have had a awesome retention rate the past 3 years, some hit their retirement age whilst others chased deals which were just too good elsewhere...

It's inevitable that players will leave, Higgers and Digby were unfortunate but other guys barely making the 15 or 22 are understandable in leaving for game time.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Yeah agreed TOCC, they have retained the players they want too. & the culture of retaining the players they want has certainly improved (Cooper, Genia & Horwill being prime examples) compared to the good old days where guys like Stephen Moore, Drew Mitchell & Berrick Barnes wouldn't even contemplate signing a extension with the REDS.

I was more referring to the overall talent that we pump out 22 spots & such a diverse depth chart of guys just looking to lockdown a Super Rugby spot!! You know QLD does have a solid argument for a 2nd Super Rugby team. We could sign a competitive squad of players who are living interstate for the only reason why they originally left the sunshine state was because there was not enough roster spots on the REDS to accomodate their talents.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Oh i forgot about the events surrounding Genia signature (was that a bidding war?), Did he return back to the REDS for less money? I think I remember Genia renegging on the Force handshake even though there was more money on the table?

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Scott Gale? Remember Scott and Brett Gale playing for the WS Magpies in the Sydney League comp many moons ago. Any relation?

Nope. The one I was referring to is 19y.o and plays for University in QLD. Went to St Joseph's Nudgee College and played Aus Schools in 2011.

Quick google search came up with a Scott Gale who played league in 1983. If this is around the date you're thinking then perhaps you should have a quick search of his name, the top results don't bear good news.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I think it may have been mentioned earlier in this thread but part of the reason for the Reds successful 2011 campaign seemed to be that we had such great depth and rotation in the backrow. Aside from the obvious standouts like Higgers and Gill, we had blokes like Robinson and Samo play themselves into the Wallabies and Quirk and Shatz fill in when needed who ended up showing they were more than able to hold their own.

Looking at 2013 it seemed those younger guys, particularly Quirk IMO, seemed to drop off near the end of the year, which is fair enough being his first full season of run on. But it just seems to emphasize the point that it is a position where we do look very thin coming into 2014.

Surely someone in the Reds system is out there looking for a hard running backrower with proven Super Rugby experience who can be looked upon to get us over the gain line every time he touches the ball. I would love to come up with some contenders but all the ones who come to mind ie Palu, Fotu, the younger Timani, have already been wrapped up for 2014 by other clubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.