• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I love seeing all the old games out at Ballymore. I remember going out there before the Reds headed over to Lang Park.

Qld Rugby just doesn't feel the same when games aren't at the homeland.

I understand all the reasons (transport, crowd numbers, etc) but still.

Would love to see a back2ballymore game next year.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
I love seeing all the old games out at Ballymore. I remember going out there before the Reds headed over to Lang Park.

Qld Rugby just doesn't feel the same when games aren't at the homeland.

I understand all the reasons (transport, crowd numbers, etc) but still.

Reds crowd numbers are just too good, I don't think there's been a crowd small enough to fit into ballymore for a few years now. With the a trial or two and now the NRC there I'm happy as it is.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I enjoy the nostalgia as well, however, I've said this before that Ballymore simply doesn't have the infrastructures to host capacity games these days.

I've been highly critical of the grounds in the past but the more I think about it I've come to realize it also something to do with what I (the spectator) have come to expect from a professional rugby stadium. I want multiple bars and toilets where the line up is 5mins not 15mins, a better selection of food and to easily commute to and from the grounds to my house and/or the local bars. If Ballymore were to cater to all those needs then it would lose its historical appeal and essentially become a different stadium.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)

I don't. The past three occasions (in recent history) I've been to a game at Ballymore it just hasn't lived up to the hype. Sure it has a more historical feel about it, but the fact that I can get out of Suncorp and be half way through a beer before even getting on a bus has greater weight to a better night out. Overall, with the facilities around Suncorp, the average punter gets a more enjoyable night out and I'm sure the dads with young kids appreciate the ease of getting onto a train or bus compared to the shit fight that Ballymore has.

dillyboy

Arch Winning (36)
What I like about this is the scuttlebutt about Quade heading to France appears to be the usual Sydney Morning Herald drivel.

Surely if he's calling our new signings he doesn't plan on going anywhere......

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
What I like about this is the scuttlebutt about Quade heading to France appears to be the usual Sydney Morning Herald drivel.

Surely if he's calling our new signings he doesn't plan on going anywhere..

He's definitely had a substantial offer from a French club. I don't think the media reports are drivel so much as just reporting that offers are on the table.

I doubt he'll leave at this point either. It doesn't stop French clubs making big offers nor does it stop the media from reporting it.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Is there a system in place to stop teams/agents discussing offers and new contracts with a player before they are technically a 'free-agent'?

I know in most American sports there is a certain time frame which must elapse before any conversations no matter how informal are allowed to be held between rival organisations and a player.

It must be difficult for some of these current stars if they're getting told they have $200,000 more a year on offer elsewhere when they are still in the middle of a current contract. Would be an unnecessary ego-boost and/or raise doubts about whether they made the right choice.

T

TOCC

Is there a system in place to stop teams/agents discussing offers and new contracts with a player before they are technically a 'free-agent'?

I know in most American sports there is a certain time frame which must elapse before any conversations no matter how informal are allowed to be held between rival organisations and a player.

It must be difficult for some of these current stars if they're getting told they have $200,000 more a year on offer elsewhere when they are still in the middle of a current contract. Would be an unnecessary ego-boost and/or raise doubts about whether they made the right choice.

no and theres a fairly good reason why, rugby union is an international game and there is no set international season, when one season is finishing in the southern hemisphere another is just starting in the north. Its also a restriction of trade on the player, a player needs to be able to negotiate and plan his future.

American sport(MLB, NFL, NBA) AFL and the NRL are slightly different, they represent the major sporting body for their respective code in the world. They can dictate those sort of rules because there aren't clubs from other international tournaments trying to sign those players.

In saying that i believe their is a rule in place about Australian Super Rugby franchises not been able to approach a player from another franchise not before a set date, i think its about mid-way through the season.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I genuinely hope that young Tongan Thor doesn't receive the same level of heckle Quade did in NZ.

Not a reflection on Kiwis at all, every sport and nation has small group of idiotic supporters.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Depends if Thor disrespects Rutchie.

Quade has come so far since those days, he has really settled into his senior position in the team.

I rekon next year when he is wearing 10 in a Bled test the kiwis will have nothing but respict for him and not boo him everytime he touches the ball.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
no and theres a fairly good reason why, rugby union is an international game and there is no set international season, when one season is finishing in the southern hemisphere another is just starting in the north. Its also a restriction of trade on the player, a player needs to be able to negotiate and plan his future.

Thanks for that, makes sense in that regard.

Jeeper

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Regarding outside backs, there's also the following bit of scuttlebutt floating around.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...come-an-olympian/story-e6frf3pc-1227054270677

Younger brother of Ben Barba.

Marmin would be a good signing for the 7s. IMO has more competitiveness then his brother and has always been faster. Had a major setback in his late teens after suffering from leukemia but has bounced back well and is playing well for Ipswich. He is bloody quick off the mark but like Shannon Walker, probably wouldnt suit the 15 man game.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Also why the hell would we need another outside back? A THP to get us through the next decade (is it Thor?) and a line breaking/bending back rower are what we need.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.