• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Is it possible that Tupou is being signed as a future line busting back rower rather than as a prop?

I'd think they'll have an open mind to where he ends up now that they've signed him. First option will probably be prop, but given his potential around the field I doubt they'd hesitate to try him elsewhere if it wasn't working out.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Personally I hope they say to him 'mate, you were made for the front row. What you do around the field is great. Now we're going to teach you to really hurt people in scrums'. The guy is a tank and seems full of aggression. Prop seems the perfect fit to me. Sure, he's going to get pumped a hundred times whole he develops, but so long as he gets mad about it he should be great in the long run.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
I just hope that the kiwis haven't done a Deans with us. Easy to look good against schoolboys, but it will take plenty of grunt work for him to be ready to take on men, seasoned professional men at that, in Super Rugby.

Reds will need to be careful with this talent, and don't bugger him up by throwing him in to the big show too early.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Is it possible that Tupou is being signed as a future line busting back rower rather than as a prop?
I have been wondering about him as a hooker, they seem to get more chance for a run and I think we will be needing a new hooker in about 3 years when one of ours leaves due to not starting.

If he is not hooker then he may also be able to wreak havoc if he went to the backline for set moves off a lineout

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
We already lost a guy who we tried to change to hooker in Anae. I think we leave him at prop and teach him how to scrummage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I'm not convinced Jets. Just because of Anae's inability to make the move doesn't mean you stop considering it. Particularly when there are many other propping candidates coming through.

Aussie D

Bob Davidson (42)
Anyone else think Tongan Thor reminds them of Rodney Blake? Schoolboy sensation tipping the scales at greater than 130kg, noted for his ball running and try scoring? Hope he turns out better than Rodzilla.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
^ agreed. I must admit I'm more than a bit anxious about the Hollywood recruitment paradigm that RG and co. seem to subscribe to. My impression is that, historically, relying on bringing in superstars and hoping they drive you forward is largely a pathway to nowhere.

The Force, the Brumbies and the Rebels have all tried it in Australia in the last 5-7 years with poor outcomes.

Culture, standards and pride are all far more important (see Brumbies and Force last 2 years, Tahs this year though they did have a number of big names.)

Point is, when RG was asked at the Gala did he think the big signings would be enough to turn around the Reds fortunes
His response was "yeah mate I think it will". That fucking terrifies me. For a club who rode strong culture to a title...

RG has left many clues that suggest incompetence and unsuitability to be head coach. This is just the most recent. I fear he believes that we struggled this year because of injuries and a lack of cattle, rather than recognizing that good players playing badly implicates him more than anyone. Disturbingly, it also seems he has sold that fantasy to Reds senior management...

I live in hope for next year, but I worry that the organizational malaise that infected the 2014 Reds will not be erased until RG has driven us into the ground and is forcibly removed.

B

Bobby Sands

Anyone else think Tongan Thor reminds them of Rodney Blake? Schoolboy sensation tipping the scales at greater than 130kg, noted for his ball running and try scoring? Hope he turns out better than Rodzilla.

Alot more dynamic than Rod! Also Rod, could have been anything. I just don't think he actually had the drive to make it happen.

We already lost a guy who we tried to change to hooker in Anae. I think we leave him at prop and teach him how to scrummage.

Anae was another who stagnated. However for different reasons, as apparently his work ethic was very good. He had been in the system since he was about 15, and through lack of opportunity or whatever it was he became stale. This is exactly why Link would mix up squads week to week. Keep starters on their toes, and keep squad players hungry. I think a change of scenery will be good for both parties.

T

TOCC

you're dammed if you do and your dammed if you don't..

Imagine if the Reds had decided against chasing the Tongan Thor because of all the reasons been suggested on here, he inevitably signed with the NZRU and becomes an AB's prop in a few years time. Everyone would be like "why didn't we chase him when we had the chance"?

Signing young players is a risk, however its also an investment with potential returns, he could become a fantastic prop at Super Rugby and Test level, or he might amount to nothing...Australia has struggled at finding quality props for years now, maybe a risk like this is worthwhile.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Qld Country's performances in the NRC are starting to worry me. They are a decent team on paper, but not performing to the level they should.

Country are currently being well beaten by the Rays, who have 3 or 4 Tahs squad members, whereas Country have 4 Wallabies and a couple Reds.

I worry about Meehan as Reds backs coach, not sure he is doing a good job at all.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Qld Country's performances in the NRC are starting to worry me. They are a decent team on paper, but not performing to the level they should.

Country are currently being well beaten by the Rays, who have 3 or 4 Tahs squad members, whereas Country have 4 Wallabies and a couple Reds.

I worry about Meehan as Reds backs coach, not sure he is doing a good job at all.

Yep. I thought Meehan would be a great signing and he has turned out to be a bit of a disaster.

The performance of QLD country gives the QRU a pretence to sack him before the start of next season, and I think it would probably be in the best interests of the Reds if they did.

B

Bobby Sands

How has he been so ineffectual? There is absolutely no clear stamp of his style, and we look largely clueless in attack this season. He has such a good coaching resume. Really makes you wonder.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Country back in front now, but their backline cohesion is still a mess. They are kicking away attacking ball.

T

Train Without a Station

Considering that 2 of the wallabies 3 front rowers last night were converted from Australian schoolboys back rowers, I'd doubt that very much.

todd4

Jim Clark (26)
How has he been so ineffectual? There is absolutely no clear stamp of his style, and we look largely clueless in attack this season. He has such a good coaching resume. Really makes you wonder.

Thought the same thing when he came to the Force. Excited to have an attacking coach with a great coaching resume but he had no impact at all. While he was with us our attack skills/ability showed no improvement. Big disappointment.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I like that the Reds have taken an 'un-orthodox' approach in signing the young giant. I'm also glad that it gives an 'up-yours' to all the other sides after him, showing that the Reds are serious about the medium term future, not just the short term I.e. signing JOC (James O'Connor) and KHunt.

I suggest getting Andy McIntyre to give him a few tips with scrummaging.
With development, I think he could be competitive a scrum-time, similar to Paul Alo-Emile.

But, I like seeing Reds HQ thinking out of the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.