• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

Presently, unless we play 2 reserve loosies, we will have an internationally capped back rower miss out on the 23.

T

Train Without a Station

Beau, Schatz, Gill, Thomson and Tui are all capped for their respected countries.

Personally, with Thomson now coming into the team my best back row would be:

6. Thomson
7. Gill
8. Browning
20. Robinson

Some may prefer Schatz on the bench as he adds more versatility.

Personally I think Graham will go for something more conservative like:

6. Thomson
7. Gill
8. Schatz
20. Browning

And still Browning will sub either on the side and play Schatz for 80.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I tend to think Beau Robbo is going to be the one squeezed out of the matchday squad.

Quirk and Tui would also be outside the best 23.

T

Train Without a Station

I think that's what Graham will do. But I think that is wrong and it ignores the fact that Schatz and Quirk had no impact and influence on games where as half the time Beau did manage too. Also when he was our main running option and the smallest in the pack, he could offer much more around players who are actually performing their roles well.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
I have a feeling there'll be plenty of chopping and changing, early on to find the right balance and later to keep players from getting overworked in a season without the test break. Don't forget Thomson and Tui will be coming off of the Japanese season which I think finishes in February, so they won't have had an off season.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I get the feeling Tui will be pushing for selection in the 23 sooner rather than later. Although I have only seen little of him, his strong ball carries and physicality present a play style some of the other back rowers lack.

I think the season will start with Gill, Thomson, Shatz and Browning all in the 23 but may evolve into

6. Thomson
7. Gill
8. Browning
Bench:Tui

To me, Browning and Tui look to have more versatility and upside than some of the other guys. At this stage i'll say Gill and Thomson are definite starters when fit, yet again may change with form.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Reckon that at Ballymore and by the powers that be, Shatz will be considered substantially higher than Browning.

Quirk, when fit, will be "the biggest loser" now that "Aussie Adam" is signed

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I think Beau is quite unlucky pecking order wise, he seems to always be the first to be given the cut despite being one of the most consistently solid performers when given a chance.

I also think the Tui excitement is a bit pre-emptive - he has only played in Japan correct?? Not the most impressive CV filler. I tend to think there is a reason why a NZ'er has no Soup rugby caps - and being a barnstorming 8/6 in Japan isn't a great litmus test either. That being said I do hope he turns out to be a human wrecking ball.

My guess is as per TWAS, Quirk to ride the pine in the event of Injury, Tui to maybe seem some bench action in the first half of season. Can Thomson play lock??? that would make use of the surplus backrowers we have (in terms of injury cover).

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
we could make up one of those silly "teams" selected to meet some criterion and posted to rugby web sites.
the "wrong names" team start with:

Adam Thompson
Steve Holies
Elton Flately
Tevita Kurindrani
his cousin Tevita Kurindriani
Israel Fulou
his cousin Israel Falou
Lindonner

who else is there?
Scrubber would have to be coach

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Reckon that at Ballymore and by the powers that be, Shatz will be considered substantially higher than Browning.

Quirk, when fit, will be "the biggest loser" now that "Aussie Adam" is signed

Nah. It's gotta be Thommo, surely.

No worries about having to remember if Thommo is spelt with or without a letter "p".

Status
Not open for further replies.