• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bobby Sands

If Simmons is injured at all during the season then if say it is very likely Hunt will be on field captain as Slipper won't be playing 80 minutes.

Not that I know much about Simmons ability as captain in any case.

Seems to me that the most natural leader in the group is Gill surprised he didn't get a VC.

Agree, and I have always said that he would be captain of QLD. However he probably had his worst year of Super rugby last year, yet his NRC was excellent.

I think with a massive pre-season, that he wouldn't have got otherwise he will be raring this season. He is still the Wallaby long-term seven in my book. Just a natural footy player.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
A few years ago I would have agreed with you in respect of Liam being a long term Wallaby 7. That has changed big time.

The rise and rise of Hooper (about the same age), who has played extremely well overall and the resurection of Pocock places Liam at best as third in national contention. I still think Pocock (if he returns to blistering form in Super Rugby) will take the 7 spot for RWC. We rarely go with a spare 7 on the bench so Michael's Wallaby career as a starter may falter for a couple of years.

IMO Liam is unlikely to be in the RWC squad. The lad will not hang around forever waiting for the higher opportunity.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Geez Scrubber, Liam's what 22 years old. You already sending him packing?

No of course not but my point is that Hooper is also 22 and has the front running on Liam by a mile. Pocock is only about 26 or 27.

I HOPE Gilly stays around for the Reds but ultimately it will be HIS decision at some time in the future

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
They had Woody on MMM this morning. He was saying they have made a lot of changes in the club in the last 6 months aimed at fixing the issues from 2014.

Cannot wait to see the boys take on the season, from what Woody was saying they'll be different from last year.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
A lot of people on this forum thought Graham was the issue last season. If the Reds don't gel and compete at the top of the ladder, maybe the coaching will need to be fixed. Time will tell, and not much longer to go.

Reactions: gel

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
I think Gill could have performed just as well as Hooper in Gold this year. Ultimately, it's all about what the coach decides. Rep footy is littered with the broken dreams of very good players who didn't quite make the impact they deserved - Whittaker, Waugh, the Reds 7 who played for Brothers... Still think Gill can make his mark if given a chance. There's a whole Super Rugby season to prove himself to Cheiks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't know about that, Hooper was the Wallabies best player (with 2 others). But he has an important role in the RWC and TRC since Hooper will need a break.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Liam is a clear #2 for mine. Still can't believe Hodgson went on the Spring Tour ahead of him. Pocock is no where until he actually plays again.

Querty you are entitled to your opinion, as we all are.

The important ones are the selectors who clearly disagree.

I would THINK most rugby people hold Pocock as sitting at the right side of the Big Fella in heaven. Personally I don't think he is that good.

I was being generous putting Liam at third on form

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
They had Woody on MMM this morning. He was saying they have made a lot of changes in the club in the last 6 months aimed at fixing the issues from 2014.

Cannot wait to see the boys take on the season, from what Woody was saying they'll be different from last year.

I wonder if we will be privy to those reasons?

One was fixed very publicly. They have also signed some excellent players. The on field performances of some, just some were not as good as they should have been.

The strengthening of the team culture may be what he was referring to. That's the indlefineable thing. Players giving their absolute all for their mates.

All supposition, only RG knows the ins and outs

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
I wonder if we will be privy to those reasons?

One was fixed very publicly. They have also signed some excellent players. The on field performances of some, just some were not as good as they should have been.

The strengthening of the team culture may be what he was referring to. That's the indlefineable thing. Players giving their absolute all for their mates.

All supposition, only RG knows the ins and outs
Hopefully they get lucky with injuries too cause they had a massive impact on last years as well

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Hopefully Simmons appointment as VC will see him get a few of the silly penalties out of his game.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)

We'll see soon enough. He was sprouting the same words prior to his second season at the Force (remarkably similar issues) and it turned out to be just words back then.

There are absolutely no excuses now, given the squad he has been gifted.

T

TOCC

Surely you have to give some credit to RG for the squad he has assembled, mid last year when everyone was leaving he was copping a lot of criticism for his squad management, now that the squad looks good(albeit minus 1 THP and a number 8) he doesn't receive any credit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
What silly penalties? I've seen very few in the last 2years
The regular penalties for taking the man in the air at the lineout. The reputation he's been developing means he can't get away with much and he could really use a decent clean period to clear it.

He's also starting to get pinged for shoulder charges on his grass cutter tackles, but they probably need to come out of his game for the concussion risk more than anything.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Sure, the reds as an organisation has assembled a very decent team and as part of that recruiting organisation RG is due some credit as well. I also think he does the media thing pretty well.

His head coaching is another matter altogether and just don't think he would have the players trust and therefore he hasn't/won't get the most out of the team that has been assembled.

I hope I am wrong, but his historical record indicates that I won't be.

(I am also not going to get into internet argy bargy about my flippant use of the word "gifted").

Status
Not open for further replies.