• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Yes I agree RG's coaching ability is yet to be proven and ultimately 2015 is the crux for his coaching career.. I'm not willing to argue the semantics of "gifted" either, I just think RG deserves a fair bit of credit for the roster he has assembled.

It's his second year in the role at the Reds, I'm happy to reserve judgement and criticism until this season starts to play out. If it's repeat of 2014, then bon voyage RG..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B

Bobby Sands

If there was ever a seven to play dual opensides with late in a match it would be Pocock. I think he could even covert into a short six or eight late in his career ala the GOAT.

Hooper in my opinion has benefited from an international trend in sevens not to be Jackals, and the fact that he has an excellent running game had worked with this trend significantly.

However as a complete rugby player, I still think Liam is the better player, and will prove that over his career.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
If there was ever a seven to play dual opensides with late in a match it would be Pocock. I think he could even covert into a short six or eight late in his career ala the GOAT.

Hooper in my opinion has benefited from an international trend in sevens not to be Jackals, and the fact that he has an excellent running game had worked with this trend significantly.

However as a complete rugby player, I still think Liam is the better player, and will prove that over his career.

I hope you are correct - - but there always another young gun coming thru the ranks. I think to be a truly great player you need to be at the top for a long time and the earlier you start the easier it is to achieve that kind of legendary status.

We can have discussion again in 8 - 10 years

T

TOCC

Gill is the best fetcher in Australia in my opinion, not just at steals but critically protecting his teams own ball.

Unfortunately for Gill he is playing in Australia at a time where the Wallabies need a ball running 7 more then they need a pilfering 7..

B

Bobby Sands

Gill is the best fetcher in Australia in my opinion, not just at steals but critically protecting his teams own ball.

Unfortunately for Gill he is playing in Australia at a time where the Wallabies need a ball running 7 more then they need a pilfering 7..

Class doesn't rely on circumstances however, and he will prove his worth. You are very right however, he is very good on defensive breakdowns. He is also awesome close to the ruck, with his pick&go's.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Gillys ability or value at the Reds has never been questioned although his 2014 performance was, for whatever reason not his best.

I suspect he will be incredibly motivated to make the RWC squad. To do that he has to play convincingly better than Hooper and IMO , Pocock. he has a huge job to do that and will be a huge benefit to the Reds if so.

Generally if a franchise goes very well in Super 15 then more of their players achieve representative honours.

I think the Reds players already pencilled in are
Slipper
Simmons
Quade

Horwill, Genia, Saia, JOC (James O'Connor) and Gill will all have to have fantastic seasons.

While a big call and it's early days I think a real smokey is Hunt

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Yeah. If one thing in rugby is truly self-evident it's that when teams go well, individuals get rewarded. The Reds at the fringe of the Wallaby squad will know this, which will hopefully add a nice layer of fire on top of the normal motivation they have to win for QLD

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
It will be interesting to see if RG can sort out the Reds structures in attack and defence.

They were too reliant Cooper's cut out passes with a total lack of the other backs providing any deception, and then we have the back defence which was terrible.

Again it looks to me like the standard Aus rugby disease of lack of effort off the ball. But for the Reds, getting them to consistently do that work is now down to RG. Link had them working, but RG hasn't so far

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
It will be interesting to see if RG can sort out the Reds structures in attack and defence.

They were too reliant Cooper's cut out passes with a total lack of the other backs providing any deception, and then we have the back defence which was terrible.

Again it looks to me like the standard Aus rugby disease of lack of effort off the ball. But for the Reds, getting them to consistently do that work is now down to RG. Link had them working, but RG hasn't so far

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Agree on the QC (Quade Cooper) matter.

There seems to be a new enthusiasm at Ballymore.

Whether its a new captain and Vices, whether its the new signings, whether its a rebuilding of the "culture", whether the coaches second year, or probably a combination of all

The real whether test is whether all that can be exhibited on the rugby paddock and wins ensue.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Yeah - the lack of effort in defence last year was appalling at times. Ant Fainga'a always seems to get left out of people's sides at this time of year - but i think we suffered due to his season being hampered by injury. I'm sure he would be a coach's favourite in terms of the impact he has on keeping high standards on the field. I think Hunt will be really strong for the Reds here too - he has very high standards and is an excellent communicator.
While I see alot of appeal in a centre combination of Tapuai & Kerevi, I wouldn't be surprised if Ant is again a prominent selection - we always seem better with him on the field.

In attack, the Reds really miss the impact of Ioane coming off his wing looking for work and attracting the defence. O'Conner is a different player but I think he will still be very effective in creating variety in our attack. Both he and CFS are strong options working off Coopers inside shoulder.

How well/quickly the backline gels will be the question.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Gillys ability or value at the Reds has never been questioned although his 2014 performance was, for whatever reason not his best.
I thought Gill was actually outstanding in the early parts of last year until injury intervened - but I thought he was badly let down by the other forwards. There were times when he was playing a lone hand at the break down and other teams were able to double team him. I also noticed he seemed to be regularly getting played off the ball and held down after the breakdown. He was an easy target last year due to the lack of support.

If he stays fit, I am confident he'll have another outstanding season - so long as he doesn't have to do it alone.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I really think this years team is better than that of 2011 - well at least potentially.

Whether than transfers to the park remains to be seen.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think Fainga'a is probably still a pretty good defensive organiser but he started missing tackles last year. For a player whose career has always been based around his superb defence it was the start of the slide as far as his overall play is concerned.

Whether he can improve in 2015 is currently unknown but I think the Reds need to find a bit more attacking punch in the midfield and should be able to achieve that whilst still maintaining a solid defence without Fainga'a in the starting team.

Hopefully a full preseason for Kerevi will fix a lot of his defensive issues.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Agree on the QC (Quade Cooper) matter.

There seems to be a new enthusiasm at Ballymore.

Whether its a new captain and Vices, whether its the new signings, whether its a rebuilding of the "culture", whether the coaches second year, or probably a combination of all

The real whether test is whether all that can be exhibited on the rugby paddock and wins ensue.

Enthusiasm in Dec/Jan sounds too much like the "old" Tahs record

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I think Fainga'a is probably still a pretty good defensive organiser but he started missing tackles last year. For a player whose career has always been based around his superb defence it was the start of the slide as far as his overall play is concerned.

Whether he can improve in 2015 is currently unknown but I think the Reds need to find a bit more attacking punch in the midfield and should be able to achieve that whilst still maintaining a solid defence without Fainga'a in the starting team.

Hopefully a full preseason for Kerevi will fix a lot of his defensive issues.
You know he played most of the season with a bad shoulder don't you?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
You know he played most of the season with a bad shoulder don't you?

Yes I do. It doesn't really change what happened though. Having to pick him is perhaps as much about the lack of other healthy options that he was the one that had to play through injury but it still ends up with the same mediocre result.

Hopefully for him that means he'll be much better in 2015.

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)

Agree here - to find the spaces, QC (Quade Cooper) needs runners, and for spaces to appear, the forwards need to create some momentum. I'm most excited about Thomson's impact on the side. Comparing the Reds since 2011 when Higgers, Samo and Robbo were providing high workrate and go forward, the new side seems much more balanced now than since that final.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)

I appreciate this is neither the time nor the place to argue this point, but just because you write something doesn't make it a fact. I think that comment is one of the most gross misconceptions that people on this board throw around. It's merely your opinion. Whilst I appreciate the game may have changed a bit over the last few years, I'm not so sure the Wallabies wouldn't benefit more from a traditional 7 like Pocock. Wallabies defence has gone to shit ever since Pocock left.

We might find out this year whether your comment is a fact or not.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Agree here - to find the spaces, QC (Quade Cooper) needs runners, and for spaces to appear, the forwards need to create some momentum. I'm most excited about Thomson's impact on the side. Comparing the Reds since 2011 when Higgers, Samo and Robbo were providing high workrate and go forward, the new side seems much more balanced now than since that final.

I still think they lack the "Samo", the 2011 reds were very effective at getting the ball away from contact through fast transitions, they have lost that since and gone back to pick and drives, but without that "Samo" Genia has been slowly directing traffic until Cooper calls for the ball.
They have a hard working pack but it lacked the ability to get go forward from static ball, it will be interesting to see how RG plans to solve the problem

Status
Not open for further replies.