• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
For me a pass is being a chance of making the finals in the last round.

This gives all fans hope of a title but is also realistic given you cant be the best team every year.

If in the last round we are a chance I will be happy.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Winning more games than you lose seems like a reasonable target after coming off a season being 5 and 11.

That would put you right in the hunt for a finals berth (depending on bonus points) and is a significant improvement on 2014.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
pass is difficult to gauge. getting the best out of what you've got seems to be a pass, great cattle and under performing (e.g. Tahs for many years) is a fail, doing well with little, is definite pass (? Force last year).
so with the talent available you would assume that a top 6 is the bare minimum for the reds ?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
pass is difficult to gauge. getting the best out of what you've got seems to be a pass, great cattle and under performing (e.g. Tahs for many years) is a fail, doing well with little, is definite pass (? Force last year).
so with the talent available you would assume that a top 6 is the bare minimum for the reds ?

Surely getting the best out of your squad is the crux of the challenge. If it was easy, the best team on paper would win just about every year.

The Reds have a really strong squad in 2015 but they've also got some early season injury woes and given that a bunch of their players are new to the squad or relatively inexperienced, getting them to gel and perform to their potential is no small order.

Covering for Cooper in the first couple of months will be a huge challenge. Despite a quality squad across the park, strength and depth in certain positions counts for a huge amount.

One of the major reasons the Tahs underperformed over many years is that despite a side chock full of Wallabies, they were very weak in the 10 position and often weak at 9 as well.

I think the three biggest challenges for the Reds this year are:

1) defence in the backline. There's lots of attacking flair, but in particular Kerevi and Kuridrani (and Taulagi if he gets plenty of game time) could be found out in defence. How well they do and how much the experienced players can support them will be crucial to their chances.

2) breakdown work and physicality in the forwards. Last year the Reds were excellent at set piece but generally got beaten in general play in the forwards. They need more punch from their ball runners and need to boss the breakdown more. The availability of Gill, getting more punch from Browning or Thomson at 6 over Quirk should go a long way towards that. It also looks like Horwill is in better form which is important. He lacked that grunt last year.

3) Hunt at 10 in the early rounds. He's steady and will surely grow into the position but can he do enough to get the backline humming? Super Rugby is a tough competition and there are few easy games. How he fares in round 1 against To'omua and the Brumbies could give reasonable insight into how tough life will be without Quade.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Bugger the flowery "development" objectives, Professional Rugby Competitions are all about winning, and where you are on the competition table.

A Pass mark must be 3rd in the Australian Conference after regular season, using the criteria that a pass is only 50% grade.

A Credit would be making the 2015 finals series.

A Distinction would be topping the 2015 Australian Conference, with the High Distinction winning the 2015 Super Rugby title.

IMHO, this squad has the potential to achieve a Distinction, although the extended time in Team Rehab for QC (Quade Cooper) could adversely impact on achieving that target.

If I lived North of the Tweed, I would be very excited about the prospects for Team Red this year. Apart from the obvious vulnerability at #10, and great if KHunt steps up and executes the replacement #10 role impeccably but doing so leaves a gap in the outside backs where KHunt would otherwise be playing.

As long as Team Rehab Selectors are kind this year, it should be a good season for the Reds, and there should be some real ginger in the Reds vs Tahs, and Reds vs Ponies derbies. Force and Rebels will also be pretty tough gigs.

Early Key Indicators of performance will be the accumulation of Bonus points, while denying opponents BP for <7 point loss, and/or 4 tries.

No QC (Quade Cooper) for the early rounds is no excuse for non delivery.

Any failure to deliver results should be laid at the feet of the Head Coach. #NoExcuses2015.

T

TOCC

The definition of what is a successful season is largely subjective, for a sporting team to be successful in the Australian marketplace they need to be both competitive and entertaining, if the Reds achieve both of those then that is the definition of a successful season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
The definition of what is a successful season is largely subjective, for a sporting team to be successful in the Australian marketplace they need to be both competitive and entertaining, if the Reds achieve both of those then that is the definition of a successful season.

TOCC what do you mean "subjective" - from what point of view, supporters, players, administrators

I really think the test is an objective one, The reality is how competitive the team is in comparison to others.

For most its about winning !!!! - otherwise we should just have a participation series where there are no winners but every team gets the same ribbon.

T

TOCC

TOCC what do you mean "subjective" - from what point of view, supporters, players, administrators

I really think the test is an objective one, The reality is how competitive the team is in comparison to others.

For most its about winning !!!! - otherwise we should just have a participation series where there are no winners but every team gets the same ribbon.

A team could lose 6 close games in the season and be competitive and highly entertaining, or they could be absolutely flogged 6 games in the season and leave fans dissatisfied. Objectively they have achieved the same end result, but subjectively fans will have different views and eagerness to buy a membership for the next season.

B

Bobby Sands

I think we may look back on the Brisbane City NRC campaign in a few years and think, "wow, what a team."

Players like Paraka, Talakai, Faagese, Kurindrani, Browning, Ready, Kerevi, Gunn, Kotze, McDuling all put their hands up in a big way.

The added exposure / experience / combinations whatever you want to call it has already added so much to the development of these players.

Hopefully we see a little of this straight up against the Ponies and beyond.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I think we may look back on the Brisbane City NRC campaign in a few years and think, "wow, what a team."

Players like Paraka, Talakai, Faagese, Kurindrani, Browning, Ready, Kerevi, Gunn, Kotze, McDuling all put their hands up in a big way.

The added exposure / experience / combinations whatever you want to call it has already added so much to the development of these players.

Hopefully we see a little of this straight up against the Ponies and beyond.

and they won, didn't they

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Another pass achievement for me would be a bonus point for every home game and a bonus every second away game.

A win and a loss in SA and NZ would also be good too.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Winning more games than you lose seems like a reasonable target after coming off a season being 5 and 11.

That would put you right in the hunt for a finals berth (depending on bonus points) and is a significant improvement on 2014.

I agree with your assessment BH, and I'd go further to say that the reason this didn't happen last season was the woeful defence shown by the Reds in the final 10 - 15 minutes close out stage of a game, when the Reds were often ahead.
That to me is poor coaching. If that is addressed this season, the Reds should be successful, and RG also.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
You guys have some issue with Joy, if Hunt is 5/8 the JOC (James O'Connor) is your best fullback by a country mile.. But the only reason he wouldn't be 5/8 in the starting week is he hasny run the team... If he's good enough to play 10 for the wobs he can do a job for the Reds

Sent from my D6503 using Forum Fiend v1.3.1.

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
Winning all home games and returning Suncorp to a bit of a fortress would be great.
That really needs to be the primary goal. The Reds iirc have had the highest home crowds in the comp for a few years now, and its critical that continues for the QRU to be financially successful. Suncorp's a great venue and crowds love winners, and a great home game experience. If that success doesn't come, those crowds will dry up quickly, particularly if the Broncos do well.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
That really needs to be the primary goal. The Reds iirc have had the highest home crowds in the comp for a few years now, and its critical that continues for the QRU to be financially successful. Suncorp's a great venue and crowds love winners, and a great home game experience. If that success doesn't come, those crowds will dry up quickly, particularly if the Broncos do well.

Agree with that but to win the comp you need to be able to win on the road

Status
Not open for further replies.