• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
What Ruggo said.
2011 was built on hitting targets and crushing hoodoo's all through the season. Baby steps and mini milestones.

First goal. Win in Canberra.

That's it. The boys shouldn't be looking any further than that.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
Hahaha I love the bs hoodoo's that the media talk about and it's great reading the humour about it on the forum.

My personal favourite is the ridiculous cricket trivia on 9's coverage

"Who was the Chef's wife on the cruise that Australia went on in the 2nd week of their tour of the Carribbean in 1975"

I'm sure all the people involved in professional sporting organisations care little for hoodoo's..

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
But there are milestones that you can target for your team. They can be very powerful if used correctly in establishing confidence in the group. Sure they are meaningless in isolation but checking things off a list as a season progresses is a good way to build the groups belief. Reds 2011 were a great example particularly in a Super Rugby context - getting to a final where it's often said 'you've got to lose one to win one' after you've already overcome numerous historical idiosyncrasies can be useful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Hahaha I love the bs hoodoo's that the media talk about and it's great reading the humour about it on the forum.

My personal favourite is the ridiculous cricket trivia on 9's coverage

"Who was the Chef's wife on the cruise that Australia went on in the 2nd week of their tour of the Carribbean in 1975"

I'm sure all the people involved in professional sporting organisations care little for hoodoo's..

For starters your example is just shitty trivia and nothing to do with 'hoodoo's'.

But in any case, they are hardly bs and I'm certain that professional sportsmen think about them a lot. The AB's would certainly get a lift when they play the Wallabies at Eden Park because they haven't been beaten by them there in 25 years or however long it's been. And I'm equally certain that the Wallabies players are fully aware of how long it's been since they've won there?
It's a psychological hurdle and pro sportsmen (and women) are some of the most superstitious folk around.

But I digress. The Reds 2011 season was built around Link telling the lads that so and so said that they can't do <insert goal here>. The boys lapped that shit up and went out to prove the nay sayers wrong. Just watch Kev's victory speech.

Baby steps. Keep the next goal right in front of them and tell them whatever they need to get them up for it.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
How long before calls again start for Graham's head. Nothing seems to have changed from last year. Against the Rebels they were well beaten and the defence caught narrow again. The Crusaders game gave cause for hope as they produced an aggressive line speed in defence. So what happened against the Brumbies? No line speed, narrow defence and discipline was non existent. Horwill in particular was woeful in this regard. Let's add to that the experiment with Hunt at 10 was nothing but a predictable failure. They could have played Gill at 10 on attack and not just defence and he could have shovelled the ball along just as ably. This could be a long season for my Reds friends.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Very soon, hopefully.

Yes, same old issues. Passive, short defensive lines. Ruck work horrible and infringing. No backline cohesion, no deception, no moves, nothing but shit shovelled out from way too much depth. Forwards too deep and pods offer no protection at the ruck.

Very worried about Hunt, especially when the kicks for goal seemed to be his call over Slipper and he yelled at the team when they were penalised after his poor pass to Kerevi/CFS(?).

There are a few positives, Kerevi and Kuridrani look good despite everything else.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
positives IMO

Structurally our attack phase play was pretty good and
our maul defence was handy

Gilly wasn't half bad.
Genia looked similar to 2011.
Samu Kerevi, Kurindrani, Browning, Kotze and Slipper were good.

Talakai will get there and Chris F-Sautia is a talent but was useless.

negatives IMO

Horwill. Literally less than useless. He was so bad.
Didn't notice Schatz.

Our reset in defence was extremely slow and left us out numbered on multiple occasions.

Way way way too many penalties.

Hunt was too deep and that comes from his league background at fullback. It will serve him well at 15.

At least there is only one way

Jimbo81

Frank Row (1)
I watched Moore come on to see if he's any good returning from injury.

What I saw at 54 min, 15 sec shocked me. I recall Moore getting away with a cheap shot punch last year in Brisbane, but tonight's 'coward punch' was so utterly dangerous that it has no place in the game. This has got to be reviewed and Moore must cop a suspension - otherwise rugby will become anything goes, and there will be serious injuries or fatalities.

Shame Moore shame!

MrTabua

Larry Dwyer (12)
Was weird from Moore, who has a rep for being pro Red.

I missed the action but Fox was rewinded during the game by a friend to show what happened.

Still completely miffed by it. Moore ain't a dirty player in my opinion.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
How long before calls again start for Graham's head. Nothing seems to have changed from last year. Against the Rebels they were well beaten and the defence caught narrow again. The Crusaders game gave cause for hope as they produced an aggressive line speed in defence. So what happened against the Brumbies? No line speed, narrow defence and discipline was non existent. Horwill in particular was woeful in this regard. Let's add to that the experiment with Hunt at 10 was nothing but a predictable failure. They could have played Gill at 10 on attack and not just defence and he could have shovelled the ball along just as ably. This could be a long season for my Reds friends.

Some of us have been calling for RG's sacking since 2012.

There is/was-in-2012 zero evidence of any objective kind that Graham is a competent elite rugby coach, or competent team designer, or competent developer of players, or competent builder of sound rugby team cultures.

His distinguishing attribute is an ability to impress the boards of Australian rugby institutions, often for remarkably long periods of time. This has nothing to do with proven ability and competence though.

One new mystery associated with him is why anybody, after seeing his appallingly poor work when in full charge of the Reds in 2014, would surmise that the Reds 2015 would emerge as a vastly improved side, just as a result of 'impressive' new recruits. An impressive player roster never in and of itself makes a successful elite sporting team; genuine coaching excellence in depth is always required to convert aggregate capability into championship victories.

MrTabua

Larry Dwyer (12)

There is/was-in-2012 zero evidence of any objective kind that Graham is a competent elite rugby coach, or competent team designer, or competent developer of players, or competent builder of sound rugby team cultures.

His distinguishing attribute is an ability to impress the boards of Australian rugby institutions, often for remarkably long periods of time. This has nothing to do with proven ability and competence though.

One new mystery associated with him is why anybody, after seeing his appallingly poor work when in full charge of the Reds in 2014, would surmise that the Reds 2015 would emerge as a vastly improved side, just as a result of 'impressive' new recruits. An impressive player roster never in and of itself makes a successful elite sporting team; genuine coaching excellence in depth is always required to convert aggregate capability into championship victories.
Given that we won in Canberra last year...

And followed that great victory with a lacklustre season I'd postpone the calls for RG's sacking in 2015.

A week ago everyone who followed the trials thought Nick Stiles was the man for the Qld forwards.

He most probably is.

Not his fault the Reds lost by 44 odd.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
The obvious defence is that we weren't playing our first choice 3, 5, 6, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15 last night.

7 debutants last night

Its a hell of a list of players to be missing. But if the performance and attitude continues then RG has to be gone after the Australian leg

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I can't see the point in even bothering to suggest that he be "given time", or "let's just wait and see" just the same as there is no point in promoting the agricultural benefits to having a couple of fairies in the garden.

There is more than enough evidence to support the idea that he has been elevated well above the level of his capabilities.

There is zero evidence to the contrary.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)

The other way to look at it,is the only way is up!
Your full strength team is much stronger than the one fielded last night.
But it doesn't really matter who is playing,when they have the shitty passive defence.
You just can't give up the ad line that easily.
You have to put the attacking team under pressure IMO.

I feel for the Reds fans,it's soul destroying the watch,when you think the coach is sabotaging the team with his tactics/philosophies.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)

Is this some pathetic kind of self indulgence or something? I respect your right to your opinion as much as anyone else but you only pop up on these pages when it is time to drive a knife in somebodies back (normally Richard Graham). Do you ever have anything positive to say, yet you call yourself "Redshappy"? Bloody hell, it's round one and the knives are already out.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The obvious defence is that we weren't playing our first choice 3, 5, 6, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15 last night.

7 debutants last night

Its a hell of a list of players to be missing. But if the performance and attitude continues then RG has to be gone after the Australian leg

True, but I would be more concerned about the attitude and lack of an approach/style

There appeared to be no plan or no commitment to the plan - either to me is the concern

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)

Any Tahs fan with the least grasp on history will agree with this statement. It is amusing in this context though because on the game thread some were lamenting RG's poor recruitment this year. Of all the faults apparent in the Reds, poor recruitment isn't one, excepting it could be argued he has chased the big name talent signings that were the hallmark of Robbie Deans. However when you look purely on base skill sets and positional coverage in the squad the Reds on paper have far better coverage than say the Tahs who I have said since Douglas signed OS last year look very thin at lock.

However as you say the big name signings don't change the fundamentals of needing a cohesive complete coaching regime to enable that talent to be displayed, just like the Tahs over so many years.

Status
Not open for further replies.