• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
The grave next risk I see is that the QRU board will spiral into a long-delayed panic reaction over RG, sack him, and rush without a rigorous, considered search process into a knee-jerk reaction to, for example, promote the unproven 'insider' Stiles and we'll have the same or similar problem all over again.
I've heard fourth hand that the players are struggling with RG. If that's true, they need to cut him loose - any change that re-engages the players will be an improvement. Doesn't matter how good you are as a coach, if you've lost the players you need to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I've heard fourth hand that the players are struggling with RG. If that's true, they need to cut him loose - any change that re-engages the players will be an improvement. Doesn't matter how good you are as a coach, if you've lost the players you need to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Indeed, I've heard that first and second hand.

I'd be fine with a genuinely temporary solution like Stiles to see the season out, but the QRU MUST adopt a patient, rigorous, independent, international search process to find and assess the best candidate to commence in 2016 or late 2015. They should use independent advisers and categorically NOT rely solely on the proven-as-introverted and 'we love our old rugby mates' current board.

The RG debacle has been seriously damaging; given the state of Aus rugby overall, a second failure would likely be catastrophic.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
They must go international in the search for a replacement. Stiles would go ok as a short term replacement but would like to wait and see what happens after he took the reigns before deciding on a long term option. Set piece aside the forwards haven't been good.

SamoanNo8

Fred Wood (13)
In my opinion I don't think Chris FS is having much of an impact. If RG wants him to act as a ball running bulldozer 13, then he's certainly not doing his job. Almost still has the attitude of when he was playing schoolboy rugby, that he'll be able to dominate easily. Probably needs to go back to QPR for a while and find some form.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Anyone catch the presser?

Facebook page said it was up on the Reds Rugby home page, but I missed it. The photo showed a nearly empty room with barely any journos and just RG and a player (Slipper?).

Depressing.

So the burning question is: which performance was worse? Round 1, or tonight's?

And by how much with the Brumbies flog us by next week?
The presser wasn't any busier or quieter than any other I've been to.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
In my opinion I don't think Chris FS is having much of an impact. If RG wants him to act as a ball running bulldozer 13, then he's certainly not doing his job. Almost still has the attitude of when he was playing schoolboy rugby, that he'll be able to dominate easily. Probably needs to go back to QPR for a while and find some form.

Good, justified observation S8. CFS has at best stayed static as a player, and it's arguable that he's degraded. But how many Reds players have we seen really develop in terms of skills and general playing capability since 2012? This has been one of my core concerns re the post-2011 Reds establishment.
Slipper has. Who else, serious question. Just maybe Simmons? Gill?

It's typically a mark of a team that's clearly improving as a team that there are a core of players whose skills, accuracy, intensity of play etc are individually improving.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I think it is a QLD mindset to only employ locally even though proven success comes when you pick the best candidate no matter where they are from.

QLD had its best recent success with an outside coach and I seem to recall someone from AFL getting a pretty high position (CEO??).

I think we need to start from scratch and build from the ground up before all our decent players leave.

Although Link was from outside Qld - so the QRU don't have to go back too far to find a precedent.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Of those listed only 12 totals games were missed in 2014. Quirk accounted for 6 of those games. Hunt is a repeated illicit drug user whom RG saw fit to appoint VC.

This has nothing to do with injuries. The man cannot coach. The injuries are just an externalisation of fault and why his teams never improve.

Look at the difference between Cheika and Graham. For two years RG has blamed everything possible, never internalising responsibility.

Tahs lost to Force, Chek straight away said HE got it wrong. That's not grandstanding for the players, that's taking responsibility so you can get better.

I still find it unbelieveable that the professional rugby coach of a full-time professional rugby team can go into a season without an experienced back up in a key position. At least some of the problems currently besetting the Reds come from this basic mistake. The nature of professional rugby means that every side has to cope with injuries and while they are always going to have an impact, the idea that any team can go into the start of the season with only one competent option at 10 is mind-blowing.

And just as the Waratahs train wreck of 2011 played its part in derailing RWC 2011, the Reds current predicament is bad for Australian rugby, particularly in a RWC year.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
I said it at the time and I'll repeat. Losing Harris AND Lucas was a mistake (with Harris probably having been better given the current predicament).

My understanding is they were never really a shot of retaining Mike but Lucas really wanted to stay.

Without knowing the salary cap restrictions (though I suspect we could have made it work), RG well and truly backed the wrong horse.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I still find it unbelieveable that the professional rugby coach of a full-time professional rugby team can go into a season without an experienced back up in a key position. At least some of the problems currently besetting the Reds come from this basic mistake. The nature of professional rugby means that every side has to cope with injuries and while they are always going to have an impact, the idea that any team can go into the start of the season with only one competent option at 10 is mind-blowing.

And just as the Waratahs train wreck of 2011 played its part in derailing RWC 2011, the Reds current predicament is bad for Australian rugby, particularly in a RWC year.

QH - recall that after the disastrous Reds 2014 season, the Carmichael-Graham duo soon turned to the 'explanation' that this was largely due to 'we didn't refresh the squad adequately after the 2011 win'. The next phase was the mini-program to recruit new players allegedly to execute the team refresh that 'should have been done a bit earlier'.

That is, coaching was 'not the problem', the decline since 2012 was always the fault of player staleness or decline.

So, these new players were recruited, often at high cost. But the cost of the new 'stars' plus the many that were jettisoned clearly unbalanced the potential to build a complete and proper back squad to cover all key positions.

The root of the whole situation is the wishful, but reckless, delusion that the coaches bore no real responsibility for the 2014 season outcome. So, the 'big squad upgrade with so much new talent' carried the burden of proof that 2015 would be the essential turnaround. It was a an assumption of unbalanced folly, and a poor reflection on the governance maturity and objectivity of the QRU board.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I said it at the time and I'll repeat. Losing Harris AND Lucas was a mistake (with Harris probably having been better given the current predicament).

My understanding is they were never really a shot of retaining Mike but Lucas really wanted to stay.

Without knowing the salary cap restrictions (though I suspect we could have made it work), RG well and truly backed the wrong horse.

In fact, the field seems to have jumped before he even got to the tote window.

Status
Not open for further replies.