• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
There's going to be fundamental problems with the back line when the 10 stands so deep and then runs sideways when he gets the ball. Too many times he was then just shovelling on to the next guy

Its tough to criticise Frisby being 3rd or 4th choice in the position but doesn't change the fact that he was killing the rest of the back line movement

Floggn'

Jimmy Flynn (14)
You can't blame Frisby period. He is a number 9 picked by a coach with no clue, who then says he did well. I really like Frisby but as a 10 on Saturday night he was terrible. A 10 controls the backline he didn't go close to that. CFS is the laziest player to pull on a Reds jersey and if you are lazy at 21 you aren't getting any better later in life. JOC (James O'Connor) has to come into 10 otherwise we are going to get pants by the Brums.
Also I bet Mike Harris is laughing uncontrollably at the outcome of he not being really needed this year. Another great call RG you muppet.

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
I disagree.
If those around him aren't running lines around him,it is up to him to demand they do.
But I don't blame inside runners not volunteering when the 10 is deep.
It's a kamikaze mission,the drifting defenders love bashing the inside runner when the 10 is not flat.
It's one for their highlights reel.
But every 10 for the Reds has done the same thing. If the coach isn't happy he needs to hook him and chuck someone in who can do the job. It all starts with moving forward though - if the Reds pigs can't get some front foot ball, it's a lost cause. The problem is that the pigs haven't got strong ball runners injured - Kev hasn't carried well for a while now and Simmons isn't a ball carrying lock. Pull Schatz, put Thomson to 8 and give Browning a crack at 6, and get some work rate out of the tight forwards and they might stand a chance. The team seems to have this static quality with the ball that's amateurish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

frenchman

Bob McCowan (2)
Where's Pettowa Paraka? He scored a load of tries in the NRC would love to see him charging around giving the backs some front foot ball

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
While I agree with your post, the decision is easily defended by the coach.

If QC (Quade Cooper) gets injured then you can choose a 10 that won a premiership in France, a wallaby 10 or the best player in the NRC (my opinion of Frisby) or a kid who has heaps of potential from NRL.

We have some viable options that the coaching team can use as a defense.

Only thing is, the past couple of weeks would indicate that the options aren't really viable.

Despite the efforts of RD, JOC (James O'Connor) was never a test match 10. In France he was devastating on the wing.

Having said that, I've not seen a 5/8 stand that deep for 30 years - from that I assume that JOC (James O'Connor) and Frisby were both following coaches instructions to do so.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Where's Pettowa Paraka? He scored a load of tries in the NRC would love to see him charging around giving the backs some front foot ball

Trouble with this bloke is that he looks good does very little real prop work

Having said that I'd probably give him a crack over Daley. The only thing that Ben had was his work around the paddock. That now seems to be equalling his set piece work

T

TOCC

I disagree, its not the 5/8's job to be the puppet master of the back-line... Yes he chooses who to pass to and yes there are set moves and he will have a intended target and in most circumstances an alternative. But he isn't there directing every player and telling them where to go, whilst the 5/8 is looking at the halfback waiting for the ball, good outside backs will be watching the opposition attempting to identify lapses in the opposition defensive pattern and will run an angle calling for the ball. Tevita Kuridrani is the best back in Australia at doing this.

Sure Frisby could have been more assertive, but CFS, Turner, A.Fainga'a and JOC (James O'Connor) are all capped Wallabies or have been around the team long enough to know when they need to lift their game and take some of the pressure off the 5/8.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Someone else having the knives out for Frisby after the weekend, its getting a bit old. Placing the lack of attacking cohesion on the shoulders of the bloke wearing 10 is a bit of a cop out don't you think?

CFS didn't run any good lines and FTA was his usual self in attack (one dimensional and boring). I daresay JOC (James O'Connor) was supposed to get involved at first receiver more often as well but that never happened. When he did slot in there weren't exactly sparks flying either.

Putting the blame on Frisby like the commentators did on the weekend won't solve anything. Clearly the game-plan has been modified due to not having our first choice flyhalf available and I doubt whomever gets to fill those boots will do much better unless there is a change in the attacking structure. Yes, Frisby didn't have a great game but I don't think anyone else would have done much more in that situation. He also setup some of our best attacking sequences with some good long passing.

Fair point. Frisby unfortunately takes the brunt of the critisism, like JOC (James O'Connor) did the week before that, and Hunt did in week 1. It comes with the territory. I agree the whole backline and the coaches are responsible for the limp attack. But the man in the 10 jersey does have the biggest say. Frisby did his best considering he's not a 10.

T

TOCC

in some positive news, Sef Fa'agase was out at his old club and gifted them his debut Reds jersey.
QUEENSLAND Reds player Sef Fa'agase gave the Beaudesert Warriors a dose of pre-season inspiration when he visited the club where he played junior football.
Reds front rower Fa'agase, who played for the Warriors from the under 13s to the under 16s, met with players and fans at Everdell Park on Friday night.
He presented the Warriors with his debut Reds jersey and thanked the club for giving him a good start in football.
Warriors seniors coach Dale Ledger said the visit was uplifting.
"After a week where rugby union and other football codes have taken a beating due to the actions of some of their perceived stars I have been privileged to be part of a moment that makes us realise why we spend so much time involved with sport," he said.
"In an unbelievable act of generosity and humility Sef presented the club with his debut Reds jersey.
http://www.beaudeserttimes.com.au/s...se-inspires-warriors-photos/?cs=2418#slide=10

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
That's just been all round odd. The 'attempted tackle' was weird and I still don't quite know what happened. Did he fall, trip, or was he intending to go that low and just ballsed it up?
The handling on field was fine for mine. I don't think it was deserving of a penalty except for the fact that it was pretty reckless. He certainly didn't look to be trying to do a no arms tackle or anything dangerous he just got whatever he was trying to do, all wrong. So penalty ok.
Then on review they deem it to be an incident that reached the red card threshold, so he goes to the hearing only for them to say nope, all good. Odd.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I thought he just slipped, in fact I thought plenty of players were slipping on the surface and it was getting pretty cut up.

Lang Park is a great stadium but seems to be a very average patch of grass at best.

Surely there has to be some intent to try to tackle, if he was just lying on the ground and an opponent tripped on him it is not a dangerous tackle, in this case he slipped and an accident occurred.

Any one know how Slippers neck is going?

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
I reckon he was trying to do a grass cut tackle like TPN is famous for, except he did it with no arms involved. That sort of tackle was pretty prevelant a few years ago when I was a junior, especially amongst the islander boys.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Around 27,000.

Ironically if felt like more at the ground.

Having been to every match in the same seat at Suncorp since they moved their, and having previous experience in the industry, the numbers often seem to be inflated. Last Saturday felt and looked like a 33-35k crowd. There were seats being used that haven't been used since the 2011 final.

Looked like 35k?? Are u sure??

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Read a article where it mentions the Reds Are hanging out for Coopers return. I'm sure they are, I certainly am. But there performance this season already shows signs of no improvement and there will a lot of presure on Cooper. And when there's that much preussure on him the silly bugger things happen. He really pushes things and try's to make things happen.
This team is just not clicking and there is only one person to blame. And it pushing me to drink more Rum to ease the pain.
Also I firmly believe that Genia and Cooper won't be at the Reds next season and there will be couple of more years on this frustration.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Fair point re Cooper and being put under pressure biggsy. I really hope the Reds aren't just waiting around for QC (Quade Cooper)'s return, that means they are seriously lacking the confidence to do anything without him and a team lacking confidence goes no where. Well the Reds are already going no where so I guess it won't change that much.

As for Genia and QC (Quade Cooper) being around next season. I definitely think Genia has already signed the dotted line overseas and wants to piss off, I don't really mind that.

QC (Quade Cooper) on the other hand, I think his latest injury would be leaving him with a dilemma. Does he realize that he's made of glass and wants to chase the coin before he fully breaks? Or is he left with an empty feeling of not being able to lead the Reds playing some good footy and decide to stay for a couple more years to repair his and the Reds reputation. Tough call. Personally I think he'll stick around.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Well, I'd say that the longer the Graham gets to drive the Reds into the ground the less likely that stars like Cooper will hang around. At this stage I'd be shocked if Cooper is there next year, and that's a tragedy for the Reds.

Amazing how much damage an incompetent head coach can do in a fairly short amount of time, and amazing how long the board of the club can insist on supporting that coach as he brings the team down.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
That is now my biggest worry. Players that aren't locked up for next year already may well jump ship as they will be fielding offers already and considering them in their current headspace which I'm sure is not good.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I gotta ask too Biggsy, does the rum help? As I recall back when I used to drink it, it rarely helped anything and only usually got me in trouble.
That being said though, I am open to considering anything to help get me through reds games now and rum may be the answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.