• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
In regards to forgiving CFS, I would forgive him and give him more chances if he had previously shown talent for a full game.

I think any player who gets to Super Rugby level will have an outstanding moment every now and again, this is a sure sign of talent but it is much easier to give a player another chance if he has had a whole good game rather than flashes of brilliance.

I have struggled to keep the faith since CFS was standing a metre outside the sideline to take a pass in a Wallabies game. There are many faults in many players games but how can you help a player who can not look at where the lines are marked on the ground. This was my turning point, he just played stupid football.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Nah he got engaged a while ago. Wedding this weekend.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-AK (Andrew Kellaway)-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/11072283_10153113985520731_8303249933402892100_n.png?oh=284b34cc52455c574ce78931013037e6&oe=55AD133A&__gda__=1434078533_8577af109fd91f0a937ea77a86580193

Congratulations to Big Kev and Lauren. Welcome to Club Wed.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Re injuries and the Reds 2015.

Much has been made by the QRU of the 'major impact' injuries have had upon the Reds' 2015 season.

Virtually every QRU media release mentions it prominently, RG ditto with every new statement he makes, the QRU Chairman explained away the loss v Tahs as a result of the 'large number of injured players compared to the Tahs having hardly any', the Foxtel comms go on and on about the negative impact of Reds injuries each Reds match, and so forth. The return of many of these injured players is now being positioned by QRU PR unit as 'restart' for the Reds' 2015 season, etc.

'Injuries' is the headline excuse on steroids, there is rarely any mention by the QRU of any other factor explaining or justifying the Reds' very poor S15 season to date. 'The lap of the Gods' seems to be the sole party held accountable by the Ballymore HQ.

When considering this I found the data supplied by SANZAR via the link below illustrative. It summarises each S15's squad injuries as at the most recent date. Whilst there is an unsurprising variation in the number of declared-as-injured (or suspended) players for each team, it's revealing that both the Bulls and the Stormers have almost as many injured players out as do the Reds, yet both these teams barely mention this fact and both sit markedly higher up the 2015 S15 ladder than do the Reds, indeed the Stormers are consistently amongst the best performing teams this year, thus far.

http://www.sanzarrugby.com/superrugby/match-centre/injury-list/

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Maybe if the Bulls and Stormers were performing worse they'd be trotting out that same excuse as the Reds.

I'm guessing there's also a big difference in the amount of Reds related news you're seeing compared to the Bulls and Stormers.

It seems like a pretty natural excuse to run with particularly as you are trying to provide hope to fans and encourage them to keep turning up later in the season, particularly when lots of star players return.

If they get the injured players back and continue to struggle then presumably different excuses will need to be found.

T

TOCC

RH I did a post a week or two ago aimed at the S&C program at the Reds and the number of injuries at the Reds in 2014-2015, for lengthy injuries of over 5 weeks the Reds have been near the top of the list both years, you can add the likes of Ed Donoghue and Ben Tapuai to that list for 2015.

In terms of games missed due to injury the Reds have been in the top two for both seasons, stormers are actually fairing quite well, that Stormers "injury" list also include players who are been rested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

'Injuries' is the headline excuse on steroids, there is rarely any mention by the QRU of any other factor explaining or justifying the Reds' very poor S15 season to date. 'The lap of the Gods' seems to be the sole party held accountable by the Ballymore HQ.

Out of interest, how would you have the Reds marketing department operate in the current environment?

Hound

Bill Watson (15)
The obvious question will be what happens if the return of the injured players does not have the desired results of wins or at least better performances. Then we go back to the coaching Staff ?? :oops:

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Out of interest, how would you have the Reds marketing department operate in the current environment?

Just stop trying to hype things up. They bring out these little snippets promoting games which just ignore the climate amongst the supporters. A simple message of we need your support more than ever. They tend to over reach in my view.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Maybe if the Bulls and Stormers were performing worse they'd be trotting out that same excuse as the Reds.

I'm guessing there's also a big difference in the amount of Reds related news you're seeing compared to the Bulls and Stormers.

It seems like a pretty natural excuse to run with particularly as you are trying to provide hope to fans and encourage them to keep turning up later in the season, particularly when lots of star players return.

If they get the injured players back and continue to struggle then presumably different excuses will need to be found.

I disagree re the highlight.

The fans aren't mugs, they/we don't just lap this stuff up like it's gospel as it exits the QRU's PR machine.

Way better and with more integrity and honesty would be recognise that there are, along with injuries, genuine performance issues on display as well that are beneath the playing and outcomes standards that Reds' members could reasonably expect or, importantly, have been told to expect by the QRU since 2011.

The Reds PR machine bombarded my email Inbox late in 2014 with extensive claims re how great things would likely be in 2015 given the 'upgraded' squad, new stars recruited etc and that these attributes should justify me in renewing my Platinum membership, etc. They can't have it both ways.

Whatever, communicating with integrity and honesty (which absolutely can be done without damning coaches and players) is always way, way better for fan and member morale than concocting excuses that 90% of these groups know are far from the real story unfolding and are designed to kid us along rather than treat us with some respect that a paying customer (we fund the game, in part) deserves.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
RH I did a post a week or two ago aimed at the S&C program at the Reds and the number of injuries at the Reds in 2014-2015, for lengthy injuries of over 5 weeks the Reds have been near the top of the list both years, you can add the likes of Ed Donoghue and Ben Tapuai to that list for 2015.

In terms of games missed due to injury the Reds have been in the top two for both seasons, stormers are actually fairing quite well, that Stormers "injury" list also include players who are been rested.

That was a good piece TOCC. You were absolutely right to raise questions in the way you did re the Reds' S&C program being, or not being, of the calibre and capability it should be. Over seasons, a pattern is emerging.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)

I'd much prefer something like this (below) as a core QRU PR message or overall comms approach. I think it'd resonate far more positively and genuinely with Reds members vs the growing perception amongst members I know that the QRU is 'in chronic denial mode', obsessed with excuse-making vs explanations, and treating members as mugs or rugby illiterates who can't assess what they are seeing each match:

'Whilst recognising the unfortunate impact of injuries so far in 2015's season, the QRU acknowledges that this year's Reds' performances and game results have been well below the standard our members and fans have come to expect and have every right to expect from this club.

'We want our fans to know that every single aspect of the Reds' coaching and playing capability and application is being monitored and will be subject to objective performance assessment criteria. We don't accept failure lightly and we don't want to make excuses when we let our stakeholders down. It's totally up to us to accept responsibility and make the changes and improvements we need to gain better outcomes for all our stakeholders.

'The Reds coaching group and all players know you, our customers. deserve better performances than we have so far delivered this year, and the QRU's management is working intensively to ensure both our playing quality and match results improve as rapidly as possible.'

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I'd much prefer something like this (below) as a core QRU PR message or overall comms approach. I think it'd resonate far more positively and genuinely with Reds members vs the growing perception amongst members I know that the QRU is 'in chronic denial mode', obsessed with excuse-making vs explanations, and treating members as mugs or rugby illiterates who can't assess what they are seeing each match:

'Whilst recognising the unfortunate impact of injuries so far in 2015's season, the QRU acknowledges that this year's Reds' performances and game results have been well below the standard our members and fans have come to expect and have every right to expect from this club.

'We want our fans to know that every single aspect of the Reds' coaching and playing capability and application is being monitored and will be subject to objective performance assessment criteria. We don't accept failure lightly and we don't want to make excuses when we let our stakeholders down. It's totally up to us to accept responsibility and make the changes and improvements we need to gain better outcomes for all our stakeholders.

'The Reds coaching group and all players know you, our customers. deserve better performances than we have so far delivered this year, and the QRU's management is working intensively to ensure both our playing quality and match results improve as rapidly as possible.'

That's a huge billboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.