• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

He was understandably in the squad for the last games due to injury. It wasn't understandable that he was constantly favoured over Davies.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Davies was and is a better player

On that line of though what does the reds back division look like outside of 9-10-12 for next year

12 options: Tapuai, Finger, Hunt?
13 options: Kerevi, Finger, CFS
Wingers: JOC (James O'Connor), CFS, Turner, JJ...
Fullbacks: Hunt, JOC (James O'Connor), JJ?

We need some pacy fellas for some depth in the outside backs

T

TOCC

Davies had a shit run, i had no problem with him been dropped at the time given he dropped the ball with the try line in sight on a number of occasions, as a winger you have one primary job and he was failing at it..

Davies performance was much improved in the second half of the season, whether that was because he received a kick up the ass after been dropped or found some form from another reason, we don't know.

I thought JJ deserved the opportunity, it was a poor outcome though...

T

tranquility

And?
If the team is successful then who cares if RG is still coach, heck Tom Carter could be the coach and I wouldn't care as long as the team is winning.

You missed the point.

If the players don't like RG, and as TWAS suggested they would only have to play one more season until a new coach was appointed. However this thinking is flawed because if the players don"t like him, it will be hard for them to give it everything because they realise his job is tied to their success. The essence of playing for the coach.

T

Train Without a Station

I don't agree. Players are playing for their contracts and their careers. They are not just playing for a coach, they are playing for themselves.

A team will lack team work, sacrifice for each other and good players re-signing for less, but if they players are good, they should still manage good individual performances, which there has been a lot of, but lacking the team cohesion to maximise this.

T

TOCC

You missed the point.

If the players don't like RG, and as TWAS suggested they would only have to play one more season until a new coach was appointed. However this thinking is flawed because if the players don"t like him, it will be hard for them to give it everything because they realise his job is tied to their success. The essence of playing for the coach.

You don't think the two are two two are mutually conducive, If players are in a winning team, earning wallaby selection and pay rises that they would be supportive of a coach, regardless of who he is.

T

tranquility

You don't think the two are two two are mutually conducive, If players are in a winning team, earning wallaby selection and pay rises that they would be supportive of a coach, regardless of who he is.

So you think, if he has lost the dressing-room, it only happened after we started losing? You think the players had faith in his coaching in pre-season?

If that is the case, we have the wrong players.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
If we're looking for 'past their prime' marquee imports to play in the tight five, Thorn would be an infinitely better buy.
I haven't seen Chabal play any rugby lately. Is he even currently contracted/playing anywhere?

EDIT: I'll add to that, last time I saw Chabal play top level footy which was a few years ago, he'd seemingly lost a fair amount of impact.
His value would be as a PR signing. Even then, in Brisbane, Thorn would provide more value due to his time at the Broncos.

T

Train Without a Station

sooooo earlier in this thread i posted an (apparently) false comment about us signing Chabal for a year for marketing and hardening up forwards - at a low price coz he has retired but always wanted to play super rugby.. wellllll my buddy working at the reds informs me that it is actually now the new hottest rumour amongst staff in ballymore HQ.

would this be a positive or desperate signing?

I would say it is the worst marquee signing ever.

The guy was a fucking myth in his prime for starters. Never quite offered the impact and work rate that you needed in a loosie, never quite offered the grunt needed at a lock. He was essentially the worst of both worlds in a Dean Mumm type mould. He was massively overhyped due to image. Essentially all style no substance. So he'd offer nothing on the park. We need results to improve marketing, he won't help.

Secondly on marketing appeal, he won't bring in the casual fans we are losing because they won't really know who he is. Any rugby intelligent fans we are losing will know as per my first paragraph and won't be impressed by the signing.

I predict a failure in all aspects other than initial short lived media hype.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Reds fans looking for a barnstorming #8 would do well to check out Pat Sio playing for Eastwood last Saturday. Reminded me of Samo picking the ball up out of a less dominant scrum with one hand. Reminded me of Palu smashing into blokes taking them an extra 5-10 meters every carry. You can see it on Iview. Close game. but he will probably end up at the brumbies with his brother.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

tranquility

0.jpg
This bloke wouldn't be the worst. Jean Deysel, from the Sharks.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Reds fans looking for a barnstorming #8 would do well to check out Pat Sio playing for Eastwood last Saturday. Reminded me of Samo picking the ball up out of a less dominant scrum with one hand. Reminded me of Palu smashing into blokes taking them an extra 5-10 meters every carry. You can see it on Iview. Close game. but he will probably end up at the brumbies with his brother.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Impressive display last weekend. Trialled for the Brumbies this year but wasn't signed. Don't know if there is still any interest there, but signs are that he would make it at Super level in time.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I guess he'd have to look at where the opportunity is. The Brumbies will loose Mowen this year but keep all their other backrowers, with Ita Vae returning.

The Reds on the other hand are loosing who? Quirk is reported to be leaving. Would he want to come up and play 6 at the Reds and battle with Browning and McDulling?

The family connection might keep him down south. Also no indication the Reds want him. They have reported that they have this area covered.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Pat Sio seems to be a fair way off at this stage. He didn't make the U20 squad because he wasn't deemed to be in good enough condition.

He's certainly got a lot of promise and a year or so more and a heap better fitness and he could be good to go.

I'd certainly suggest he isn't going to be be a bruising, linebending backrower in 2015 in Super Rugby though.

The Reds need someone who is going to make that impact in their best matchday 23 next season, not another longer term development option.

I don't really think he's particularly good, but Lopeti Timani would be a better option in 2015.

If Ben McCalman became available the Reds would be crazy not to try and sign him.

Status
Not open for further replies.