• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

something

Jim Clark (26)
Frisky at 10 looked composed. Duncan had an off night for sure, but yeah - that's what trials are for, calm the nerves a bit

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
The reds set piece play was strong last night, just as it was for the majority of last season.

I think Stiles is clearly a very capable guy in coaching the forwards in the technical aspects.

In general play, the reds get blasted off the ball a lot.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Anyone that watched the whole game have any comments other than scrum, maul and line out?

Did we do anything else well?
Any if the young fellas kill it or suck?

T

TOCC

A lot of comments have been made in the 'match' thread...

Apart from the negative comments, there were some other good parts outside of the forwards.. Kuridrani, JJT and Kerevi all went pretty well running the ball hard and finding space for each other.

In defence there were a lot of dominant tackles with Kerevei, Kuridrani, Magnay, A.Fainga'a and Karmichael all putting on some good hits. The defensive structure went ok in the first 1/3, but started to laps in the '2nd half' once the likes of Genia, Shatz, Horwill, Gill and Slipper went off

K.Hunt went well without doing anything special, but he did some good work getting involved at the rucks and you could see him talking a lot in the defensive line. Genia was another who i thought had a good game, made a few good sniping runs down the blindside with JJT and Kuridrani.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
The stream was a bit patchy for me so it was hard to pick out specific players at times but there were a few things i noticed aside from the scrum/maul/lineouts (which it thought were all pretty good):

Hunt and Paia'aua give us a couple of big boots and Kuridrani should get some good time on the wing this year, his combination with Kerevi is pretty good. Defence still needs work but it felt like there were more dominant tackles than last year. I also thought Genia looked good and sniped well, he seems to be on the right track to regaining his form. Overall we looked pretty rusty, though the conditions can't of helped.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
The reds set piece play was strong last night, just as it was for the majority of last season.

I think Stiles is clearly a very capable guy in coaching the forwards in the technical aspects.

In general play, the reds get blasted off the ball a lot.

Scrum was strong even with no Holmes. They seemed to act and be committed to each other. Shame the Wallaby back 5 don't do the same.

Reds line outs were excellent.

Backs need plenty of work but Taps and JOC (James O'Connor) will give some composure.

Duncan will only get better - won't be hard . I'd persevere with him again this week. He'll probably and hopefully have a blinder.

Would have liked to see Hunt return the ball at pace. We'll, maybe next time.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
All KHunt on the brief report of the trial on nine news this evening. Should be worth a few more mentions before the season gets going.

T

TOCC

Scrum was strong even with no Holmes. They seemed to act and be committed to each other. Shame the Wallaby back 5 don't do the same.

I was surprised how well the Reds front row of Faagase, Ready and Paraka held up and achieved marginal dominance in the last 3rd given they had two back-rowers scrummaging in the 2nd row and a lightweight back row of Robinson, Gun and Lolo.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
One can only hope some of the injured guys are ready to go for the Brums in 2 weeks.

Hopefully Taps JOC (James O'Connor) Simmons. Plus Thomson Will make a big difference

B

Bobby Sands

I'm looking forward to the coaching input Thompson will add to the squad as much as his on field prowess.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
He doesn't look particular big (in comparison to the likes of Paraka, Kite and Talakai) but Faagase scrummages as well as those guys, especially in a demanding position like TH. I'd be interested to know his numbers for his lifts.

Has he played for the under 20s or schoolboys before he ended up at the Reds? He just burst on to the scene in 2014 seemingly out of nowhere

B

Bobby Sands

I believe he is from outside the general talent pathways, maybe somewhere south of Brisbane? Exciting, because it appears that he has plenty of upside.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
To me young Sef did extremely well. Pretty sure the kid is from Logan and has good genes. I think his Dad played for Samoa or Tonga.

Nice kid who has worked very hard to get to this level.

It's very early but looks like a good long term option at THP for the Reds

Status
Not open for further replies.