• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bobby Sands

It all depends, I still think we have plenty of options.

K could very easily play 10, and JOC (James O'Connor) 15 or vice versa.

Duncan would find his feet, play 10 and the leave the other two in the back three.

If JOC (James O'Connor) plays 10 you might look at bringing in a big winger like Kuridrani.

I don't think our backline will be an issue come round 1, no matter who we roll out.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Hunt has told to Graham to play at 10? WTF?

It all depends, I still think we have plenty of options.

K could very easily play 10, and JOC (James O'Connor) 15 or vice versa.

Duncan would find his feet, play 10 and the leave the other two in the back three.

If JOC (James O'Connor) plays 10 you might look at bringing in a big winger like Kuridrani.

I don't think our backline will be an issue come round 1, no matter who we roll out.

I don't like JOC (James O'Connor) at 10. I prefer him at winger or fullback

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Anyone ever think that the bad play at 10 was the result of the massive ego he had been carrying as early games at 10 he was fantastic..
If the ego's gone he has all the skill to be a world class 10..

Reactions: gel

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Rewatching the first few minutes of the match right now while I take a break from working to eat something and I've noticed a couple of things.

Duncan was being hidden at hooker on defensive lineouts, or at least the handful that I saw. He put on some pretty big hits playing NRL U20s (yes, I'm aware it's U20s) so I'm guessing there must have been issues at training to spur on that decision - maybe part of a new defensive pattern for the Reds?

Why the fuck are our forwards standing and tackling so high 1-to-2 men off of the ruck? Lots of Greco Roman going on losing soft meters without any attempt to maul over or "choke" the ball carrier by the rest of the pack.

Eating some humble pie here with that Gill yellow. Not the right kind of mongrel. If he wants to take up boxing with QC (Quade Cooper) in the off-season, he's welcome to. Not during matches. Not sure what he could have been doing other than standard blocking that every flanker does in every match that could have set Stirzaker off like that.

Neat fact from the Reds' front page too - Rebels only won 38% of their own scrum ball. The number of resets was still madness, though.

@Tomikin

Don't know, unless he'd let his ego cloud himself for long enough to completely forget how to play the position - because it's exactly what happened during the series and even in some of the Super Rugby games leading into it where he played at 10. Was doing things you'd expect a roving winger to do, did very few of the things you'd expect a 10 to do.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Anyone ever think that the bad play at 10 was the result of the massive ego he had been carrying as early games at 10 he was fantastic..
If the ego's gone he has all the skill to be a world class 10..
Perhaps. But I think it would be more likely that if he was excelling so much at training then his sub par performance would be either just nerves, or the Reds coaching being ill equipped to properly prepare players for rugby matches.

I haven't seen any indication of a massive ego so can't really comment on that, but I have seen nerves have an impact on a debutant and I have repeatedly seen the Reds coach ill prepare the team and individuals for matches every game that they have played since he took over as head coach. Therefore I would say it is one (or both) of those two rather than an ego thing.

Don't forget, he played For a team he he had not played with before, at a level he had not played before, in a game he had barely ever played before, in one of the most demanding positions possible. Tough ask for anyone, I would think.

He probably shouldn't have been made run on 10 against the rebels as a starter, but given that was the decision I think it is important to now cut him some slack and give him another crack and see that decision through.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Eating some humble pie here with that Gill yellow. Not the right kind of mongrel. If he wants to take up boxing with QC (Quade Cooper) in the off-season, he's welcome to. Not during matches. Not sure what he could have been doing other than standard blocking that every flanker does in every match that could have set Stirzaker off like that.
my only criticism of Gill,is that he didn't give the ranga 9 the biggest thrashing of his life.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
For my money, Duncan is the best option to play at 10 until Quade returns, providing he is given adequate support from whomever is playing 12. In other words, I think the Reds need to play a ball distributor at 12, at least for the first couple of rounds and see how it goes. Hunt would be my first choice for that role, then JOC (James O'Connor). If Reds management feel the need to move either of those two closer to the action in Quade's absence then I would rather see them playing at 12 where they have a fraction more space to play with.

T

TOCC

For my money, Duncan is the best option to play at 10 until Quade returns, providing he is given adequate support from whomever is playing 12. In other words, I think the Reds need to play a ball distributor at 12, at least for the first couple of rounds and see how it goes. Hunt would be my first choice for that role, then JOC (James O'Connor). .

Extra playmakers or distributors don't need to be at 12, a fullback can be used in this role as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Of course they can. But I believe the psychology of it all also plays a factor. Duncan is a young player who has only ever played in an age restricted comp, shouldering the Reds is a much bigger ask. Knowing he has someone like KHunt sitting on his outside shoulder would most likely be very reassuring for him and hopefully build confidence. That might sound silly but I believe its a very real thing.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
League is a lot more direct than rugby union which encompasses a lot of angles and tracking for the defender.

Duncan may still becoming to terms with these type nuances. Moving forward I imagine he will defend there, even if he has to utilise the O'Gara speedbump technique

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Big question this week is Does RG stick with Duncan and give him another shot. Personally I think he should.

However Hunt has put his hand up and I think RG will go with that option. QC (Quade Cooper) is out for several and our season could be cooked on a rookie gamble

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Stade has been gunning for Sanchez for fucking ages so it's hardly a surprise if that's where he ends up. There was just no way Bath was going to be able to afford him without breaking the salary cap that half the UK is pretty sure they've already broken.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
The only reason the other half "aren't sure" is because their sides are breaking it too. The competition management over there is absolutely rooted.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Big question this week is Does RG stick with Duncan and give him another shot. Personally I think he should.

However Hunt has put his hand up and I think RG will go with that option. QC (Quade Cooper) is out for several and our season could be cooked on a rookie gamble
I would be starting Hunt at 10.
If QC (Quade Cooper) was fit,they would still have given someone else time at 10,as a bit of insurance against future injury.
So why would they go "all in" on a rookie,that disappointed in his debut?
It's probably in the kids interest to be brought along slowly,rather than have to sink or swim.

Status
Not open for further replies.