• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
Looks like Adam Thompson has arrived in Brisbane today.

Anyone know when the team for Fri is named?

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
tomorrow (Thursday)/

Not according to Jim Tucker...

Screen Shot 2015-02-04 at 2.33.40 pm.png

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
as I've said on the match thread, Hunt will start at 10.

Who plays fullback, I'm not sure. Turner, Frisby and JOC (James O'Connor) the candidates I guess.

Red-L

Frank Nicholson (4)
Does anyone else worry about the possible problems moving hunt to 10. If he goes OK at 10 he will most likely start the season there. JOC (James O'Connor) will then play 15 which I think he will be great at. However, when quade comes back into 10. What to do with Hunt. He will be back to square one learning a new position from scratch if you move him back to 15 and JOC (James O'Connor) over to the wing. This will hurt the reds and of course any chance of Hunt making the WC squad. I know its alot of what ifs but I just think the safest option would to be run JOC (James O'Connor) at 10 and let Hunt get really good at 15. PS What is the go with Tui?

B

Bobby Sands

JOC (James O'Connor) hasn't trained with the squad so it would be difficult for him to run the show says RG.

K has put his hand up for the responsibility, and has all the makings of a strong direct 10 with a booming kicking game. He will go fine in either position, and I will find it very hard to believe if he will not be at the WC barring injury.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Does anyone else worry about the possible problems moving hunt to 10. If he goes OK at 10 he will most likely start the season there. JOC (James O'Connor) will then play 15 which I think he will be great at. However, when quade comes back into 10. What to do with Hunt. He will be back to square one learning a new position from scratch if you move him back to 15 and JOC (James O'Connor) over to the wing. This will hurt the reds and of course any chance of Hunt making the WC squad. I know its alot of what ifs but I just think the safest option would to be run JOC (James O'Connor) at 10 and let Hunt get really good at 15. PS What is the go with Tui?

I think you're over thinking it, if he goes well at 10 he'll be well positioned to switch back to 15 or to 12. It sounds like a good problem for the reds to have and it'll probably help his WC chances, where his easiest way in will be through his utility.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Based on Graham's comments I believe he probably would have opted to start JOC (James O'Connor) at 10 if he was available. Looking forward to seeing how Hunt goes at 10. Hopefully Duncan can come on at half time and show that he deserves game time.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Does anyone think Frisby should be a starter for the season given Genia is leaving?

I think he is close to Genia in skill at the moment and I dont think any deficiencies would be enough to lose us a game if he started.

I also want him to get credit for his form in the NRC last season.

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
Frisby has certainly been going well but Genia was the worlds best halfback for a bit there not long ago. Sure his form hasn't quite got back to that peak but he's had a few injuries since that breakout season in 2011. I think Frisby should get plenty of chances but you can't ditch a player of Genia's ability because he might be off next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Does anyone think Frisby should be a starter for the season given Genia is leaving?

I think he is close to Genia in skill at the moment and I dont think any deficiencies would be enough to lose us a game if he started.

I also want him to get credit for his form in the NRC last season.

As a coach, RG will do what he sees as best for the Reds to achieve the Super 15 trophy this year, not next.
Which means Genia will get much of the game time.
However having said that, I don't think he'll monopolize the position like he did in 2011-2013. Also Frisby will come on as fresh legs now that he is more accomplished in the position.
If the Reds should drop away as the season progresses (god forbid), I would then see Frisby getting more of the run ons with next year in mind, assuming Genia is off overseas.
Reports coming in from France have proven not to be totally reliable in the past.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Based on Graham's comments I believe he probably would have opted to start JOC (James O'Connor) at 10 if he was available. Looking forward to seeing how Hunt goes at 10. Hopefully Duncan can come on at half time and show that he deserves game time.

Hunt isn't the messiah, really solid unit, loved his charges at pace from fullback in the NRL, but his work at 10 in France was as a stop gap defensive unit, he wasn't making decisons

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
To be fair Biarritz played a style of rugby at the time that didn't exactly facilitate the 10 influencing the game with any real ball-playing. Up the middle, draw a penalty, let Yachvilli kick - rinse and repeat.

His kicking was quite good in the semi against Munster when he played 10 (not sure if he played 10 other than that) and that's how Biarritz wanted to control the game, so he kicked more than I think he'd be inclined to normally. Sort of a skewed example because of the game plan of the coaching staff.

That said, I have fears we're going to be kicking the shit out of it with Karmichael at 10 and I felt like we already kicked a lot more than I was expecting in the trial v. the Rebels. If we devolve into a scrummage-and-kick team after letting our only 90%+ kicker go I'm going to have a hernia.

Was quietly hoping to see Frisby given some more time at 10 considering the length of Cooper's injury and the upside of JOC (James O'Connor)/Hunt in the back three.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
2015 - The tribalism starts again

International Tribalism between Saffa, Kiwi and Australian teams. Then we have franchise tribalism within each country. It becomes tough for Australian supporters to barrack for a Saffa or Kiwi team against another Australian franchise (not their own) so as to promote their own team.

Theirfore
Number 1 - Reds
Number 2 who cares
Number 3 who cares
4. Force
5. Rebels
6 Brumbies

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
To be fair Biarritz played a style of rugby at the time that didn't exactly facilitate the 10 influencing the game with any real ball-playing. Up the middle, draw a penalty, let Yachvilli kick - rinse and repeat.

His kicking was quite good in the semi against Munster when he played 10 (not sure if he played 10 other than that) and that's how Biarritz wanted to control the game, so he kicked more than I think he'd be inclined to normally. Sort of a skewed example because of the game plan of the coaching staff.

That said, I have fears we're going to be kicking the shit out of it with Karmichael at 10 and I felt like we already kicked a lot more than I was expecting in the trial v. the Rebels. If we devolve into a scrummage-and-kick team after letting our only 90%+ kicker go I'm going to have a hernia.

Was quietly hoping to see Frisby given some more time at 10 considering the length of Cooper's injury and the upside of JOC (James O'Connor)/Hunt in the back three.

hence my comments

Status
Not open for further replies.