• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
That is great news for the Reds and Junior.

While size isn't everything, I reckon another 10 kgs wouldn't go astray on him but wonder if he would still retain his speed and slipperiness if he bulked up.

I reckon that it should be made part of their Super Rugby Franchise agreement that each of the 5 must run an annual localised Ballymore Kid competition, with a rookie contract being made available to a previously unsigned NRC player (from any of the NRC Franchises). They pretty much do it anyway ATM but it would be nice to formalise it and introduce a bit of competition to the process.

T

TOCC

Well deserved for Junior...
Without the NRC I doubt he would have been signed, they would have looked at him and thought "too small", but his strike rate is impossible to ignore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RedRocket

Bob McCowan (2)
Agree with all the above. Very well deserved spot. We've done well with smaller wingers in the past - Rocket Rod - but defense will undoubtedly be an issue @ Super Rugby level.

Reactions: gel

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
That is great news for the Reds and Junior.

While size isn't everything, I reckon another 10 kgs wouldn't go astray on him but wonder if he would still retain his speed and slipperiness if he bulked up.

Well, he has time to improve his body. 4 months for the next Super Rugby season. So he can gain 5 kg for his first season and then others 5 for his second year and he even could be an international player.

With a good nutritionist and a good S&C coach he could do it quickly.

The kid has potential, he could be the next Digby Ioane. That's the kind of body he needs to be an international player with his height

T

TOCC

Junior is a completely different style of player to Digby, they are at opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to wingers. Trying to put 10kg on a frame like Laloifi's would erode everything which makes him a good player.

If Junior wants an international player to model his game off then he should look to someone like Brian Habana.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Habana is a substantially bigger guy.

Shane Williams or Gio Aplon would be his benchmarks.

His biggest attributes are speed, acceleration and footwork. He needs to get a little bigger (which will come with professionalism) without sacrificing those things.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
A better role model right now might be Santiago Cordero. Same age, same size but the Argentine 14 is absolutely electric. Hell of a player.

Jr will either be strong enough and brave enough or not. Only time will tell. But personally I think it's a good punt by the Reds (The first nice thing I've said about them recently)

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Junior is a completely different style of player to Digby, they are at opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to wingers. Trying to put 10kg on a frame like Laloifi's would erode everything which makes him a good player.

If Junior wants an international player to model his game off then he should look to someone like Brian Habana.

I never said that they are the same kind of player. But Junior needs to gain some weight if he want to be an international player some day. At least 5 kg.

Habana weighs almost 100 kg, 94 to be exact. Completely different kind of bodies

pjm

Billy Sheehan (19)
I never said that they are the same kind of player. But Junior needs to gain some weight if he want to be an international player some day. At least 5 kg.

Habana weighs almost 100 kg, 94 to be exact. Completely different kind of bodies

Habana would be 85kg tops despite what his profile says.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)

International player? Let the poor guy have a couple of seasons of Super Rugby before we start worrying about that.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)

I read that he is a roofer by trade, really tough job, those bloke have to be amongst the toughest and strongest going around.....and he has blistering speed to boot.

I don't think he needs more weight, as he is he has made a massive impact this year, he should work with what he naturally has.

T

TOCC

International player? Let the poor guy have a couple of seasons of Super Rugby before we start worrying about that.

I don't think anyone was suggesting that he is an imminent international player, just highlighting successful super rugby/international players of similar size and stature that he should look to model his game off and use as a benchmark. Every young player does it.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't think anyone was suggesting that he is an imminent international player, just highlighting successful super rugby/international players of similar size and stature that he should look to model his game off and use as a benchmark. Every young player does it.

And every punter on the forum talks about a player's future Wallaby career before they've even played a Super Rugby game :D

Let's hope the Reds have put in his contract that he has to turn up to Mad Monday next year dressed as Prince.

The kid strikes me as a good character. Hopefully he cracks it at Super Rugby level because he could be an entertaining guy (both on and off the field) to have playing professional rugby.

Status
Not open for further replies.